Irish Drunken Cake, a chocolate Guinness cake with Irish whiskey and Irish Cream Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

by Irvin on March 3, 2014 · 35 comments

Inspired by the American boilermaker-like drink made with Guinness, Irish whiskey and Irish Cream named the Irish Car Bomb this impressively rich, moist and densely chocolatey cake is sure to impressive!

Irish Drunken Cake. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

[Editor’s note: Several people have commented that they were offended by the name of this recipe. The drink The Irish Car Bomb is an American drink create in 1979 that refers to the dropping of a shot of Irish cream & Irish whiskey into a glass of Guinness. It is similar to a boilermaker drink, with the term “car bomb” referring to the dropping of the shot glass into the beer glass, otherwise known as a bomb shot. I truly apologize if this name offends anyone and I have subsequently changed the name of the recipe]

“I think I’ve seen Jesus…” blasphemed a friend of mine, after he took a bite of my Irish Drunken Cake. Apparently the combination of Guinness, Irish Whiskey and Irish Cream combined in a layer cake form was a religious experience to him. That or he had run out of accolades for my desserts. Either way, I was happy to take the compliment, though I’m sure my more sensitive friends would be offended. Thankfully they were out of earshot when he said it. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Irish Car Bomb Cake, a Guinness Chocolate Cake with Irish Whiskey and Irish Cream. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Now, I’m not much of a drinking, something that perplexed many of friend and co-worker of mine. One Irish co-worker of mine at a temp job when I first moved to San Francisco was utterly confused when I mentioned to her that I didn’t really drink. “So what do you do for fun?” There was absolutely no irony in her question at all, as she was genuinely curious as to what I did for recreation. It seems the entire Irish culture revolves around going to the pub.

A slice of Irish Car Bomb Cake. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Now, if I could have found a drink like the Irish Car Bomb perhaps my life would have been different. Not that I could have ordered it with my Irish co-worker, as it’s strictly an American invention (try ordering the drink in Ireland, and you’ll either offend someone or just confuse the bartender). Of course I like those flavors even more in cake form, with the Guinness adding depth and moisture to the chocolate cake, while Irish Cream and Irish Whiskey laden whipped cream cheese frosting added just the right sweet tang to each fluffy frosting layer. Apparently my friend agreed. He had another slice immediately after finishing his first one.

Irish Car Bomb Cake. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

If you like this Irish Drunken Cake (a Guinness chocolate cake with Irish whiskey and Irish cream whipped cream cheese frosting), check out these other sweet and savory recipes that use Guinness from around the web:
Sprinkle BakesGuinness Pretzel Truffles
Closet Cooking‘s Bacon Guinness Chocolate Pancakes with Guinness Chocolate Syrup
Gimme Some Oven‘s Guinness Floats
Food Republic‘s Braised Beef Short Ribs With Guinness
The Messy Baker‘s Guinness Barbecue Sauce

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 3, 2014 at 7:23 am

This cake looks so good. Love that icing!

Phillip @ SouthernFATTY.com March 3, 2014 at 10:01 am

Oh my goodness. This looks delicious! Irish cream in it makes it count perfectly as breakfast, right?!

Ryan March 3, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Oh man, that looks great. That Nigella Lawson cake is probably my favorite cake of all time. Can’t wait to try this adaptation.

Joe March 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Cake looks good。but the name is tasteless. Irish Car Bomb? Really?
WHO came up with that name? There is nothing clever about that kind of cultural stereotyping. Especially coming from a person who I assume has had to endure his share of inappropriate assumptions it surprises me that you would allow this. I’m not even going to address your statement about “the entire Irish Culture centered around going to the pub”. Not all Irish are heavy drinkers . Believe it or not some are non-drinkers.

Irvin March 3, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Hi Joe,

I’m sorry that I offended you with my post. I was not the one that came up with the beer cocktail name and I certainly could see why it would be offensive. According to the Irish Car Bomb wikipedia page, Charles Oat of Wilson’s Saloon came up with it and it actually isn’t a reference to the car bombs in Ireland, but a reference to the way a shot glass of Irish cream is dropped into the glass – similar to a California Car Bomb or Canadian Car Bomb drink.

I am also fully aware that not all Irish are heavy drinkers. I said that with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, but sometimes tone and humor is hard to come across in the written word. Again I apologize if you took that the wrong way!

Ann March 5, 2014 at 2:38 am

Even if the California Car Bomb and the Canadian Car Bomb are drinks (I can’t say I’ve ever heard of them, but that doesn’t mean much.), neither California nor Canada have a recent history of horrific, divisive car bombings in which hundreds of people were killed or injured. It doesn’t matter where the name comes from originally; it reinforces a harmful stereotype and is incredibly insensitive.

Irvin March 5, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Hi Ann,

I completely agree with you and I apologize sincerely. It was never my intention to offend people nor was the naming of the cake malicious. I was just trying to explain where the name came from – a popular American drink and not something I had made up by myself.

