Laura September 15, 2011 at 7:56 am

That must have been a great group and how fun to meet over ice cream!

I love how over the past few years the flavors of ice cream have multiplied and pastry chefs’ creativity has brought ice cream to a whole different level.

YUM!

Daphne September 15, 2011 at 11:41 am

Irvin,

Anything with brown butter is delicious — your ice cream sounds yummy! Thanks for coming to the social. Your post is inspiring a sudden urge for some chocolate ice cream with sea salt and peppercorns! Love the photos.

Hope to see you at another event soon!

Best,

Daphne (orange striped sweater)

Amy Tong September 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm

What a fun event. Brown butter anything sounds like music to my ears. :)

Brianne September 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

One more flavor to add to the I-wish-I-owned-an-ice-cream-maker list!

Are those chocolate cones with sprinkles under there?! Did you make those? They look delightful!

Irvin September 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I did! Recipe for those coming soon…

Sean September 16, 2011 at 8:16 am

I think I’m still coming down from that sugar high. I ate so much ice cream that week!

Kelly September 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Yum. Bay leaf? I would have never thought to combine that with ice cream.

kellypea@sass & veracity September 17, 2011 at 7:21 am

What a fun event — sounds like all of you had a great time. I’m intrigued by all the creative ice cream flavors around now — like yours. How did you decide to put the bay in the combo? You may not remember, but you gave me lots of suggestions for our last trip to SF and did make it to Humphry Slocumb’s after hiking around the Mission District and Delores Park. Thanks — we loved seeing SF through another set of eyes!

Irvin September 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m SO glad you made it over to Humphry Slocombe! They are insanely creative with their flavors, and though I think they do have their misses (or at least their “hmmm…that was interesting but not sure if it works”) I love that they are not afraid to fearlessly try different combinations.

As for my flavor combo, I was inspired by a dessert that Pastry Chef Gina DePalma, former Executive Pastry Chef of Babbo had on her menu. She serves the combination as a Bavarese, which is an Italian Bavarian Cream. I’ve never had it but she talks about it in The Flavor Bible and it sounded like it would translate to a wonderful ice cream flavor, which it did!

Anneliesz September 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Your ice cream flavor sounds fab. And fried basil leaves- what a great idea for textural counterpoint.