Marble Cake Recipe, with Meyer Lemon and Chocolate AND a Major Announcement!

by Irvin on January 27, 2014 · 83 comments

This easy marble cake recipe is one of the best ever. I should know. I’m about to write a book on the subject of marbled, swirled and layered desserts.

Marble Cake Recipe with Meyer Lemon and Chocolate. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

If you haven’t figured it out by the title of the blog post or by my summary sentence above, I’ve got a major announcement. I’m writing a cookbook! Some of you may already know about it, as it’s been one of those “badly kept secrets”. It’s already been announced in publishing industry newsletters and websites but now I’m finally officially announcing it here on Eat the Love!

Marble Cake with Meyer Lemon and Chocolate. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

My book is called Marbled, Swirled and Layered, an Exploration of Flavor, Color and Texture and it’s a baking cookbook about flavor combinations. It’ll have recipes for swirled brownies, layered cookie bars, marbled cakes and much more. All with fabulous flavor combinations and easy step-by-step technique photos. Each recipe (nearly all of which have never appeared on this blog) will also have alternative recipes and suggestions for different flavor combinations using the same basic recipe so you can truly make the desserts your own.

Publisher Marketplace announcing my cookbook Marbled, Swirled and Layered!

In addition there’ll be a whole chapter on how to convert all the recipes to gluten free using commercial available gluten-free flour mixes as well as custom blend gluten-free flour mixes. I’ll also be sprinkling in baking tips and other information on how to improve your baking and punch up the flavor on all your baked goods. Oh and I’ll be photographing the book as well!

Marble Cake Recipe with Meyer Lemon and Chocolate. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

My agent (the amazing Stacey Glick of Dystel & Goderich Literary Management) sold my book last month, right before Christmas (Best. Christmas. Ever.) and now I’m in full-blown recipe developing mode. The book is scheduled for Fall of 2015, to be released by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and edited by the fabulous Justin Schwartz. If you’re not familiar with the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, perhaps you’re familiar with some of their authors like Dorie Greenspan, Rose Levy Beranbaum, Francois Payard and my pastry idol Sherry Yard. And soon to be me. Whaaat?!?! Yes!!! It’s true.

Chocolate and Vanilla Glaze over a Marble Cake made with Meyer Lemons and Chocolate. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

I have grandiose plans to continue posting here on the blog, though you might be seeing savory dishes appearing more often (like my popular Chicken Wings Week, which apparently everyone seemed to like). But if I disappear for a little bit of time here and there, fear not faithful readers. It’s because I’m in the trenches, creaming sugar, browning butter and cracking eggs (or more like digging out the little bits of shell that fell into the batter and washing ground in cookie dough out of my shirt). I’ll probably also be doing a call for recipe testers in the next few months so keep an eye out for that. I want to make sure my recipes work for all levels of bakers and in all sorts of kitchens! In the meanwhile, check out this Marble Cake recipe with Meyer Lemon and Chocolate. It’s adapted from a recipe that I’m developing for the cookbook and I think it’s pretty fantastic.

Marble Cake with Chocolate and Meyer Lemon. Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

If you like this marble cake recipe, check out some of my other marbled and swirled recipes on this blog:
Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
Raspberry Cookie Bars with White Chocolate Chunks
Marbled Bread with Chocolate Chai and Orange Brioche Loaf
Blueberry Citrus Brownies, Gluten Free
Passion Fruit, Green Tea and White Chocolate Cookies

And while you at it, feel free to follow me over on Pinterest, where I’ve started a Marbled Swirled and Layered board for recipe inspirations!

Claudia January 27, 2014 at 5:14 am

Congratulations and Hurray! I just know it will be amazing! Can’t wait to read it!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 27, 2014 at 5:19 am

This cake is gorgeous! The two glazes are awesome!!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen January 27, 2014 at 6:06 am

Congratulations!!!! I can’t wait to buy a copy :)

Dave January 27, 2014 at 6:13 am

Congrats on the cookbook! It sounds like it will be fantastic.

Denise January 27, 2014 at 6:48 am

Congrats! Love the idea of swirled sweets, and cannot wait to see the book! Hope you give us little peeks along the way ….

