Vegan Green Bean Casserole – Gluten Free, Grain Free and Paleo Friendly

by Irvin on November 18, 2013 · 50 comments

Looking for a Green Bean Casserole recipe using REAL ingredients? Try this vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, paleo-friendly recipe that tastes the best!

Vegan Green Bean Casserole, Gluten Free, Grain Free and Paleo Friendly as well! Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

You know that feeling you get when your mom pulls out those drawings you did when you were in junior high and showing them to your friends and loved ones during the holidays? “You were so talented! Look at this!” she’ll exclaim loudly, while you try in vain to climb under the sofa to hide. Well that’s sort of how I feel when I look at old blog posts of mine. Yet somehow, recipes and posts do pop up, especially when it’s seasonal hits like my vegan green bean casserole. Since Thanksgiving is just around the corner, I thought it was time for me to update that specific recipe. It was already a vegan and gluten free green bean casserole, so I thought, since I’m redoing, why not make it grain free and paleo friendly? I know there are tons of people out there could use an allergen friendly and paleo thanksgiving recipe. Not only that, but the shifts I did with the recipe actually make it BETTER. Yep. This is one is a keeper. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Vegan, Gluten Free, Grain Free and Paleo friendly Green Bean Casserole. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

If you’ve read this blog before, you’ll know that I don’t have many food restrictions. Other than a minor lactose intolerance that I power through when I have a craving for ice cream (though, after recently getting a review copy of Kelly Brozyna’s Dairy Free Ice Cream cookbook, that might not be an issue either!) I’m extremely lucky to be able to eat most anything I want. But I also know that many people out don’t have the luxury, and that means I often strive to make food that is allergen friendly. But, because I CAN eat gluten, dairy, grains and such, it also means I know those foods taste like. When I develop a recipe it has to stand up to the original. Or, ideally, be better than the original.

Classic Green Bean Casserole made vegan, gluten free, grain free, and paleo friendly. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

So trust me when I say that this vegan, gluten free, grain free, paleo friendly green bean casserole is good, nay great. Not only is it significantly better than the canned mushroom version (duh) since it’s made from real ingredients but it’s actually better than the milk and cream version that I had originally based the recipe on. The nuts like cashews and almonds play so well together with the earthy green beans and the mushrooms in this dish. In fact, this recipe pretty much has taken a permanent place in on my Thanksgiving dinner table, a table full of omnivores that eat flour, grains and dairy goods. And, in the mountain of food that gets produced for the celebratory Thanksgiving, it’s the one that usually gets finished. How’s that for testament to this fantastic dish?

Check out these other awesome green bean recipes from around the web (warning, not all of them are gluten free, vegan, or paleo friendly, but they all sounds pretty darn delicious!):
Nom Nom Paleo’s Roasted Green Beans with Fish Sauce
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Stir-Fried Green Beans with Lemon, Parmesan and Pine Nuts
Healthy Seasonal Recipes’s Green Beans with Walnuts and Balsamic
What’s Gaby Cooking’s Grilled Green Beans
Barefeet in the Kitchen’s Turmeric Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 18, 2013 at 6:05 am

This vegan version is totally fabulous. Awesome side dish!

Miss Kim @ behgopa November 18, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I can only imagine how delish your Thanksgiving table must be every year. I hope you will post pics of your Thanksgiving dinner this year!

Irvin November 20, 2013 at 7:48 pm

We always try to remember to take photos but we’re usually so frazzled trying to make all the food and get it out for everyone that we forget! Hopefully this year we’ll remember…

The Suzzzz November 19, 2013 at 7:30 am

Is it weird that I’m reading this at 8:30AM and kind of want that casserole for breakfast?

Irvin November 20, 2013 at 7:48 pm

No. It’s seriously so good!

Shaina November 19, 2013 at 7:38 am

I can’t wait to try this. I make green bean casserole from scratch, but the cashews in here are calling my name. Lovely.

Irvin November 20, 2013 at 7:48 pm

The cashews are really nice. It’s rich without being heavy like the cream and milk version…

Arthur in the Garden! November 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

I was just thinking about what I would take home for Thanksgiving…..

Lauren November 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

This looks fantastic. Cashew cream is awesome isn’t it? Can’t wait to make this.

Irvin November 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I adore cashew cream! I need to use it more often. I often forget until I get around to making this recipe each year…

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious November 20, 2013 at 11:28 am

Amazing! Definitely need to make this for Thanksgiving!

Aimee @ Simple Bites November 20, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I have no allergies, intolerance’s or food preferences to speak of, yet I kinda want to hug you right now because I can share this with all my friends who DO. xo

Irvin November 20, 2013 at 7:49 pm

And you know I’d totally hug you back!

Kate@Diethood November 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm

The worst was when they would make me play the violin in front of their guests while they were showing pictures of me at recitals… ;-)

But, seriously, these are the best looking green beans. I’m not a fan of that green bean casserole everyone makes, but this, this is beyond beautiful!

