Homemade Gnocchi, an easy two-ingredient recipe

by Irvin on April 8, 2014 · 15 comments

If you’re looking for a simple and easy recipe for how to make gnocchi, check out this two-ingredient homemade gnocchi, complete with step-by-step photos!

My very first and only other attempt at making homemade gnocchi was an abject miserable failure. I remember distinctly trying to make the potato dumplings in my tiny apartment that I shared with an old boyfriend years ago in St. Louis. I was super proud of the little doughy balls as I rolled and cut them but once I served them up I realized they were somehow both gummy AND hard as a rock. I never bothered to make them again until 15+ years later I found myself in a cooking class at Le Cordon Bleu. For the last day we were to come up with our own menu, using a few specific ingredients that they listed (as well as a variety of other optional ingredients that they had in the school). One of them was potatoes and I knew that I wanted to challenge myself. Thankfully I stumbled onto an easy homemade gnocchi recipe in one of my cookbooks and I knew it was time for me to attempt it again. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Making gnocchi at Le Cordon Bleu. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Turns out learning how to make gnocchi is pretty darn easy if you know what you are doing. Like ridiculously easy. Like two ingredient easy. In fact, most recipes out there use egg as a binder, but this easy gnocchi recipe makes super fluffy potato dumplings without the egg, which (gasp) means these little puffy pillows of delight are vegan too. What the what?

Easy Homemade Gnocchi. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Even my instructor Chef Dan Fluharty was a little dubious, having always used an egg as a binder in gnocchi. But he said I should go for it and I’m thrilled that I did. The main secret is to bake the potatoes in the oven for a long period of time, which can be rather time consuming but it’s all walk away time, meaning you can do other things while the potatoes bake. Baking the potatoes dry out the potato, which means less moisture to weigh down the potatoes. I was so taken with the homemade gnocchi I found myself making them at home a couple of weeks week for a dinner party I had. My dinner guests were super impressed and nothing makes me happier than when something so easy impresses so much.

I’m sharing recipes and tips I learned from the Le Cordon Bleu Techniques I class all this week. Be sure to come and check them all out!

If you like this gnocchi recipe, check out what to do with them! Here are some gnocchi dishes from around the web:
101 Cookbook’s Green Olive Gnocchi Recipe
Taste and Tell’s Baked Gnocchi with Ricotta
Steamy Kitchen’s Pan Fried Pumpkin Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sage
Closet Cooking’s Gnocchi Poutine with Short Rib Ragu
Brokeass Gourmet’s Gnocchi with Pumpkin, Spinach and Goat Cheese

Christine from Cook the Story April 8, 2014 at 6:00 am

The recipe is amazing and your photography is stellar, Irvin!

Jenni April 8, 2014 at 12:23 pm

No, Irvin. You’re not “lazy.” You’re just “hungry!” =)

This is the same method that the chefs used to make gnocchi at both restaurants I worked at, although they did also drizzle in just a bit of beaten egg yolk. I think those guys learned this from Thomas Keller when they staged at the French Laundry, but I couldn’t swear to it.

I love this no-egg version. Very minimalist and lovely. Thanks for sharing it!

Pat Sayer Fusco April 8, 2014 at 12:40 pm

That’s the same recipe my mother-in-law used. She made them rarely (the family preferred cheese ravioli), usually in the winter around holidays. Wonderful. I love your little tined design, too.

Angie | Big Bear's Wife April 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Those look wonderful! I have been terrified to make my own but now I really, REALLY want to give it a try!

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat April 8, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Genius! Can’t wait to try this recipe. I won’t tell my friends how easy it is and they’ll all be wowed!

Laura April 9, 2014 at 6:30 am

No eggs is how my Italian grandmother and mother have made them for years, so you were very traditional…

One tip I learned is to have a little pot of water boiling on the stove to “test” the dough. When I think the dough feels almost right I cook a tester to see whether I need to add a little more flour or the dough holds perfectly. This way I never added too much flour since the water content of potatoes can vary.

Glad you were able to realize how easy it is to make gnocchi.

Belinda @zomppa April 9, 2014 at 2:58 pm

The best is simple. You look like a pro!

Nicole Neverman April 9, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Absolutely fantastic :) I adore gnocchi and homemade is just unbeatable. Looking forward to giving this one a go for myself.

Karen Robertson April 9, 2014 at 5:31 pm

thank you Irvin for a gorgeous post. and I look forward to your other Le Cordon Bleu classes–I am sooo jealous!!!

Laura @ My Friend's Bakery April 9, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I’ve always wanted to try making gnocchi and now I think I will! Thanks for the great pictorial!

Kevin | keviniscooking April 11, 2014 at 10:18 am

Irvin, I’m taking the plunge myself. I’ve always wanted to try and make these at home. Thanks for inspiring!

Irvin April 11, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Do it! Let me know how they turn out. I love them. I have some in the freezer right now and they make for a really quick meal tossed in pesto.

Kevin | keviniscooking April 15, 2014 at 7:04 am

Irvin,
These were so much easier to make than I had thought and turned out beautiful. Soft and puffy, too. I added parmesan cheese to the dough as a last minute thought and they were delicious just with some browned butter. It made such a big batch we had it again the other night with a meat sauce and still have some in the freezer for another meal.
Hopefully we will meet someday at a food blogger conference.
Thanks again!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life April 12, 2014 at 5:27 am

I love how easy this is to do. Recently I have been all about gnocchi, so I will have to give it a try!

Arthur in the Garden! April 18, 2014 at 1:52 pm