Skirt Steak Recipe with All-Purpose Steak Rub and Chimichurri Sauce

by Irvin on May 26, 2014 · 19 comments

This awesome, fast and easy skirt steak recipe with all-purpose steak rub and chimichurri sauce can be made in 30 minutes or less, start to finish!

Skirt Steak Recipe with an all-purpose steak rub and chimichurri sauce. Easy and fast recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

This blog probably makes the follow sentiment utterly unnecessary to write, but I love food. Most of my friends know this so I end up being the guy that a lot of people ask for restaurant recommendations in San Francisco. Hey Irvin, where should I eat when I’m in town? Hey let’s get brunch, you decided on the place! Any suggestion for the best bakery in San Francisco? But what most people don’t get is that as much as I love to sample food from around the city, I rarely do it. I tend to make food at home a lot, and with my freelance projects, this blog and the cookbook I’m writing, I’m always looking for food that I can make fast at home. Lately that means my simple steak rub recipe for a skirt steak and a little chimichurri sauce for AJ and me. Dinner in 30 minutes and a fancy looking one at that. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Skirt steak with rub and chimichurri sauce. Fast and easy dinner in 30 minutes or less. Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

The best thing about this skirt steak recipe is that most of the ingredients for the rub are found in your pantry (or can be picked up at a regular grocery store) and made ahead of time if you really want to. In fact, I tend to double the rub recipe and save it in an empty spice jar or ziplock bag. It’s super versatile and keeps for a while.Chimichurri Sauce recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

Of course, while the steak is grilling, the chimichurri sauce is pretty easy to make, but you can also make it ahead of time too. We tend to grill double the amount of steaks and save the leftovers steak for other meals. It’s great in a sandwich or on a salad, which means I can whip up two or three meals for the week out of cooking dinner just once. Perfect for me since I’ve got to get back to baking that pie…for the fifth time in row.

Grilled Skirt Steak Recipe with all-purpose steak rub and chimichurri sauce. Easy and fast recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

If you like this grilled skirt steak recipe with chimichurri sauce check out these other great steak recipes from around the web:
The Wanderlust Kitchen’s Skinny Vietnamese Steak Salad
Baked Bree’s Flank Steak with Garlic Butter Sauce
Food Republic’s Beer and Brown Sugar Ribeye Steak Recipe
My Man’s Belly’s Brazilian Flank Steak
No Recipe’s Steak with Brie

Christine from Cook the Story May 26, 2014 at 7:06 am

This looks SO flipin’ delicious!

Millie l Add A Little May 26, 2014 at 7:18 am

What a gorgeous looking hunk of steak! The chimichurri looks fab too!

tom May 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm

We burned our mouths with the rub because of the high concentrates of chili powder. You probably meant 2 teaspoons and not 2 tablespoons?

Irvin May 27, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Yikes! I’m so sorry to hear that. I actually DID use 2 tablespoons of chili powder in my rub, but the brand of chili powder I used is a blend (not pure ground chili) and is more savory than spicy. I’ve put an editor’s note about the brand I used as well as a warning on adjusting the seasoning because ever chili blend spice is different. I apologize for that!

Dan Sullivan May 26, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I’m craving for steak. This give me an idea to make my own version. Thanks for posting. This grilled skirt steak recipe with chimichurri sauce is great. We can check out these other great steak recipes from around the web.

Mrs. Leal from CookingHat May 27, 2014 at 9:58 am

That looks amazing! I love steaks and I haven’t had one in a while… I’m definitely going to try this recipe :)

Eileen May 27, 2014 at 10:09 am

Cooking at home is definitely the best way to eat–especially when you have to pay SF rent (I say from smack in the middle of Silicon Valley). It’s so satisfying to be able to make exactly what you want, isn’t it? Than chimichurri sauce sounds wonderful!

tom May 27, 2014 at 12:19 pm

As to my prior.comment I may be using a high powered chili powder ( i dont know the brand) and also I tend to put on too much rub so that could be my problem as well. The point is when adding chili powder suit to taste. Loved the chimichurri sauce that did temper the spicy rub. Thanks for mentioning not all chili powders are the same. I need to experiment with other varieties. I also want to say I agree that if you cook past medium rare flank steak starts getting tough.

Thank you for the recipe.

Irvin May 27, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Thank you for the comment! I love getting feedback like that. It helps me clarify things on the recipe so other people don’t run into those issues!

Pat Fusco May 27, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Love skirt steak — there’s one in my fridge right now. By the way, Mexican markets are good sources for flap steak (took me a while to work that out). I don’t grill often, as a singleton, but these work beautifully on a ridge cast iron pan on the stove top. (My friend and I call them “gridge pans” since I connected grill/ridged in a conversation one day.)

Irvin May 29, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Actually… I used a ridged cast iron grill pan for this recipe! (shhh…don’t tell. Our grill is dead and we haven’t bought a new one yet). But it works both on the grill and on the grill pan. And I should look for flap meat in Mexican markets! I buy most of our meat at BiRite Market which sells the flap meat under a nicer, Bavette steak.

Also, I love “gridge pan”!

Belinda Chiu May 28, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Who doesn’t love a good chimichurri sauce??

Chelsea May 28, 2014 at 9:52 pm

This looks fantastic and had me salivating for steak. Love the composition of the photo just above the recipe card too!

Out of curiosity, that pie for the fifth time: why so many? Are they not perfect yet, or are you repeating to be sure the recipe has consistent results? What happens to pies 1-4? I’m sure you and AJ don’t eat them all (though you might want to!). I’m always finding myself waiting weeks – sometimes months! – in between recipe testing for the same dessert item to prevent overindulgence.

Irvin May 29, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Ha! I usually make AJ take the pies to his work (he’s a teacher, he has tons of students that eat my leftover baked goods). And yes, I’ve been known to make pies five or more times to really get it right. The one I’m working on is a cream pie. So I have to balance the flavor with the custard stiffness. I keep on making it too starchy and thick or too thin and runny and every time I get it close to the right consistency, the flavor is dulled or off. So it’s a lot of tinkering trying to hit the perfect balance!

Chelsea May 29, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Ah, I didn’t know AJ was a teacher! I am too – that’s one of the best things about working on a campus: other people are usually hungry for homemade goodies. But when it’s summer and I’m off, I don’t have a workroom to bring my offerings to anymore.
Thanks for the response. As the recipe developing bug gets me more and more, I find myself curious about other people’s process.

Marta May 29, 2014 at 2:13 pm

It’s almost midnight here and I’m looking at these pictures awwwwwwww I think I know what I’m going to eat this weekend :-)

Jessica November 1, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I have made this about 4 times now and I have passed it on to a few of my friends. It is crazy good. The flavors are amazing.

Irvin November 3, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Yay! I’m so glad to hear that!! Thanks for letting me know you use it and love it! Totally made my day.

sarah rubin November 11, 2014 at 8:31 pm

this looks delicious ! Q. can the Chimichurri sauce be made a few days in advance?