Irvin November 20, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Thanks Kate! And I can completely relate to that. Thankfully I stopped taking piano and violin lessons once junior high ended…

Kalyn November 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

Yum! I am loving the sound of this. Thanks for the shout-out for my Stir-Fried Green Beans with Lemon, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts too, love that recipe.

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes November 26, 2013 at 4:14 am

Irvin, I wouldn’t have believed it possible to make green bean casserole, vegan, gf and paleo until I saw the amazingness that is this recipe. It looks gorgeous. Thanks for including my recipe too. Sharing!

Lou Lou November 26, 2013 at 7:32 am

Beautiful recipe! I have a quick question: I am making this over an hour before I plan on serving it because I’m taking it to a thanksgiving dinner at someone else’s home. Can I reheat in an oven? Or do you have any particular suggestions for reheating? Thank you!!

Irvin November 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Good question! I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be able to warm it up in the oven. But I’m not 100% sure because I’ve never had to do that. If I were in your position, I’d put it in a casserole dish uncovered, without the fried shallots, and heat the entire thing up in the oven set at 350˚F for 15-20 minutes – maybe longer depending on how cold the dish is to statr.

While it’s heating up, I’d probably warm the shallots up on the stove with a touch of oil. That way they keep crisp. But if the stovetop is already in use (prime real estate during Thanksgiving) I don’t think it’ll be a problem just sprinkling the shallots over the dish before you reheat. I’d just keep them separate from each other in the beginning because the steam and heat from the green beans might make them a bit soggy.

Rebecca November 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Hi! Can’t wait to make this for Thanksgiving! Have you ever used cashew meal instead of soaking and blending the cashews? Trader Joe’s just started carrying a raw cashew meal and I was wondering if I could use that instead as the base for the cashew “cream”. Any idea if it would work, and if so, how much to use?

Irvin November 26, 2013 at 10:42 pm

That so funny that you asked that because I was JUST at Trader Joe’s today buying stuff for Thanksgiving and I saw that! Sadly, I’ve never used cashew meal before but a quick google search said it might be a good substitution. Try boiling some water and placing 1 1/2 cups of cashew meal in a medium size pan. Turn the heat to medium and whisk in some of the water until a paste forms. Keep cooking it over the heat, until it becomes creamy, thinning it with more water if it seems to thick. Once it’s creamy, use it in place of the cashew cream that I made above.

Just as a caveat, I’ve never done this before, so I can’t guarantee it’ll work! But if it does, that would definitely cut down on the soaking beforehand. If you try this method, be sure to come back and let me know how it turns out!

Emi December 3, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I tried the raw cashew meal, and in retrospect I still should have blended it like you would whole cashews. It came out kind of gritty, and never really got creamy. Overall it was still good, even though I cheated and bought Aldi brand French fried onions that just happen to be vegan! I might try this again for Christmas and put the raw cashew meal and water in the blender this time. :)

annie November 27, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hi there! Prepping for this recipe and am wondering what you mean by “Place the slices in a medium bowl …”? What slices are you referring to? Thanks for the yumminess!

Irvin November 27, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Hi Annie! Sorry about that. I meant the shallot slices. I went ahead and clarified that in the recipe. Enjoy!

Lola November 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Wow! This looks fantastic. And cashews are my favorite! Found you via NomNom Paleo (whose taste I trust implicitly!). Love your site. Thank you! :)

Irvin November 28, 2013 at 1:22 am

Awww… I LOVE Michelle over at Nom Nom Paleo. She’s the best! I’m super excited about her cookbook. I think it’s going to be fabulous!

S Chan November 28, 2013 at 12:09 am

It’s a good thing Kelly Brozyna left her diary out of her cookbook! Haha!

Irvin November 28, 2013 at 1:21 am

LOL! That’s awesome! Nice catch. I went ahead and changed it in the post (so as not to confuse people) but I kinda want to leave it as is because of your comment. ;)

Jessica November 28, 2013 at 4:57 pm

This recipe was delicious, the sauce was extra creamy and was a hit at my thanksgiving dinner. I would suggest slightly blanching the green beans prior to pan frying them in order to get that tender texture.

Irvin November 28, 2013 at 11:27 pm

That’s a great idea. I personally like my green beans a little more on the crisp side than the tender side but if you like your beans more tender, a quick blanch in boiling water will definitely speed up the cook time! Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving!

Carolina November 28, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I loved this recipe! I just made this for tonight’s Thanksgiving dinner and it was a hit! Thank you so much!!

Penny December 5, 2013 at 12:19 am

I made this tonight and it was totally delicious, I didn’t have any green beans so used fresh asparagus, it was a huge hit and I will definitely be making it again, thank you!