As you can see, once it was brought to my attention, I went ahead and posted an editor’s note about the origin of the name and have changed the name of the cake in the post. I’ve also posted an apology on my Facebook page, where I addressed these concerns again. Again I’m sorry if you were offended.

k.airnsun March 6, 2014 at 10:12 pm

You are a moron. An “Irish car bomb” is a cocktail! The cake tastes like the cocktail hahaha jesus! Some people are absurd!!!!

k.airnsun March 6, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Don’t change the name for one idiot. So stupid. It’s an Irish car bomb!

Heatmood March 28, 2014 at 1:33 pm

All right, get over yourselves! Its a recipe for a cocktail that has turned into a cake. Good Lord! Is Drunken Irish any less or more offensive??? This poor person has shared a recipe, call it whatever you want when it hits your table! Thanks for the great recipe and making it easy to find by name.

Former Bartender, Irishwoman, American, chef and school teacher,
Heather Moody

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust March 3, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I definitely think I’d rather have the cake than the actual Irish Carbomb. This is stunning, and I want to swim in that frosting!

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat March 3, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hell yes. Definitely making this for my Irish boyfriend with a shot of Bailey’s on the side. So really, what do you do for fun??

Irvin March 5, 2014 at 12:46 am

I bake a lot. ;)

Miss Kim @ behgopa March 4, 2014 at 12:07 am

Oh my goodness! Looks ridiculously yummy. I am really curious to try a bite of what made a guy think he has “seen Jesus” after one taste. I am so making this soon.

Kris March 4, 2014 at 6:50 am

Oh my gosh! That looks so delicious. I seriously want a bite right now, and it’s not even 7am.

Jennie @themessybakerblog March 6, 2014 at 4:50 am

All of those delicious layers have me craving cake. I love the tip about using toothpicks. I never thought to do that. Thanks for linking up to my Guinness BBQ Sauce.

Tess @ Tips on Life & Love March 6, 2014 at 7:30 am

It amazes me how many recipes we assume to be from somewhere else are just an American invention. Nevertheless, I will have to give this cake a try! It looks delicious!

Helen Rodgers March 7, 2014 at 5:05 am

Oh my! I see why people run out of words. It looks sooo delicious and I can only guess how it tastes.
P.S. Who cares about some name – people who don’t have cake to eat, that’s who.

Have a wonderful weekend, Irvin!
xo, Helen

Wimbledon domestic cleaners March 7, 2014 at 6:38 am

This makes my mouth water! Looks like heaven! Can’t wait to try it.

Risa March 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm

If only I could stick a fork through the screen, this looks utterly decadent. A shame you had to change the name (you didn’t invent the drink…or did youuuu?!) Your creative mind is a treat to me no matter what you call your recipes.

Cherianne March 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Looks delicious! Just out of curiosity, ever tried this recipe with cupcakes? Thank you!

Kate@Diethood March 9, 2014 at 2:07 pm

The cake is beyond gorgeous, car bombs, or not… ;-) Seriously… I love the drink, but I think I looooove this cake way more!

Kim Beaulieu March 9, 2014 at 2:11 pm

This is gorgeous Irvin. No one does cake quite like you. So pretty.

Jen @ Savory Simple March 9, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Perfection.

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious March 10, 2014 at 12:18 am

Ooooooo, cut me a slice stat, pour me a strong espresso and nobody bother me for an hour :) perfect.

Winnie March 10, 2014 at 6:55 pm

You are a genius :)

Crista March 10, 2014 at 8:46 pm

oh my… looks great! i might……

Aggie March 11, 2014 at 6:31 am

One of my favorite drinks!! We have fun with those :) This cake looks truly amazing, good work!

Colleen Rua March 16, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Believe me, car bombs in Ireland lasted decades and no-one could have ever imagined that the term would be used to ‘celebrate’ our national holiday. The new name doesn’t win you any pals in Ireland either.

jan tucker March 29, 2014 at 6:25 pm

made this cake today – absolutely wonderful – came out great and tasted beyond marvelous!!

Viola May 20, 2014 at 1:49 am

Irvin, I came across your blog today, and Oh My Word, you are fabulous:) I love everything and I cant wait to try this one put in particular. I am an amateur baker but I can’t wait to make this for my fiancee’s birthday. Thank you so much for sharing the love:) Love from India:)

Cindy August 25, 2014 at 6:56 am

I think this is one of the best cakes I have ever had!!!!! – It is not too sweet, not too rich, goes down very easily!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! A coworker made it & I had to try it. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

Katlin October 26, 2014 at 11:55 am

Amazing Cake! I made it last night for my best friend’s birthday. It was a huge hit! Just the right balance of sweet. Creamy frosting and the cake was moist. moist. moist! Thanks!!!

Conlye November 16, 2014 at 11:45 am

Made this a few times- a crowd favorite indeed!

Irvin November 18, 2014 at 12:30 am

Yay! I’m so glad. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know!