Summer Minestrone Soup

by Irvin on July 13, 2015 · 11 comments

This easy summer minestrone soup recipe takes advantage of seasonal vegetables for a dish that is bursting with flavor.

Summer Minestrone Soup. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

Summer is in full swing and, as always, my eyes are bigger than my mouth and stomach when it comes to the grocery shopping. Going to the supermarket (or the farmers market if I can remember to head over on Wednesday when the neighborhood one is up and running) means I end up buying big bunches of beautiful vegetables and fruit, more than I can actually ever use before it goes bad. It’s a constant dash to the finish line, where last place means a bulging compost bin. But I have very little self-control when it comes to the bountiful amounts of summer vegetables and usually that means I’m always coming up with big batches recipes to use it all up. One of my favorite go-to dish is Summer Minestrone soup. I make a huge batch of it, freeze leftovers in quart ziplock bags and I can pull it out for a quick fast meal. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Summer Minestrone Recipe Soup. Recipe and photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

The last time I resorted to the recipe (and I use the word “resort” loosely because I actually love this recipe and wonder why I don’t make it more often) was right before I left to go to Los Angeles to pick up AJ from the AIDS Lifecycle. We offered our apartment to my mom to stay here when we were gone (she loves our neighborhood) and I left her some of the soup to eat, as my freezer was already on the verge of maxing out. To say she loved the soup is an understatement. She absolutely adored it.

Summer Minestrone. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

As with most recipes likes these, feel free to substitute whatever ingredients you have on hand. If you have more corn, feel free to use that. If you don’t have chard, try savoy cabbage or spinach instead. I’ve thrown in asparagus in place of the green beans or I’ve used snow peas or sugar snap peas instead. It’s a flexible recipe that allows you to use whatever you find at the grocery store or have in the fridge. Just add more or less chicken stock to accommodate for the vegetables.

Easy Summer Minestrone Soup! Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

If you like this Summer Minestrone soup, check out some of these other summer soup recipes from around the web:

Love and Olive Oil’s Yellow Summer Squash and Corn Soup
Sprouted Kitchen’s Summer Corn Soup with Shrimp
Skinny Taste’s Cream of Zucchini Soup
Art and Lemon’s Summer Tomato Soup
Simply Recipes’ Summer Pea Soup

Reduceri online July 13, 2015 at 8:59 am

It looks very tasty!

Heather (Delicious Not Gorgeous) July 13, 2015 at 10:07 am

still not quite sure if i want to make hot soup now (naengmyeon sounds so much more refreshing), but it sounds like a really good way to use summer produce!

Eileen July 13, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Hooray for soup in summer! This is such a great way to eat all the fresh summer veg at once.

Marisa Franca @ All Our Way July 14, 2015 at 4:27 am

I am nodding my head in understanding — Farmer’s Market. Eyes bigger than tummy. There is such a wonderful selection of fruits and vegetables I overload my sacks with produce. And you can’t beat soup — any time of year. Thank you for sharing!!

Arthur in the Garden! July 14, 2015 at 10:15 am

Yummy!

mila furman July 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Agree! I always buy a ton of veggies and fruits and then hurry through the week to use them. This is my kind of soup! Looks mouth wateringly (that’s a word right?) amazing!

[email protected] July 22, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Whoever says you can’t enjoy a hearty soup during summer is definitely mislead. We crave vegetables in all forms and love using leftovers in big soups and stews. So interesting that you use soy sauce in this recipe, is that common in most minestrones or one of your special cooking tricks?

Irvin July 27, 2015 at 2:07 am

Soy sauce isn’t too common in minestrone and I don’t use a lot of it, but it really adds a subtle umami depth to the soup. I’m sure I can’t be the only person that does it, so I can’t claim that it’s my own special cooking trick but I’ve not really read or seen it elsewhere! And I agree, soup all the time!

Pat Sayer Fusco August 5, 2015 at 3:22 pm

May I suggest (insist) that you try this soup at room temperature if the weather seems too hot for minestrone caldo? It’s very common in Italy to serve it this way, especially at lunchtime. In fact, it almost saved my life once. I was in Cortona and we had drunk a great deal of my friend’s homemade white wine the night before, sitting outside his house, near the garden. It seemed to go down easily but it was deceptively high octane. The next morning I had the world’s biggest headache and felt scarcely able to maneuver through the streets of the town as we hunted for a particular style of pottery that John wanted me to see. It was time for pranzo — we went to one of his favorite hole-in-the-wall, family places. The mama took one look at me and insisted on bringing me a bowl of tepid minestrone, some bread, and plenty of cold water. Turned the trick, it did. I felt restored, even human. I always remember that when I think of soup in the summertime.

williamjim September 14, 2017 at 5:31 am

i agree with you taking such soup can help one deal with some lifestyle diseases such as obesity. This soup has a high fiber content can help to reduce constipation but honestly i love it!!!