Deep Dark Chocolate Pudding and a Group South Lake Tahoe Ski Trip

by Irvin on February 21, 2011 · 19 comments

It’s President’s Day weekend, and AJ and I made our one exception to our Social Moratorium and went on ski trip organized by our awesome friend Felisa. Our friends, many of whom we have not seen in ages, usually set up an annual ski trip and AJ and I loath to miss out on the fun. That said, this trip was going to be a little different, as it would be the first time that we had children along. How would the dynamic shift when all our friends with toddlers and babies came along? Better, worse, just plain different? Turns out it was awesome in a totally different way. And, of course, I decided to make dessert for our group. Deep dark chocolate pudding seemed appropriate. The group seemed to agree.

Deep Dark Chocolate Pudding Bill Cosby never sold this type of pudding.

We headed up to Sacramento on Thursday, to hang out with my brother, sister-in-law and the awesomest niece ever. Sadly we couldn’t spend the night at their place, as they have a cat and AJ is insanely allergic, but we had a great dinner at Magpie Caterers, where Sydney, my niece, was a rockstar and ate nearly everything placed in front her, including duck ragu gnocchi, crispy pork belly, ribeye, and some interesting roasted vegetables (their description not mine). I also ordered a selection of sautéed greens, because I’m a sucker for greens. Sydney did not partake of them, as apparently she has an aversion to green foods (okay, so she’s a rockstar lite, but we’re working on that one).

Sydney and Melissa AJ and I bought Sydney a toy of a French man with mustache. She seemed to like it.

Friday we woke up insanely early and drove over to South Lake Tahoe. We had every intention of heading to North Lake Tahoe to go skiing, but AJ wasn’t feeling all that great, and we decided to play it by ear for skiing. Since our group had a cabin down in South Lake Tahoe, we headed there. After grabbing lunch, AJ rallied and we got a half day of skiing in at Heavenly.

That said, going skiing after not doing anything physical for a year (no gym, no running, nothing) is not a smart move. Getting my ski legs back after a year of not skiing was tough. And painful. So very painful.

Lake Tahoe The view as we skied. We appreciated it, even as we were in pain trying to get our ski legs back.

We met up with our friends in our giant awesome house that we rented afterwards. It was a smaller group the first night (two kids, seven adults), and we stayed up late waiting for our friends Rita and Damon who were driving up from LA. Sadly, due to several mishaps (including broken chains and a flat tire) they were waylaid in Gardnerville, Nevada for the night.

The next day we spent some awesome time with kids sledding in the fresh snow; two feet of fresh powder from the storm that kept our friends Rita and Damon from arriving. For both kids, it was the first time they had experienced snow and they loved it. Of course the parents, as well as AJ and I, had a pretty great time.

sledding

Our friend Felisa had bought groceries ahead of time and actually made food for our giant group (best camp counselor ever!). By the time we got back from sledding, two more couples had arrived, bring the total up to three kids and eleven adults. We originally had two more adults and a child who were planning on coming up, but they had to cancel at the last minute due to illness.

Chicken & Dumplings

Felisa, of course, rocked the food, making chicken and dumplings (or mushrooms and dumplings for the vegetarian in the house), along with roasted Brussels sprouts and salad. For dessert, I had brought up some faux-reos (faux oreos) which I’ll be blogging about soon, as well as some rice crispy treats. Everyone, of course, has been eating them throughout the weekend, but no one seemed mind eating them again for dessert. The crazy evening ended with us playing cards – Euchre. We’re a wild bunch!

Felisa contemplating her cards Felisa contemplating her cards

The next day AJ and I hit the slopes a little less sore , with our friends Rita and Damon who had finally made it, and it was amazing. Rita and Damon said that the fresh packed powder, crystal clear weather and stunning views was worth the flat tire and the-near-abandoned-by-the-roadside-experience that they had getting to Tahoe. I kinda agreed, though we didn’t have to go through the ordeal they did to get to Tahoe. Gorgeous doesn’t really do the mountain justice. Our suffering from Friday was totally worth it, as our ski legs had returned and we found ourselves carving up the mountain on packed powder on the black diamond runs of Heavenly (okay, we actually only went on one black diamond, and it was the easiest black diamond ever, so we skied it three times so we could say we did black diamonds – and because it was so much fun).

AJ and Irvin skiing

Irvin, AJ and Rita on lift

Dinner that night was lasagna (two versions, Italian sausage as well Mushroom and Spinach) courtesy of Felisa again. I love my friends. They feed me! They entertain me. They are awesome.

Stella and Felisa serving up lasagna

For dessert, I had made that deep dark chocolate pudding. This stuff is good. I haven’t made it in awhile, but for some random reason, we had extra egg yolks in the house (people who know me, know this almost NEVER happens) and chocolate pudding seemed like the perfect way to use up the egg yolks AND for a great ending of an evening after skiing.

Group dinner shot Notice AJ in the window reflection…

People loved the pudding. Like LOVED the pudding. I believe there was spontaneous applause when I served it, but to their credit, they also applauded my friend Felisa’s dinner (which totally deserved it, because it was insanely tasty).

