Best Belgian Waffle Recipe (Yeasted Belgian Waffles with Bacon)

by Irvin on February 23, 2015 · 10 comments

This is quite possibly the Best Belgian Waffle Recipe, featuring a yeasted batter and the addition of thick cut bacon!

Best Belgian Waffle Recipe, with a yeasted batter and bacon! Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

I’ve mentioned before that I’m quite the maximalist when it comes to food. It’s one of those affections of mine, where every time I make a recipe, I try to figure out how to tinker with it or how to make it just a little more complex. It kind of drives my partner AJ crazy but I can’t help it. I just like to layer on flavors and textures into my food. So when I woke on a Saturday morning with an intense craving for waffles (something that hasn’t happened in awhile in this house), I decided to make the Best Belgian Waffles, a moniker I do not use lightly. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

The Best Belgian Waffles Recipe. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

So here’s the thing. You don’t get to call a recipe the Best Belgian Waffles, unless they are really good. I mean drop dead, completely awesome, can’t stop eating them good. I’ve made a lot of Belgian waffle recipes before and it wasn’t until I made this one that I decided these deserve that label. This waffle has everything that a waffle should have. It has a deep flavor courtesy of the yeast in it. It has a crisp crunchy outside thanks to the use of fine ground Semolina flour (otherwise known as Durum flour). And it has bacon in it. Not because it needs it but because I happen to have some homemade cured bacon in the house.

Belgian Waffles Recipe featuring a yeasted batter and bacon! Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

And yes, I am completely aware that adding bacon to a Belgian waffle is probably gilding the lily. I was actually just discussing with my friend Nancy on Facebook how bacon has become such an insanely trendy thing. But sometimes it just makes sense. And when you add them to an already excellent Belgian waffle recipe…well you get the Best Belgian waffle ever. Trust me on this one folks. It’s worthy of the title.

If you like this Belgian waffles recipe, check out some of my other waffle recipes:
Chocolate Waffles with Vanilla Swirl
Quinoa Goat Milk Belgian Waffles with Double Cherry Maple Syrup

And check out these other awesome Belgian waffles from around the web:
Desserts for Breakfast’s Orange Cinnamon Belgian Waffles with Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge
5 Second Rule’s Lemon Ricotta Waffles
This Week for Dinner’s Liege’s Belgian Waffles
Ezra Poundcake’s Chai Waffles with Vanilla Whipped Cream
Shutterbean’s Buckwheat Belgian Waffles

Best Belgian Waffles Recipe, made with yeasted batter and bacon! Recipe with step-by-step photo instructions by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

Tessa @ Handle the heat February 23, 2015 at 8:23 am

This recipe looks amazing, I totally trust that it’s the “best!” Looks like I need to get a Belgian waffle maker asap!!

Pat Fusco February 23, 2015 at 1:32 pm

I believe….I believe…I believe.

Lizthechef February 23, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Oh, the bacon makes it – I love how carefully you develop your recipes, adding ingredients in such a careful, deliberate manner…Now, when is breakfast?

mila February 24, 2015 at 6:48 am

Irvin, these look so fantastic!!! Makes me want to go out and dust off my waffle maker!!! And naturally the addition of bacon only makes them better!

Thomas February 24, 2015 at 8:17 am

Sounds delicious, a couple questions.

Step 2 – I’m guessing that’s supposed to be *not super crisp?
Step 3 – Should the eggs be pre-beaten before adding to the mix? How much should you stir?

I just got some Bobo’s Mountain Sugar syrup for Valentine’s day and I’ve been wondering what was good enough to put such expensive stuff on, this seems like the answer!

Irvin February 27, 2015 at 12:11 am

Hi Thomas!

Thanks for catching those two things! Yes, the bacon should NOT be super crisp. They get cooked further in the waffle iron. And you can pre-beat the eggs but I just threw them in and mix them together thoroughly with the baking soda with a balloon whisk. One less dish to clean.

I’ve clarified both steps in my recipe above. Thanks so much and if you make these, let me know how they turn out for you and if you like them!

Thomas March 8, 2015 at 8:50 am

Thanks, Irvin, they were delicious! I was concerned about how thick the batter was, but they turned out great. The family didn’t really go for the bacon in the waffle, but I loved it.

Will definitely make them again, with optional bacon 🙂 Tempted to try it with coconut oil instead of butter.

Also, not sure if it was the batter or the bacon grease but I forgot to grease in between a batch and it didn’t stick. Very unusual for my iron.

Kari February 24, 2015 at 12:00 pm

These sound so amazing! My dorms had a Belgium waffle maker and I think I lived on them throughout college, but I haven’t taken the time to make them lately. This recipe is making me rethink that!
Kari

June Burns March 1, 2015 at 11:55 am

Wow those look amazing! So fluffy and crispy 🙂

Maria April 2, 2015 at 5:52 am

These are not ‘Belgian’. THIS is a Belgian waffle: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/classic-belgian-waffles