This easy biscuits and gravy recipe uses bacon and cheese in the biscuits along with sage and thyme in the sausage gravy, making it a great brunch dish! (Jump directly to the recipe.)
This post was sponsored by Bisquick. I’m teaming up with Bisquick to bring you fun and innovative recipes using Bisquick. I was compensated for this post and for developing the recipe. However all opinions below are completely my own and not endorsed by Bisquick.
It’s not the electric third rail of Southern cooking (that would be cornbread) but biscuits and gravy is pretty high up there in terms of opinions of what should and shouldn’t be done. When I asked my friends on Facebook about the cream gravy for said dish, they had opinions. LOTS of opinions. And everyone had their own take on it. From going all out and adding herbs and fancifying it, to the straightforward, no-frills bacon grease, flour and milk with salt and lots of pepper.
Turns out gravy is almost as polarizing as other traditional Southern dishes like fried chicken and cornbread. Being born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri I identified as being from the Midwest, with some southern influences. Strange it may seem, most East coast and West coast folks view Missouri as the south. But ask anyone in the deep south and they’d just sneer at the idea of Missouri as the south. Nevertheless, biscuits and gravy was something I ate at diners all the time in St. Louis; usually after going to the bars, slightly tipsy and always ravenously hungry. Ah youth…when I could dance all night long and eat with abandon.
Once I moved out to San Francisco I ended up shifting to a more “California” style diet of fresh, local, seasonal ingredients and dishes. Mostly because that is what was offered and what everyone else ate, but also because some dishes, like biscuits and gravy, were more difficult to find. Though there are a few decent places in San Francisco that offer biscuits and gravy, I really had to look hard to find them. So when I did have a craving for a food that reminded me of my wild youth, I just had to resort to making it at home.
Bacon and Cheddar Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
By Irvin Lin
This biscuits and gravy recipe isn’t difficult. Because I’m not truly southern, I don’t adhere to the strict doctrine of making gravy with bacon fat, flour, milk, salt and pepper. I make it with breakfast sausage as well as a touch of rubbed dried sage and fresh thyme, but I’ve made notes in the ingredients list for those items to be optional if you want. That said, I definitely fancify the biscuits! Bisquick makes biscuit making so incredibly easy that I figure why not go the extra step and add some cheese and bacon! Southern folks may be aghast at this recipe but I stand by it. It’s makes for a great brunch dish.
8 ounces (225 grams) bacon, diced fine
2 1/2 cups (350 grams) Bisquick
1 cup (115 g or 4 ounces) grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons liquid bacon fat or melted butter
2/3 cup buttermilk
Sausage Cream Gravy
1 tablespoon liquid bacon fat or melted butter
8 ounces (225 grams) breakfast sausage
1/4 cup (35 grams) Gold Medal all-purpose flour
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon rubbed dried sage (optional)
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line two baking sheets with a silicon baking pad or parchment paper. Cook the bacon until crispy. Move to a bowl lined with a paper towel. Pour the bacon grease into a heatproof bowl or measuring cup and set aside for use later. No need to clean or wipe out the pan.
2. Place the Bisquick, cooked bacon and cheddar in a medium sized bowl and toss together. Stir the bacon fat or melted butter into the buttermilk then make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the liquid into the center of the well. Stir together with a large spatula until most of the liquid is absorbed, then gently knead the dough with your hands until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
3. Roll the dough out into it is 1/2-inch thick, then cut out 3-inch round disks of dough and move them rounds to the lined baking sheet. Bake the biscuits in the oven for 10 minutes or until the edges of the biscuits start to look golden brown. While the biscuits are baking, gather the scraps of the dough together and re-roll the dough out again. Cut out more rounds of dough and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with any remaining scraps. Refrigerate the second batch of biscuits while the first round of biscuits are baking.
4. Once the first round of biscuits are done baking, move the baking sheet to a wire cooling rack and move the second batch of biscuits from the refrigerator to the oven and repeat baking for 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
5. While the second round of biscuits are baking, make the gravy adding the bacon fat or melted butter to the same pan you made the bacon in. Add the breakfast sausage, cooking and breaking it up with a wooden spoon or rigid spatula until they are in small pieces. Once the sausage has browned, sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Add the half and half a little bit at a time, stirring until the dairy starts to thicken before adding more. Once all the dairy has been added and the gravy is thick, stir in the sage, fresh thyme. Taste and season with salt and lots of fresh ground pepper.