Yes, did love the wings series!!

The Suzzzz January 27, 2014 at 7:04 am

Congratulations! I too, loved the wing series, but I love everything on this blog…so no big surprise there. I can’t wait for your book, a year and a half is a long ways away and I’m not known for being patient, but good things and all that, right? Maybe by the time it comes out I’ll actually have more time to bake and try out all the recipes.

Garrett January 27, 2014 at 8:37 am

So very proud of you!!!

Susie January 27, 2014 at 8:52 am

So proud, knew you would get it!

Winnie January 27, 2014 at 9:12 am

Irvin!!!! What fabulous, fabulous news. And what an original and amazing-sounding book. I CANNOT WAIT.

Cheryl January 27, 2014 at 9:18 am

IRVIN, this is fabulous, in every single way. Enormous congratulations!

Annie January 27, 2014 at 9:32 am

Congratulations, Irvin! I knew you could do it! Your hard work has finally paid off. But of course, the real hard work is still ahead of you.

I would love to test recipes when I can. What a great excuse for baking!

Tori Avey January 27, 2014 at 9:47 am

Congrats Irvin, that’s fantastic!! It was only a matter of time. ;)

Jeanne January 27, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hooray, hooray! Congratulations!

Julie January 27, 2014 at 10:27 am

How exciting! What a unique (and delicious) book concept…can’t wait to see the finished product!

merry jennifer January 27, 2014 at 10:28 am

Oh, I am so, so happy for you, Irvin! This will be a glorious book, I just know it. Many congratulations!

Lauren January 27, 2014 at 10:29 am

You are my baking idol, so this is such exciting and fabulous news! Congratulations! I absolutely cannot wait for your book.

Shauna January 27, 2014 at 10:36 am

Yahoo!! It’s internet official! I can’t stop smiling. xxoo

Keri January 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

Congratulations Irvin! I’m glad to see your work get the well-deserved permanence of a book.

Annelies January 27, 2014 at 11:36 am

I’m grinning right now at this news and the fun that will be swirled, layered and marbled. Congrats!

Ryan January 27, 2014 at 11:36 am

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see it!

Shikha @ Shikha la mode January 27, 2014 at 11:39 am

Holy moly, congratulations – that’s so exciting!!! Can I get your autograph now before you become too famous? I’ll definitely pull the “we’re homies because we’re from SF” card!

carrie@bakeaholicmama January 27, 2014 at 11:53 am

First off congrats!! That’s major news! Second… I want a slice of this beautiful cake!

Rachel (Harmonious Homestead) January 27, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see the beauty you are sure to create.

Scott_D January 27, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Way to go Irvin! Hearty congratulations.

Elise January 27, 2014 at 12:24 pm

YAY YAY YAY!!! Congratulations Irvin!

Lori @ RecipeGirl January 27, 2014 at 12:38 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!! I knew you’d do it. We share the same agent and editor. It’s gonna be great- good luck!!! :)

Brandie @ Spoon and Saucer January 27, 2014 at 12:40 pm

OMG so excited for you! I didn’t know, but I am not surprised at all. :)
I LOVE the gluten-free emphasis for conversion. It’s SO needed!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

tami January 27, 2014 at 12:41 pm

congrats! so excited for you :)

MyMansBelly January 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Congratulations Irvin!!!

Liliana January 27, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Congratulations! What an amazing experience that must be for you. Your cake looks amazing. I definitely will be making it.

Aimee @ Simple Bites January 27, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Big baked swirled congratulations to you, Irvin! You’re one of my baking gurus, so I’ll be eagerly awaiting this cookbook. Enjoy the process!

Donna @ The Slow Roasted Italian January 27, 2014 at 1:04 pm

How exciting Irvin! Congrats.

Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator January 27, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Sooo happy for you, and thanks for keeping the gluten-free community in mind too!

Mary Fran | FrannyCakes January 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Oh man oh man oh man. What a Christmas present! I love the idea of swirled treats (And if you need a gluten-free recipe tester, you know who to call :) ).