Katerina December 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I made this for Christmas dinner and my omnivorous extended family loved it- even asked for the recipe! So happy to have found a new use for cashew cheese and a healthier version of 2 sticks of butter, 1 quart of cream green bean casserole ;)

K April 25, 2014 at 10:53 am

Just made this, and it is delicious! I absolutely adore the shallot crunch. I used 1 Tbsp of oil (vs 6) for frying, and somehow only needed about 1/2 of the cashew cream; I saved the rest for later. Great recipe Irvin, I’d love to see you do more vegan recipes! :)

Irvin April 26, 2014 at 3:12 am

Thanks so much! I really should do more vegan recipes. I love my vegan friends (and readers!). Thanks for stopping by.

Julia November 4, 2014 at 9:09 am

Found you from Pinterest in my Thanksgiving planning. How do you think this would work with frozen green beans as I’m not sure I’ll have access to fresh in late November?

Irvin November 4, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I’ve never made them with frozen green beans but I think they should. Frozen green beans hold up pretty well and aren’t mushy like the canned ones. I’d definitely give it a try!

Kim November 16, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I have yet to find a substitute for cashews…I am allergic to those! Any ideas on what I could maybe use instead?

Irvin November 18, 2014 at 12:29 am

Are you allergic just to cashews or to nuts in general? I might recommend trying almond instead of cashews but if you are allergic to nuts, you can try substituting sunflower seeds. I’ve never done it myself so I can’t tell you how the final product would turn out but I know people have done it in the past and sun butter is a pretty common substitution for peanut butter and nut butters so I think sunflower seeds might work.

Good luck!

laurie lowe November 23, 2014 at 6:07 am

I was wondering about the paper towels in the baking pan. Do you leave them in the pan?

Irvin November 23, 2014 at 5:18 pm

The paper towels are only there to absorb the leftover oil from the fried shallots. Once you sprinkled the shallots over the plated green beans you can just discard the paper towels or compost them.

Nancy November 24, 2014 at 7:53 am

I would love to make this recipe for my daughter who is allergic to nuts this Thanksgiving. We are not vegan, so can use flour and milk, etc. Could you suggest some substitutions for the cashews and almonds? Thank you!

Irvin November 25, 2014 at 1:17 am

Hi! If you aren’t vegan, you can definitely skip the cashews and almonds. Skip step 1 completely and instead just add 3/4 cup of heavy cream in place of the pureed cashews in the final step.

When frying the shallots, skip the almond flour and the arrowroot starch. Instead, just toss the sliced shallots in 1/4 cup all-purpose flour along with the salt and pepper, then fry like the instructions state!

Hope this helps! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jamie November 25, 2014 at 1:00 am

Can I use extra virgin olive oil? What type of onion is the best…white onion, yellow onion, sweet yellow onion, etc? Can I use vegetable broth? Is there a difference between broth and stock?

Thanks!!

Irvin November 25, 2014 at 1:08 am

Hi Jamie,

You can definitely use extra virgin olive oil. That’s what I use in my house! Just make sure to keep an eye on it as it has a lower smoke point than regular olive oil. Not a big issue but you don’t want your oil to burn!

As for onions, I cook with yellow onions mostly. I’d skip the sweet onions because that will give a sweet taste to the dish. White onions are fine as a substitute but I prefer yellow for cooking and white for raw dishes like salsa.

And yes you can use vegetable broth. They are pretty interchangeable but broth tends to be seasoned with salt, pepper and herbs, while stock is more straightfoward vegetables or meat/bones if you are making a non-vegetarian stock. In the case of this recipe, it shouldn’t matter, but definitely underseason when you cook if you are using broth and taste the end result and adjust your seasoning then!

Enjoy and happy Thanksgiving!

Allison November 25, 2014 at 10:09 am

Hi! Anyone try making this a day or two in advance and then doing the shallots the day of? Trying to get things done today!

Ally Wilton November 26, 2014 at 11:38 am

Made this last year and it was a huge hit!! Thank you. Coming back to it this year with a double recipe. I, too, am wondering about doing a lot of it the day before. Did the shallots early and will try to crisp them up tomorrow. Also going ahead with the mushrooms. Any other insight into how much I can do today to be delicious and easy tomorrow?

Kristina Jennifer November 26, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Just found this on pinterest while at the store! Looking forward to making this delicious treat for the family. I looked through the comments and found a lot of helpful input for adjustments. Going to prep tonight and finish tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!

Dani Hinds December 4, 2014 at 9:43 am

What an excellent dish! I made it two times this Thanksgiving holiday. First, I served it to non-vegans and it they were amazed. The second time I brought to a community event run by Akron Cooking Coalition, where all food is vegan; the casserole was demolished in less than 5 min. I have committed this recipe to memory, and I look forward to making this habitually. Thank you!

Irvin December 5, 2014 at 12:06 am

Yay! I’m totally a non-vegan omni but I think this recipe is better than the regular cream version! In fact I served it this past Thanksgiving along with the turkey and people loved it!