6. Once the biscuits are baked, move them to a cooling rack from the baking sheet. Serve the biscuits with gravy.
Makes 12 biscuits, serves 4 to 6 people.
Json formatter says
This look yummy!
Making these biscuits this weekend.
Very useful! Thank for sharing
instagram video downloader says
This looks amazing! I will definately give it a try!
I hope I will manage as I am not a great cook!
Wow amazing.KEep posting
Really good recipes . will try to make it
short life says
This look yummy!
sush khati says
awesome… biscuits are looking like tasty.
Sanaya Shegal says
Sausage Cream Gravy part is my favorite. So thanks for the informative post.
Thanks for giving us the choice of making it either Northern or Southern style.
BMW ICOM A2 scanner says
Amazing article you have written a lot of information. Appreciate your point of view and please keep
This is amazing invention Biscuit with sausage , herbs and Cream Gravy .It is so delicious Recipe.
I love your recipe. It gives so many great ideas to make some special dish like this. I wanna try to to make this delicious food like this.
It is so Yummy.Thankyou for sharing this wonderful article.
I Love to get your recipe. it gives me so many tips to make delicious dishes like this.
Love to get this recipe. Thanks for share with us.
Breaking News says
Nice blog with amazing information….
love to read about this ,
Waiting for this next post..
Sonali Varma says
Enjoy hot Bhabhies – Desi Bhabhi Directly to your room. We provide Hot service to our clients. independent Desi Indian bhabhi available 24*7 cities.
sports news says
thanks for this valuable post
Indian Bhabi says
We have a dream woman who will make your dreams real. Whatever your desires are, they will be fulfilled by our Indian Bhabi Escorts. You can now get nicer escort services you never got before in your life.
I have read this article it is very informative I really liked it, so I learned a lot about the correct way to make comments.
Anjali Tiwari says
Enjoy full sex from our sexy and hot girls in Nashik escorts in luxury hotels at very affordable prices. We are 24*7 available for your Complete Sexuality. So more information visit here:-
Anisha Roy says
Wonderful story and please write more Items on Your site and I want to read more about this story. Thank you for story.
Ansha Malik says
The tested and proven content You Have Mentioned is really exclusive. I like checking out the details that you put on your content.
Brandi Love says
I had been Looking for this information a long time, here you share the messages, I’m very happy to see the perfect article. Awesome!
Mahi Jain says
Such an intriguing Blog You’ve Written I Am Really Impressed About Your Knowledge Thanks For Sharing with Us.
Maya Madam says
Also great site here with all of the Valuable information which you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.
Miss Purvi says
Wonderful post. I’m a regular guest of Your site and appreciate you taking the time to keep the nice site
Rubiya Malik says
Thank you so much for sharing valuable Info! I was looking something just like this for my own project! I am quite thankful I came across to your site.
Simran Roy says
This is definitely a fantastic article. You make This information interesting and engaging with your viewers. I really appreciate your kindness in sharing such amazing article like this.
Wow, Interesting Post.
Thank you for the wonderful post
Tez Tarrar: Delhi News, Hindi News (हिंदी न्यूज़), Latest Khabar, Breaking News in Hindi of Delhi. तेज़ तर्रार पर पढ़ें दिल्ली के ताज़ा समाचार |”
Piya Sen says
Hi i am piya sen thanks for sharing
I conceded your article to my accomplice and I imagine that individuals will like your article and give great data.
emaar digi homes says
Very Interesting Post, thanks for sharing
Dating Girl Kolkata says
Its Realy Useful Post
Dating Girls Kolkata says
It’s Really Nice post Thans for share this post
Its Really Nice Post
very nice blog thank you for shirring
Its Really Nice Post
myra kapoor says
We make something new in cooking and different things which are tastier.
This post to introduce your substance you.
This is a good cooking for anyone who loves to cook. I love it, and I’m sure you’ll love it too.
This blog is great. It reflects reality. You can enjoy our here in few minutes
Yummy! We would like to have this in our offices. Will be great if you can help!
For details visit – https://secureace.wordpress.com/
Amazing detailing on recipe.
Gits World says
Thanks For Posting this Blog.
GD Goenka Signature School says
Amazing Recipe……..Thanks for this blog.
Leather Wallet says
Thanks for this Amazing Blog.