This easy-to-make giant skillet cookie is packed with M&M candies, as well as a sprinkling of crunchy flaky salt to offset the sweetness and give it a touch of sophistication. (Jump directly to the recipe.)
Back in January I posted on Instagram a photo of my cast iron skillet. I love my cast iron skillet but I had a confession that I don’t use it as much as I wish I did. It was buried in the back of my cabinet, with a million pot lids on top of it, behind bowls and plates. It’s a pain to get out and I just often forget I have it. Nearly everyone who commented talked about how much they love their skillet. And their easy solution was just to leave it on their stove top!
I’m not sure my partner AJ would approve of that. He’s a pretty good sport about all the other stuff that I leave around the house. You should see our current kitchen table, which is crowded with a million bowls and mugs that I brought home from my ceramics class! But I can see him not really wanting a cast iron skillet floating on the stove, one of the few places in the kitchen that doesn’t have something on it already. So I took the skillet out to used, washed it, and told him that I’d put it away the next day. I was able to go a week before he made a comment and I finally put it away.
But in that week, I’ve made a number of things with the skillet! We’ve had steak (twice), I’ve made a fruit crisp in it, and I’ve fried up tons of bacon in it! It’s been great to have easy access to it, and even though I know I’ll eventually put it back away in the cabinet, just having it back in the forefront of my head means I’ll be digging it out more often. Or maybe trying to find a better, easy to access, place to store it. Of course, if I keep on making things like these giant Skillet Cookie packed with loads of M&M candies, maybe I won’t ever have to put it away. AJ couldn’t keep his hands away from it.
Skillet Cookie with M&M candies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 85 g
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar 220 g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 210 g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup M&M candies 210 g
- 1/2 teaspoon Maldon or other flaky salt optional but recommended
- Your favorite vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with cooking oil.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat together. Add the egg and egg yolk to the mixture and beat to incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl and mix to incorporate. Remove the bowl form the mixer and add the M&M candies to the bowl. Stir in with a wooden spoon carefully, trying not to break any of the candy shells.
- Scrape the cookie dough into the prepared skillet. Wet your hand lightly and press the dough into the skillet evenly. Sprinkle the Maldon salt (if using) over the top of the cookie. Place in the oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top of the cookie looks dry and the edges of the cookie are just starting to turn brown. Don’t overbake as the cookie will continue to cook as the skillet cools.
- Serve warm with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream directly from the pan. Alternatively run a thin spatula around the edge of the cookie once it has cooled completely and remove it from the skillet. Cut it up into squares or triangle slices and serve at room temperature.