Congrats on the well deserved book!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen January 27, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Congratulations, Irvin! The best Christmas ever, indeed! So happy to know you will be handling your own photography, too. So much work ahead…but, you’ll do it and do it well and the rewards will all be there! Can’t wait to pre-order! xo

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes January 27, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I am so happy to see this circle come complete Irvin. I think back to that epic post you wrote about not getting a cookbook deal. I cannot say how happy I am for you. You are so deserving of this deal!! Awesome:) Can’t wait to get a copy.

Teresa January 27, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Congratulations! I’ll be making room on my cookbook shelf (well, shelves) for this one. Well-deserved.

Cher January 27, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing this one hit the shelves next fall.

Lori January 27, 2014 at 2:47 pm

What amazing news! Congrats! I cannot wait to see it! I have a feeling yours and Stella’s will be the best new additions to make baking collection over the next two years.

kellypea January 27, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Very excited for you — congratulations! Sounds like a tremendous amount of work, but what a cool concept! And that cake is gorgeous.

Kevin @KevinIsCooking January 27, 2014 at 3:09 pm

That really is fantastic news Irvin, what a wonderful way to ring in the New Year with a cookbook deal. That’s a definite dream of mine as well, congratulations.
Looking forward to it and trying one of last weeks chicken wing recipes this week, too.
All the best!

elizabeyta January 27, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Congratulations! It sounds like so much fun. I love the concept of extra idea for each recipe. They spur me on.

Chelsea January 27, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Congratulations! What wonderful news. I can’t wait for Fall 2015! Also, thanks for the great chocolate cake tip; I had no idea adding the cocoa powder to boiling water would enhance the chocolate flavor. I’m working on modifying a chocolate cake recipe myself…guess I know what I’ll be trying next time I make it!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 27, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Wow! Congrats!! What a cool concept, I can’t wait for that book. And this cake. SO beautiful!

mcs3000 January 27, 2014 at 5:44 pm

BIG congrats, Irvin! Tell your publisher to print a zillion copies. It’s going to be a mega hit.

Belinda @zomppa January 27, 2014 at 6:46 pm

WOOHOO!!!!!! Are you going to sign my copy? And send a slice of cake with it??

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out January 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm

SHUT UP. That is SUCH an amazing concept for a cookbook! AHH I cannot wait to see it! Knowing you, it is going to be just mind-blowingly gorgeous. Congrats!!

Ralph January 27, 2014 at 6:59 pm

You seem surprised? I always knew that you would blow up. Congrats big time…

Rian N. January 27, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Congrats, Irvin! :D I can’t wait to see your work in bookshops everywhere… and in my own kitchen! Wishing you the best in this endeavor~

Nutmeg Nanny January 27, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations Irvin! How exciting! Plus that bundt looks amazing. It’s almost midnight and I could totally eat a slice :)

Janice (@KtchnHealsSoul) January 27, 2014 at 9:06 pm

The first cake I ever baked from scratch and by myself was a marble bundt. I was maybe 11 or 12 years old. I had just a list of ingredients (no directions), and I mixed them in the wrong order and ended up with a marble bundt (yay!) but with lumps so everybody thought there were nuts. Nope. Those were nuggets of dry ingredients that I didn’t mix in properly ;)
So marble bundt cakes will always hold a special place in my heart!
Congratulations, Irvin! I hope you enjoy the cookbook writing process and I know you will put together a great book!

Lillian | Sweets by Sillianah January 27, 2014 at 9:36 pm

ahhh congrats, Irvin – this is such awesome news! I’ll definitely be first on line to grab a copy of your book. I love the title, as you make the most beauteous marbled, swirled and layered goodies (like this gorgeous cake)! And I also love that you’ll be writing about how to convert the recipes to gluten-free… can’t wait!!

Elizabeth Minchilli January 28, 2014 at 2:40 am

Congratulations on your book!!! Very well deserved and I’m sure it will gorgeous.

Miss Kim @ behgopa January 28, 2014 at 2:54 am

That is awesome news! Excited for you. The cake looks amazing!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes January 28, 2014 at 6:33 am

Congratulations! Sounds like a book I could fall in love with. Put me on the list of those who would like a review copy :)

Megan January 28, 2014 at 9:08 am

Very exciting! And I will be happy to put some recipes to the test! I love to bake and eat for a greater good! haha

jane maynard January 28, 2014 at 9:23 am

marvelous news – your book will be awesome!

as awesome as I’m certain this cake is. yum!

