Marbled Dark and White Chocolate Genmaicha Brownies

by Irvin on May 23, 2011 · 24 comments

Did you know that being me is extremely difficult? Sure I have the burden of being stunning handsome, charming, witty and very gregarious when I need to be (a skill I picked up when I worked retail… I could upsell like no one else in the B. Dalton Bookstore at the local mall where I worked in college). But I also get asked to judge events like the Taste TV Chocolate Salon that happened last month. An afternoon of chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate (with a little vodka and wine thrown in) it was pure decadence. So much so that I pretty much had my fill of chocolate and swore that I would not eat any chocolate for at least a month. Of course, this vow was quickly broken when I got home and decided to eat a bit of chocolate that I had bought for AJ. That bit ofchocolate inspired this fabulous chocolate creation of mine: Marbled Dark and White Chocolate Genmaichai (green tea with toasted rice) Brownies.

Dark and White Chocolate Genmaicha Brownies But what an event it was! I know you feel sorry for me, being forced to go to each and every booth and tasting at least one sample of chocolate from the vendor. Hey I was a judge, I had an obligation to give them all a fair shot! And there were some pretty amazing chocolates there. Gorgeous luscious chocolate with some fantastic flavor combinations, I was forced to taste and taste and taste. I’ll admit that it was hard for me to judge what was good, what was great and what was stellar. And though I could write about each and every item, I don’t want to bore you. Instead, I’m just going to let some of the pictures do the talking.

Madécasse

Snake and Butterfly

Snake and Butterfly

William Dean Chocolates

William Dean Chocolates

Sterling Truffle Bar

Sterling Truffle Bar

In the end, after tasting all the chocolate (there were over 50 stations sampling), I bought one single bar of chocolate for AJ. Jade’s chocolate, flavored with genmaicha tea – roasted rice and green tea flavored milk chocolate. And I’m not even a big milk chocolate fan but the combination of a sweeter chocolate and green tea was just inspiring.

Jade Chocolate

Jade Chocolate

With the San Francisco Food Blogger Bake that just happened last week (OMG was that just last weekend? How is that possible?), I decided to create a number of things to raise money, including a brownie inspired by Jade’s genmaicha chocolate bar. Every single piece I brought to the bake sale sold and the super talented blogger Stacie over at The Flirty Blog who came to volunteer picked up one and wrote about how much she loved it.

Marbled white and dark chocolate genmaicha brownies

I plan on posting specifically about the bake sale (yes, I’m so behind!), but I wanted you all to have this brownie first. Enjoy.

Belinda @zomppa May 23, 2011 at 5:24 am

Your intro is the best. Life is hard and they just don’t understand. =) I’m sure I would have found reasons to test and re-test all of them. Gorgeous brownies!

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm

It was actually pretty overwhelming. Next time I’m doing what my friend did and just bring ziplock bags and ask the vendors to take home samples to judge. It would have been SO much easier. After awhile you get chocolate overload!

Jim @ Comfort in Crumbs May 23, 2011 at 5:56 am

Oh you live such a horrible life. I can’t believe that you were made to judge a chocolate contest. Must have been pure murder.

Lucky stiff. I’m sure your poor palate was completely exhausted after a night of chocolate that decadent. What do they use as palate cleansers when judging chocolate?

It was great meeting you at BlogHer Food in Atlanta. You are just as quirky and down to earth as I knew you’d be from reading your blog.

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I should have brought crackers or pretzels or something to cleanse by palate, but I didn’t. I just barreled through. Next time I’ll know better.

And it was awesome to meet you in Atlanta! Sorry we didn’t have a chance to hang out more/longer. Those weekend conferences are such a whirlwind of activity. Too much to do, too little time.

pickyin @ Life is Great May 23, 2011 at 9:38 am

It’s interesting to see the glorious green color of the white chocolate/matcha batter losing it after baking. Thumbs up to not adding food coloring to this creation.

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm

It SO didn’t need any food coloring. The matcha made the batter insanely green (as you can see). I was actually a little scared of it, and was pleased when it baked that it mellowed out!

Sarah May 23, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Life is so tough, isn’t it?? These look amazing…I can’t wait to try!

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thank you Sarah! Everyone who had one really loved them.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I’d love to be a judge there! What an interesting brownie recipe!

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm

It was interesting judging. There was actually quite a large variety of chocolates, and truffles. Some of them were more “interesting” than anything else. But some were pretty fantastic.

Stacie Tamaki May 23, 2011 at 11:41 pm

WOW I love the photos of the unbaked batter! They’re gorgeous. Just seeing the photo of the plated brownies made my mouth water. Mmmmmmm. I had mine for breakfast :)

Have not attended the Chocolate Salon. Will have to put it on my calendar next year along with the bake sale again. That was so much fun!

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm

It was so great to have met you! I loved your cake. The chocolate salon is pretty fun, but a bit overwhelming. You should totally contact them to judge. I think you’d be awesome.

Glad you liked the brownie!

Phuoc'n Delicious May 24, 2011 at 12:00 am

I love drinking genmaicha tea because of the roasty, nutty aroma it provides. It’s such a soothing drink in my opinion. I have seen a green tea brownie made before and was convinced to make it but now you’ve convinced me to make your version instead only because of the addition of the popped brown rice, this is genius! I love the way you think!!

And in regards to your first few sentences.. I feel for you! Such a hard life you have ;P Being a judge for the Taste TV Chocolate Salon event is such a difficult task! Good to know you survived through it. I so would’ve love to be in your shoes at that event! Mmmmmm… chocolate!

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm

It was pretty intense, all that chocolate. I actually saw one woman walking around with a jug of milk with her, swigging away between bites! She came prepared.

Next time I’ll know to pace myself. And yes, genmaicha tea is AJ’s favorite. In fact, now that he knows how easy it is to roast brown rice, he has me roast extra rice for him to put in the green tea to make it extra nutty rice-like. Ha! If you make the brownies, let me know how they turn out for you!

Brian @ A Thought For Food May 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Every time I see matcha, I want to give it a try! The brownies look tremendous.

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm

You must! Matcha is so much fun to play with. Totally worth tracking down.

Karen from Globetrotter Diaries May 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Ugh life is soooo rough ;) Love this combination of chocolate and green tea– very creative!

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Thank you! But the credit goes to Jade Chocolate. I probably wouldn’t have thought of it, but it turned out so good.

Anjana May 26, 2011 at 1:16 pm

AJ was so gracious to give me a brownie at our lunch earlier this week. OH. MY. GOD. Thank YOU. Thank God for putting you on this earth because these were AMAZING. Never tasted anything like it – so amazingly good and so creative. Can I request for the Dessert Party??

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Certainly! I’ll be sure to put it on my list for our next one! Glad you liked them…

cooking rookie May 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I have to try this technique!

Irvin May 29, 2011 at 12:37 pm

If you do, let me know how it turns out!

Rita June 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm

This post makes me want and want and want. I second Anjana’s request for the dessert party! Have it at the one in December!!

Martha July 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I made these beauties today and they turned out very good but the rice was hard in the brownies. Did I not toast my brown rice long enough? Thanks for a wonderful creative recipe. m