Blueberry Citrus Marble Brownies and a return to the Gluten Free Ratio Rally

by Irvin on April 4, 2012 · 26 comments

I’ve been out of the loop for a couple of months for the Gluten Free Ratio Rally but with the topics of brownies coming up for April, I knew that I had to get back into the game and carve out some time to bake. Brownies, at least the way I love them, are incredibly easy to make gluten free. I prefer a chewy dense brownie, not cakey but not too fudgy. This usually requires less flour and so replacing the all purpose flour with non gluten flour isn’t that difficult. The challenge for me was what sort of flavor twist to create. Enter the Blueberry Citrus Marble Brownie, made gluten free of course.

Blueberry-Citrus-Brownies-Gluten-Free-Ratio-Rally-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-1-lead

I actually stumbled across the combination of blueberry and chocolate while flipping through a book that I received in the mail called Norwegian Cakes and Cookies by Sverre Saetre. AJ jokes that I get a new cookbook a day in the mail but he exaggerates (it’s more like once a week). Truth is, even though I get absolutely positively giddy with excitement every time the doorbell rings and it’s UPS with a package for me, a large number of them end up in the stack, under my desk gathering dust. Yes, under my desk, because I have run out of room on my shelf – a sad indication of my cookbook obsession, but really, leg room is underrated. Of course, getting specialty cookbooks that features cuisines that I’m not familiar with are always more likely to get my attention and ultimately get me into the kitchen. Norwegian Cakes and Cookies fit that bill exactly.

Blueberry-Citrus-Brownies-Gluten-Free-Ratio-Rally-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-4

It, of course, helps that I actually always wanted to go to Norway, or really any place in Scandinavia, which I mentally lump together (something that I’m sure is annoying to the countries of Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Iceland, just as the Canadians probably find it annoying that everyone thinks they are from the United States when they travel). From their gorgeous fjords on the coastline, to their musical exports of Royksopp, Kings of Convenience, and Annie to the fact that my partner AJ once played a Norwegian patriarch in a play, one of these days I will eventually get myself over to Norway. In the meanwhile, flipping through Norwegian Cakes and Cookies (which, by the way, has more than just recipes for cakes and cookie) I found myself wondering where I could get lingonberries or some of the other specialty ingredients to attempt Chef Saetre’s contemporary versions of Norwegian classic treats. Perhaps I might break down and order something online – or brave the crowds at IKEA to see what sort of ingredients they have there.

Blueberry-Citrus-Brownies-Gluten-Free-Ratio-Rally-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-5

In the meanwhile, I found Chef Saetre’s combination of blueberry and chocolate fascinating. I’m not in love with the combination of berries and chocolates, though I’m not against them like some pastry chefs are. But the ubiquitous strawberry and chocolate or raspberry and chocolate seems to be everywhere. Lesser known is blueberry and chocolate, though I see the combination of blueberries with white chocolate fairly often, and in fact make a pretty tasty cookie with that exact combination. The Norwegian Cakes and Cookies book had it paired with milk chocolate in a truffle form. I took it a step further and went with a dark bittersweet chocolate, while punching up the flavor of the blueberry with both canned blueberries in syrup (which worked out well since blueberries aren’t in season) and freeze dried blueberries, trying to balance the assertive flavors of the dark chocolate with the subdued flavors of blueberries.

Blueberry-Citrus-Brownies-Gluten-Free-Ratio-Rally-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-3

The third flavor in the brownie, which almost gets lost, is a novelty citrus fruit that I found at my local store, BiRite Market. Called a Wekiwa Lavender Gem, it’s a cross between a grapefruit and a Sampson Tangelo. The Wekiwa, when cut open, is a lovely pinkish orange color with lavender like aroma. I can’t imagine it is easy to find, so feel free to substitute a common lemon, orange, or grapefruit instead of the Wekiwa. However, if you can source it, give it a try. It’s wonderful in cocktails and adds a lovely subtle delicate perfume to the blueberry jam as well as a complexity to the chocolate.

Blueberry-Citrus-Brownies-Gluten-Free-Ratio-Rally-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-1

As always the Gluten Free Ratio Rally is hosted by a different food blogger each month and this month it’s Mary Fran from Franny Cakes. Be sure to bounce over there to check out the other fantastic brownie recipes that everyone has made. I’m glad to be back in the loop and baking away gluten free especially when the results turned out to be as fantastic as they did.GLUTEN-FREE RATIO RALLY

Special thanks goes to Skyhorse Publishing for sending me a review copy of Norwegian Cakes and Cookies. Though I was sent a complimentary copy of the book, I was not compensated or paid for this post and all my opinions are my own.

Blueberry-Citrus-Brownies-Gluten-Free-Ratio-Rally-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical

Belinda @zomppa April 4, 2012 at 5:40 am

Hmm… what a gorgeous combination. You sure hit the nail on this one. Scandinavian countries…must say…are gorgeous too. Almost unreal.

Jenn April 4, 2012 at 5:47 am

Lovely, Irvin! I love blueberries and chocolate together, though I do wonder why it isn’t a common combination – other berries and chocolate are very often married together without a second thought – strawberries, raspberries, etc… Your version looks absolutely fantastic – and yes, I agree that the best brownies don’t need much flour so making them GF is totally straightforward :)

Ileana April 4, 2012 at 6:27 am

These look so gooey and delicious.

