Salted Caramel Drink

by Irvin on February 24, 2014 · 20 comments

Forget hot chocolate and double lattes. This salted caramel drink is rich, sweet and knock your socks off delicious.

“If I had a candy factory filled with strange little green-haired orange-skinned employees that helped make my magical sweets, I would totally want a waterfall made of THIS…” said AJ right after he took a sip of a salted caramel drink at a Meals on Wheels fundraiser we had attended a few years ago. I immediately made a mental note to reverse-engineer it when I got home. Of course I never got around to doing that as I’m utterly filled with good intentions that are rarely realized. In truth, I have a crazy long laundry list of recipes and ideas that I want to attempt but have never really get to. Thankfully I finally decided it was time to whip up the caramel drink in our kitchen this past weekend and immediately wondered how our lives were ever complete without it! (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Salted Caramel Drink Recipe. Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Of course, nearly every coffee house worth it’s sea salt has the option for hot chocolate or caramel lattes. But I’ve never understood why the sipping salted caramel drink hasn’t taken off. After all, the super trendy salted caramel flavor has been around for a number of years, to the point where I can barely visit any semi-popular food sites without being assaulted by their “appointed food trend expert” proclaiming how tired and overplayed salted caramel is. I don’t care though, I still love the stuff and will continue to consume it in any fashion I can.

The Salted Caramel Drink. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Which leads me back to this salted caramel drink and the mystery behind why it’s not more popular. AJ’s love of burnt sugar caramel cannot be overstated. He just loves the stuff. Whether it’s in ice cream form, drizzled on a cheesecake, or made into a cookie bar, every time I make something with salted caramel, it’s pretty much gone by the next day. Which makes the drinking caramel pretty darn dangerous to have around. But you know, not Fizzy Lifting Drink dangerous. Just, you know, caloric dangerous.

Salted Caramel Sipping Drink. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

If you like this caramel recipe, try some of my other caramel recipes:
Caramel Bars with Salted Roasted Cashews
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Sauce
Apple Pie Bars with Easy Caramel Sauce
Super Easy Caramel Apples
Caramel Apple Popcorn
Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake

And check out these awesome caramel recipes from around the web:
Shutterbean’s Bourbon Salted Caramels
David Lebovitz’ Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream Recipe
Love and Olive Oil’s Chocolate Whiskey Bundt Cake with Whiskey Caramel Sauce
Recipe Girl’s Caramel Apple Scones
Sprinkle Bakes’ Triple Salted Caramel Cupcakes

Risa February 24, 2014 at 5:11 am

Salted caramel is my favorite indulgence. This looks completely sinful and I can’t want to try it!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 24, 2014 at 5:43 am

I think Wonka would agree this beats the pants off his fizzy lifting drink. Besides, sugar can make you fly right? I mean red bull gives you wings so… Let’s just go with it.

Charlotte February 24, 2014 at 6:25 am

This is evil! How I ever meant to drink any other hot beverage again? Looks fantastic. :)

Shikha @ Shikha la mode February 24, 2014 at 11:41 am

I totally seeing this going well with Kahlua as well!

Danielle @ TheCharmItSpot February 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm

This looks so good!! I love salted caramel! I would LOVE to try this. Thanks for sharing!

Ariel February 25, 2014 at 6:56 pm

good thing you live around the corner from bi-rite where you can get some decent salted caramel ice cream anytime. ;)

Marisa February 26, 2014 at 2:18 am

We really need something to get us through this polar vortex we’re experiencing. This looks like the perfect treat. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Aggie February 26, 2014 at 5:51 am

Salted caramel is my jam. This sounds absolutely amazing!!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life February 26, 2014 at 6:23 am

I adore salted caramel! This drink sounds crazy good!

Jennie @themessybakerblog February 26, 2014 at 8:20 am

Why am I just now hearing about this drink. And, now that I know such a drink exists, I’m going to want to make it every day.

Catherine February 26, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Looks de-lish!

Yvo February 26, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Yes. Just yes.

PS I don’t care how passe salted caramel becomes, it is the best of many worlds and I am right there with you, eating/drinking/ingesting it till the sun dies.

merri February 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

i tried a sip of this (well, their recipe of it) at craftsman & wolves. wow. sooo sweet. it’s sort of an aquired taste but it kind of reminds me of butter beer. you know, the harry potter drink. but hot.

Carla February 27, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Wait, what? I didn’t know there was a such thing as drinking salted caramel without hot chocolate or coffee! I can’t wait to try this (and long live salted caramel! It will never go out of style in my eyes).

Miss Kim @ behgopa February 28, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Awesome! Looks like one of them drinks to enjoy on a self indulging day. Being an iced drink lover, I think I’d become addicted to the iced version of this. Have you ever made this iced?

Shanna @ Pineapple and Coconut February 28, 2014 at 4:56 pm

oohhh myyyyyyy. I am wth AJ, salted caramel is my jam and doesn’t last long in my house at all. I love the idea of this so much, I have had drinking chocolate in the past but I am so much more a salted caramel lover than a chocolate lover and using tea and the black flake salt ( which I happen to own some) makes me like this even more. Pinning. saving. making. Love it

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 28, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Utterly my kind of drink! It’s funny how we deconstruct recipes and have visions of adding our own touch :) The salted scene has been around the block but it works, I don’t think it’ll ever leave us and I’m cool with that.

Krista March 5, 2014 at 11:19 am

I absolutely love salted caramel, and this looks phenomenal! I’m with you, let the foodies move on, I’m sticking with the salted caramel goodness, too!

Kim Beaulieu March 9, 2014 at 2:48 pm

This is beyond gorgeous. I can just imagine ow good this must taste. It’s going on the must try list.

Pietu April 25, 2014 at 5:31 am

I’ve been wondering how I’d be using my salted caramel vodka that i got for a present.. Don’t have to think twice now, thanks :) I guess i’m going to do my own little twist tho and make the caramel base from condensed milk.