Spotlight on Savory: Green Garlic, Bacon and Thyme Scones with White Pepper Maple Glaze, a Gluten Free Ratio Rally Post

by Irvin on May 4, 2011 · 23 comments

Once again, the first Wednesday of the month rolls around and the fine folks of the Gluten Free Ratio Rally all decide to post around a common item. This month’s baked good is scones, hosted by the amazing Lauren of CeliacTeen. There was no actual set ratio for the scone given this time (though a few ratios were suggested), so I dug around and looked at some of my old recipes and created my own ratio. With a couple of trial runs, I’m thrilled to present to you a savory scone for your breakfast enjoyment, the Green Garlic, Bacon and Thyme Scone with White Pepper Maple Glaze.

Green Garlic, Bacon and Thyme Scones with White Pepper Maple Glaze

Compared to some of the other baked goods I’ve worked on, the scone recipe came about pretty easily. I only had to make a couple of test rounds before I was happy with the recipe. So happy that AJ turned to me, after taking a bite and proclaimed to me “It’s breakfast in a bite!” and that was only the first test batch round.

Green Garlic, Bacon and Thyme Scones with White Pepper Maple Glaze

There’s something nice about taking a break from the sugary sweet baked delights that I normally do. I’ve been buried knee deep in desserts and sweets lately and when I realized that the Gluten Free Ratio Rally was coming up, I knew that I wanted to do something savory based. Scones, the overlooked lovechild between a muffin and a biscuit in the baking world, were the perfect thing to play with.

Green Garlic, Bacon and Thyme Scones with White Pepper Maple Glaze

I came across these new (to me) green garlic at the local organic neighborhood shop. Where have you been all my life green garlic? It’s a young Spring version of garlic, milder than actual garlic and similar in texture to a green onion or scallion. Think of a fresh green version of garlic, and you have an idea of what it taste like. You can get it at farmer’s markets and produce stands and it’s definitely worth tracking down. It’s wonderful in sauces and soups, and it’s fantastic in these scones, as it doesn’t have the harsh bite of garlic, and really brightens up the flavor.

Green Garlic

The green garlic along with the thyme, really lighten up the scone. These aren’t heavy, they aren’t dry and they aren’t sandy or crumbly like some scones that I’ve had at coffee shops. They’re delicate and have a wonderful crumb, with hint of smoke from the bacon and a touch of maple syrup sweetness on top to compliment everything else. Think hand held breakfast, but not in a scary hockey puck fast food sort of way. More of an amazing wholesome breakfast (well as wholesome as bacon can be I guess) all bundled up into one tiny little triangle wedge. In short, they are the perfect thing to reach for in the Spring morning, with the sun shining bright on your kitchen counter and your freshly brewed cup of coffee is steaming hot.

GLUTEN-FREE RATIO RALLY

For those who don’t know, the Gluten Free Ratio Rally is a group of bakers who are baking the same item each month, gluten free, based on a ratio. There are a number of awesome bakers who are involved. Pop on over to this month’s host, CeliacTeen and check out all the fantastic other creations or follow the hashtag #gfreerally on Twitter.

Green Garlic, Bacon and Thyme Scone with White Pepper Maple Glaze

Belinda @zomppa May 4, 2011 at 5:21 am

I need to find this green garlic (kinda like the Green Lantern…is that the Seth Rogan movie??). Anyways…LOVE this combination – know a ton of people who would adore this gluten free treat!

Jeanette May 4, 2011 at 6:14 am

Wow, what a creative savory scone! Love the white pepper maple glaze. So many wonderful scones in this Gluten-Free Ratio Rally!

Brian @ A Thought For Food May 4, 2011 at 6:50 am

I am a serious scone lover… and have had a few savory ones as well as the sweet. But I’ve never actually made any that were savory. Will have to give it a shot!

