Carrot Honey Cheesecake with Almond Cinnamon Crust

by Irvin on March 13, 2017 · 13 comments

This Carrot Honey Cheesecake inverts the classic carrot cake and cream cheese frosting into a creamy honey cheesecake with beautiful carrot spiced swirls. (Jump directly to the Carrot Honey Cheesecake recipe.)

Carrot Honey Cheesecake with Almond Cinnamon Crust. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin.

“So are you off of grains completely?” I asked my friend Tina. She had just celebrated a milestone birthday and my friend Peter was throwing a small dinner party to mark the occasion. As usually, I was on dessert duty but she had mentioned to me in passing awhile ago that she was trying something new with her diet. She text back that the dinner party was her “cheat day” so the sky was the limit. I dug a little deeper to see if there was any sort of dessert that she actually liked.

“I’m not a huge chocolate fiend.” She texted back and I immediately started to question our friendship. But to each their own I guess, and more for me and all that. Then her next text got more specific. “I love carrot cake. Cheesecake. I love almond flavors. I like sweet and savory.” Now those are parameters I could work with! Challenge accepted!

When I brought my creation, a carrot honey cheesecake with almond cinnamon crust, to the dinner party it was a huge hit. My friend Hadley inhaled his serving, declaring it the favorite dessert that I have ever made that he has tasted (and that man has tasted a lot of my baked goods). My friend Peter and Grant who were hosting the dinner party loved how gorgeous it looked on their plate (and how creamy delicious it was on their palate). And most importantly, Tina the birthday girl, who I created the dessert for, swooned over it. After all, I pretty much tailored it to her taste. Happy birthday Tina! I hope you have many many more.

Didina Gnagnide Angorinie March 13, 2017 at 9:23 am

Really gorgeous. Do you think I could sub some gf flour for the crackers? One of my friends is coeliac so I try to adapt recipes I like so that she can eat them too. I like using buckwheat flour with carrot cake, do you think it would fare well?

Jim True March 13, 2017 at 3:31 pm

You could reasonably use oats and additional nuts with maybe some candied ginger and create a sticky, crunchy crust that would hold up to this awesome creation. That in almost the exact same proportions as Irvin’s above is what I used to do for all my granola/nut based gluten free crusts.

Irvin March 13, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Jim gave some great suggestions. But you can also just use a gluten free cookie like Annie’s Snickerdoodle Cinnamon Sugar Bunnies cookies for the animal crackers. Trader Joe’s also has a gingersnap cookie that is gluten free. Both would be great substitutes.

Jim True March 13, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Oh yeah Gingersnaps!!! I wish their Triple Ginger were GF, but their GF Ginger Snaps are amazing.

Kari March 14, 2017 at 10:13 am

The swirls on top are so pretty!
Kari

Didina Gnagnide Angorinie March 15, 2017 at 12:49 am

Thank you all, I’ll either use half buckwheat and half almonds or use gf gingerbread cookies. I sub by weight because it’s more accurate (and my country uses grams anyway).

Good Recipes Drinks March 16, 2017 at 6:27 am

Driving Directions March 16, 2017 at 11:43 pm

It looks awesome, I will try to make this cake rely on your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Asheley March 19, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I loved the recipe, it’s a bit different. I really want to make it look delicious.

Cheryl March 24, 2017 at 8:33 am

This cheesecake looks amazing! At first it looked like it’s with caramel, but honey is just fine! Thank for the recipe 🙂

Ines Pljakic May 17, 2017 at 5:03 am

Irvin, summer is coming and I feel overwhelmed to find this recipe now! But, I know myself, I’m not going to leave it for the fall 🙂 In fact, I think I’m gonna make it tonight…can’t wait!