Diana @ Appetite for China January 28, 2014 at 9:30 am

Congratulations, Irvin!!! This will be such a stunning book. Can’t wait!

Jenny Hartin January 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

Hooray! SO excited for you and for us – a new cookbook!!

Felice/All That's Left Are The Crumbs January 28, 2014 at 10:21 am

Congratulations! I’m looking forward to adding it to my collection.

Holly January 28, 2014 at 11:50 am

I am so happy for you! Your cookbook will definitely make it onto my shelf .

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker January 28, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Congratulations!! Your book will be stunning and definitely will need to be on my bookshelf.

Kim Beaulieu January 28, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Congratulations Irvin. You know I’ll be first in line to get a copy. So happy for you.

And this cake, oh my, I am in awe. This is just gorgeous.

Toni | Boulder Locavore January 28, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Beside myself with excitement! Congratulations to you! {lucky us!!!!!}

Margie MacKenzie January 28, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Congrats! You may make a baker out of me yet! Can’t wait for your book!

Karen January 28, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Although I figured it was only a matter of time before you scored a book deal, this is such a sweer treat to hear about it. Congratulations, Irvin!!!

Carla January 28, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Congrats on the book! The whole book concept sounds intriguing and can’t wait to check it out.

Gail January 29, 2014 at 10:30 am

Thrilled for you, Irvin! This is going to be some gorgeous book!!!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 29, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Congratulations on such a fun book! This cake is amazing looking…I love the two glazes on it!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen January 30, 2014 at 6:15 am

Epic news, Irvin! I’m beyond excited for you! ♥

Casey January 30, 2014 at 6:45 am

Belated congratulations – I’m so glad it’s coming to fruition! And I hope it goes gangbusters… then you won’t have to live on top of all your cake stands anymore. :)

Kate@Diethood January 31, 2014 at 9:52 am

This is fantastic!!! I can’t wait to see it! Congratulations, Irvin!

P.S. GORGEOUS CAKE!!

Jessica Robinson January 31, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Congrats on this! I’m very excited to see the book upon its release and would be honored to review it! Looking forward to every little detail.

Jennie @themessybakerblog January 31, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Congratulations, Irvin! I love the title, and I’m so excited to see the wonderful flavor combinations. This cake looks marvelous. Pinned.

Mabel Chan January 31, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Yay. first time reader to your blog. I love your recipes!! And excited about the book release! congrats!

Faye February 1, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I cannot wait to buy your book! Who better to write about flavor combinations than you? You consistently come up with unique/original flavor pairings. But do I have to wait until 2015? Congrats!!

Wendy | Around My Family Table February 2, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Oh this looks divine! And congrats on the book….can’t wait to see it!

Liren February 3, 2014 at 11:39 am

Irvin, I am extremely happy for you! What wonderful news, I can just imagine how much sweeter Christmas was for you! Hurray! I have a special place in my heart for marbled cakes – it was one of my favorite things my mother used to bake – so I can’t wait to see it when it is released :) Congratulations!

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom February 4, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Congrats!!! I’ll definitely be waiting for the cookbook with bated breath. . what a great concept . . . and hello?! This cake. . love it.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 6, 2014 at 11:02 am

Congrats again, Irvin! I can’t wait to get my hands on your book!!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 15, 2014 at 9:20 am

Congrats! So excited for you! And I literally cannot stop staring at this cake — such gorgeous photos! I had to show my husband so he could drool along with me =)

Coreen Healy June 23, 2014 at 10:09 am

This cake looks great! Would love to be a tester for your cookbook, especially on the gluten-free side. I do a lot of food prep for people with special diet needs and I’m always looking for gluten free recipes that everybody will enjoy. (Because why make separate desserts if the gluten-free tastes fantastic?)

Irvin June 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hi Coreen! Thanks for the offer. When I’m ready for recipe testers, I’ll give you a holler!