Caneel May 4, 2011 at 7:31 am

Oh these look delicious – and I have to find some of that green garlic! I’m so glad I’m not the only one who wanted to do a savory scone for the rally. And the maple glaze over savory? Wow.

Rosa May 4, 2011 at 8:05 am

What unusual scones. I really like the flavors you chose. Really mouthwatering and beautiful.

Cheers,

Rosa

Winnie May 4, 2011 at 10:30 am

I am so glad you made a savory scone…these are so lovely! ps Congrats on your Saveur nod (I was one of the peeps who nominated you, just so you know)…hope you win and looking forward to meeting you at BlogHer Food :)

Charissa (Zest Bakery) May 4, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’m a sucker for savory scones and for thyme, and this recipe has both. LOVE! The scones really do sound light and delicate and I’m intruiged with the maple glaze too. Delish… What I wouldn’t give to be a fly in your kitchen. :)

melanie May 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm

green garlic! I haven’t heard of anyone using this since I was a kid and we lived in the boonies and had a huge garden. Its the perfect Spring flavor element. Love your flavor combination and also your comment about bean flours – so true. I think the most beautiful touch is the Maple Glaze (the absolute best way to eat bacon is doused with maple syrup). I find your recipes and your writing so inspiring! (I think I may have said that last month… oh well, its still true!)

gretchen May 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm

i think yours are the creations i look forward to seeing most each month! you’re like the (not-so-creepy) willy wonka of gluten-free baking. love love.

Britt May 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I love that we can always count on you to have the longest recipe title in the bunch–it’s made me smile each month. The description of a scone as being the “lovechild between a muffin and a biscuit” is so spot-on, and your recipe looks just fabulous!

Jenn May 4, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I love how you go 150% for these challenges. What decadent and awesome scones, I’m totally making this version next time!

marla May 4, 2011 at 7:58 pm

The maple glaze on your savory scones sounds amazing! I too could not find a ratio – but came up with my own & thankfully it worked well the first go around. Fun to be in the rally with you :)

faith May 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I have never used green garlic but I imagine that it tastes kind of like garlic scapes. (And oooh my goodness those are GOOOD!)

Sense of Home Kitchen May 5, 2011 at 6:09 am

Scones are terrific, but I have never thought about baking a savory version. Bacon, thyme, maple = brilliant.

~Brenda

Patty May 5, 2011 at 8:12 am

I love savory breakfasts – these sound amazing! Great job on the challenge – I love the ingredients you chose. :)

Bill May 5, 2011 at 8:52 am

Wow, this sounds amazing. I’ve never cooked gluten-free, I can see I’ll need to get some new ingredients to do these.

Jim T May 5, 2011 at 8:54 am

You weren’t kidding that I was soon to be in a plethora of scone recipes (and processes). All of the posts have definitely helped my baking process with scones, something we barely ever touched on in culinary school and something it seems every person you meet has a completely different idea of the ‘perfect scone’.

I, personally, love your long titles for your recipes. I know instantly what’s in the recipe and i know it’s something from Eat the Love. Your sound heavenly; I’ve always loved the combo of bacon and thyme.

Tara May 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

{Sigh} Bacon & maple, together. One of the love stories of my life. Thank you for combining them in a gf scone! And great idea for the white pepper. I had an instructor in culinary school who was kind of crazy over white pepper, but in a good way. ;)

Delicious post!

Vijitha Shyam May 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Wow, loved the combination of bacon and maple. Delicious looking scones. Planning to bake this for the SFO bakesale. How long do they last?

Shauna May 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm

You continue to astound me.

TR May 6, 2011 at 4:00 am

Your creativity is amazing. Utterly amazing. I’m sharing this with a friend who is going to LOVE it.

blogbytina! May 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm

yum! I love a savory scone!

brooke @B & the boy! May 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I need to find this green garlic to utilize in my cooking. I really like the juxtaposition of the sweet and savory, and since I often pour syrup over my turkey bacon it seems perfectly natural.