Deep Dark Chocolate Pudding

But make this pudding. Really. It’s rich, I won’t lie to you, so a little bit goes a long way. But once you taste the pudding, you’ll understand why it’s worth the effort to make. People swooned, people swore allegiance to it, and people declared that it was the best pudding they had ever tasted.

I’m pretty partial to it myself. And when you make it, you’ll realize it really isn’t that hard to make. And it’s so very very worth it.

Whilst making this pudding, I listened to the screams and laughter of little children. The best soundtrack ever.

sippitysup February 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm

There’s nothing like a great weekend with friends. And Tahoe is a great spot for it. I am glad you made the kid transition so easily. When our friends started bringing there accumulating children on our weekends away I was seriously worried about. But just like you we adjusted wonderfully. GREG

Irvin February 21, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Hi Greg! I had individually met each of the kids and they were all awesome, but I had never had to deal with them collectively AND for an extended period of time so I was definitely worried (just a tiny bit). But in the end, my fears were unfounded. It was a great weekend all the way around!

Dina Avila February 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Oh this brought back so many memories of Tahoe. As kids, we would go up almost every winter. No skiing, but a whole lot of inner tube sledding while the folks gambled at the casinos. Ha!
Pudding looks divine, as usual :)

Irvin February 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm

We avoided the casinos, but there was definitely awesome sledding. The kids were too young to do the inner tube sledding, but perhaps in a few years.

And thank you, the pudding was a huge hit. As we left, a friend emptied out one of her kid’s sippy cups and put leftover pudding in it to bring home! While another friend packed away the pudding in a makeshift aluminum foil pouch. Talk about the ultimate compliments!

kickpleat February 21, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Sounds like a fantastic time! And oh, all that food! Looks perfect. I’m not really a fan of pudding (well, I love rice pudding), but the chocolate varieties I’ve made haven’t knocked me off my feet. Maybe it’s the egg yolks!

Irvin February 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm

The food (and company) was perfect! So fantastic. I can’t believe that Felisa fed that crowd! Crazy woman. Love her.

And it’s funny you mention not liking pudding but like rice pudding, because I really do not like rice pudding. I think it’s because I’m Asian (hello, rice should be savory not sweet, hot not cold!) but I love other puddings. The egg yolks make the pudding rich, but you don’t taste them (or, at least, you shouldn’t taste them).

Anyhoo, if you DO give this one a try (and you should), let me know what you think. It’s intensely rich and chocolately, so if you aren’t a chocolate person, than you might not like it.

Rita February 22, 2011 at 9:06 am

I LOVED the pudding. Love love LOVED the pudding. And the house, and the chicken-and-dumplings, and lasagna (Thanks, Felisa!!). And the having all the kids around for us to chase, make laugh, read to, and keep us generally grounded in simple pleasures. Which the pudding perfectly suited. Out on the slopes, I was already dreaming of that night, when there would be lasagna and pudding.

D & I shared the improvised, aluminum foil pouch o’ pudding right away with Karen and Ben (“We have Pudding!!”), so even though they didn’t make it to Tahoe, we all got to experience the joy–as we regaled them with ski-trip stories. Afterward, Karen eagerly volunteered that she would eat the rest of the pudding if D & I didn’t feel like keeping it through the long drive back to LA. (Do you think I let her?? I’m not telling online!!)

Mmm. Now I have to go comment on the Rice Krispy Treats entry about the Rice Krispy Treats.

Rita February 22, 2011 at 9:16 am
Felisa February 22, 2011 at 11:15 am

Yay! You got to meet Gigi! Isn’t the little eggplant the CUTEST?

Rita February 23, 2011 at 1:05 pm

YES. Not that we lacked for cuteness on the trip.

But,
Yes. :D

Karen February 23, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I will confess and say that Rita and Damon let us keep the pudding, which I promptly devoured within two days. Although not as pretty-looking as in your photo, I definitely swooned. Rita reminded me that we’d had it before, and I thought “Really?” But then… I tasted it, and I totally remembered!

We were sad to miss the ski weekend. It sounded fantastic, but we were better off for staying home and tending to the baby. Thank you, R&D, for stopping by with goodies and stories!

Irvin February 24, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I was sad you guys missed out as well. But I’m happy that you guys took the pudding! Whoo hoo! I’d hate for the pudding to go to waste…

Irvin February 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm

You just loved the pudding because it’s a “soft food” and you have that thing for “soft food”….

Medifast Coupons February 22, 2011 at 10:42 am

Well it sure looks like you guys had a good time. And all that food, nice. And what a nice dessert, you just can’t go wrong with chocolate pudding.

Irvin February 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm

It was an awesome time. We had SO much food!

Brian @ A Thought For Food February 23, 2011 at 4:44 am

I’m a “skin” man ;-) Even as a child, I just loved that top layer. Can’t wait to give this a try!

Irvin February 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I adore the “skin” of puddings too!

Annelies February 26, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Oh chocolate pudding. Pot de creme. Custard. All the sincere way to my heart. I feel the brisk temperatures on the slopes and the cheery warmth inside with your friends. Looks like such a memorable weekend!

Chrissy October 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I just made this substituting 1 c buttermilk and 1 c skim for the 2 c whole. It was still a wonderfully puddingy consistency. I also added a sprinkling of cinnamon. Anyway- it is YUM! :-)