Erin Swing April 4, 2012 at 6:54 am

… and don’t forget the awesome Little Dragon from Sweden. This flavor combo makes sense to me. I’ve worked on some coffee + blueberry flavor projects and it’s great. These look like a gooey delicious mess! As always, breath-taking styling & photos. Glad to see you back!

Irvin April 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I love Little Dragon! I tried to keep to strictly Norwegian bands, but if we are going to expand to other Scandanavian I would have included Little Dragon, Robyn and The Cardigans as well.

And thank you for the compliments on the photos… I’m glad to be back!

Winnie April 4, 2012 at 7:25 am

Irvin these are so lovely! You are a genius ;)

Adina | Gluten Free Travelette April 4, 2012 at 8:37 am

Love the blueberry idea! These are definitely going on my to make list!

~Mrs. R April 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

Chocolate covered blueberries are one of my favorite candies! These sound wonderful. I plan on making them SOON! Thanks for the inspiration Irvin.
Blessings, ~Mrs. R

Caneel April 4, 2012 at 11:14 am

These are beautiful and look delicious! And I’ve never heard of Wekiwa. Oh. Yum. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for those the next time I’m in a more exotic market. Thanks!

Rachel @ The Crispy Cook April 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’ve never had blueberries in my chocolate, or chocolate in my blueberries, whatever, but this sounds like a wonderful pairing. Sort of like a big tasting wine (with hints of chocolate and blueberry). Great job.

Sarah April 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Beautiful post and beautiful photos! I’m going to try to find that Wekiwa!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar April 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm

These look unreal. Love it!

charissa (zest bakery) April 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Gorgeous as always. One of those photos looked like the brownies were floating. After I saw the long stemmed glass dish, it made sense, but it was fun to think of them suspended in mid air.

Beautiful flavor combination as well. Come do a gluten-free pop up! :-p Half kidding.

Irvin April 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I actually would love to do a gluten-free pop up! We should talk about that…

mary fran | frannycakes April 4, 2012 at 7:11 pm

So glad to have you back Irvin!

I love blueberries & chocolate – they sell bags of chocolate covered blueberries at costco and if I see them, I usually have to buy them :)

These look beautiful and sound delicious!

Claire B April 5, 2012 at 4:42 am

I love this combination idea! I don’t think I would have immediately paired blueberry, citrus, and chocolate, but I’m excited to try it! And I’m right there with you in the cookbook obsession….:)

thelittleloaf April 5, 2012 at 5:24 am

I’m not a big fan of chocolate with raspberries or strawberries, but somehow the darker berries work – I love it with both blueberries and blackberries. These brownies look devilishly sticky with all that scented jam…and completely agree, who needs gluten when you want a fudgy dense brownie anyway?!

Kim Bee April 5, 2012 at 9:14 am

I must be old school since I love strawberries with chocolate. Just yesterday I may have been seen dunking some in some leftover chocolate. I am intrigued by the use of blueberry here though. Not something I’ve tried but would totally give it a whirl. Any opportunity to take something healthy and flip it on it’s head is fine with me. I shall wholeheartedly agree us Canucks do not like being called Americans. I mean if you are going to call me American I should at least get the better tv channels, better shopping, and cool cereals out of the deal. Otherwise it’s just not okay. Lookign forward to trying this one out.

Irvin April 7, 2012 at 2:21 pm

No, I actually love chocolate and strawberries too. I’m not super fond of raspberries and chocolate though. Something about the tartness of the raspberries I think….

Also, I had no idea Canadians got boring cereal! At least you guys have poutine. It’s hard to get decent poutine down here in San Francisco…

Tara April 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

Maybe it’s a location thing, but the blueberries + chocolate combo is fairly common here in Maine. And I love it – there’s that wine-y note in blueberries (especially dried and wild ones) that is a perfect partner to chocolate. What’s not as common, however, is adding citrus to the pairing. But I think it’s genius! Especially with the Wekiwa (which I’ve never had or even heard of) – does the lavender note come through? Love your brownie contribution, Irvin, and glad to have you back in the game!

gretchen April 5, 2012 at 7:07 pm

as always, your creation looks divine! (and love the new titles you’re placing in your photos.) and thanks for introducing us (me) to a new fruit… sounds fascinating. well done, and glad you’re back.

Jonathan April 5, 2012 at 10:53 pm

These look and sound delicious! I love unexpected pairings of flavors – just because it’s not often seen doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing. :)

And please add me to the long list of those happy to see you back in the Rally.

Morri April 6, 2012 at 10:39 am

Beautiful photos with an equally beautiful recipe. Blueberries and brownies were simply destined to be together, and you married them perfectly.

Love it. Love it. Love it.

Morri April 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

P.S. I am so happy to see you back with the GFRR once again. Please say you’ll do the next one. :)

Irvin April 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm

We’ll April into May is super busy for me, but I’m hoping that I can get to next months GFRR. We’ll see though. I’m EXTREMELY behind on my blog posts…

But I’d love to!

sippitysup April 8, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I have been to Norway and I’ll say that’s a pretty plate (and everything else). GREG