Chocolate Marshmallow Cake, inspired by the Hostess™ Cupcake

by Irvin on February 17, 2014 · 24 comments

If you love the classic Hostess™ Cupcake treats, you’ll love this homemade chocolate marshmallow cake, with step-by-step instructions on how to make it!

Chocolate Marshmallow Cake. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

There’s a reason why you don’t see me making cute little cakes and precious little treats here on the blog. I like to pretend it’s because I’m super sophisticated and eschew the trappings of a delightfully dainty decorated pie. But really it’s because I’m a bit of a klutz in the kitchen with very little hand-eye coordination. I have traumatizing memories of junior high gym where I was forced, in front of the class, to free-throw basketballs in my oversized shorts. It did not end well. Thus it comes as no surprise that when I went to make a big chocolate marshmallow cake cake inspired by the old-school Hostess™ cupcake (you know, the ones with the squiggly white doodle on top) I failed miserably at making it look adorable. Instead I got something that looks like a monkey did it; a not very coordinated monkey at that. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Chocolate Marshmallow Cake. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Of course my friend Shauna, of the fabulously blog Piece of Cake, told me she thought it looked rather charming. Or, to be exact, “Kind of vintage adorable” was what she texted to me, after I messaged her a pic of my cake fail. Throw a 50s style housedress on me and some horn-rimmed glasses and all of sudden the cake makes sense I guess. Oh to be a vintage drag queen…I’d lounge about the house, drinking martinis and whipping up cakes just like this, all charmingly quirky and delectably darling.

But since I loathe the idea shaving my legs and I doubt I could pull off horn-rimmed glasses, I’ll stick with my jeans and argyle sweater vests. And once I sliced into this cake, with the bouncy happy marshmallow filling, it didn’t look that bad. In fact, it looked kind of cute. And when I asked AJ if it reminded him of a Hostess™ cupcake he shook his head and said “No, this is WAY better than any plastic wrapped cupcake from the grocery store.” Now that feels like jump shot swish to me.

Slices of Chocolate Marshmallow Filled Cake. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

If you like this chocolate marshmallow cake recipe inspired by the Hostess™ Cupcake, try my other chocolate cake recipes:
Marble Cake with Meyer Lemon and Chocolate
Chocolate Cake & Jealousy
Chocolate Cupcake Cones (with a cherry on top!)
Chocolate Rolled Cake with Pistachios and Brown Sugar Buttercream
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake

If you like marshmallows, check out some of my other homemade marshmallow recipes:
Carrot Cake Marshmallows
Red Velvet S’mores with Cream Cheese Marshmallows
Strawberry Marshmallows which are used in my Peanut Butter S’More with Strawberry Marshmallows & Bacon Peanut Brittle

And check out some of these awesome chocolate cake recipes from around the web:
101 Cookbook’s No Bake Chocolate Cake
David Lebovitz’ Chocolate Idiot Cake (gluten free)
Shutterbean’s Earl Grey Chocolate Cake
Gimme Some Oven’s Guinness Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Sweetapolita’s Six Layer Dark Chocolate and Strawberry Buttercream Cake

The Suzzzz February 17, 2014 at 6:54 am

I just had left over chocolate cake for breakfast, it didn’t look nearly as cute as yours. I think this is the one and only time reading your posts before 8am hasn’t made me hungry…but it does make me want to try this recipe.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar February 17, 2014 at 10:09 am

The filling in this is unreal! LOVE this!

Belinda @zomppa February 17, 2014 at 2:59 pm

You’re a bad, bad, bad man who I adore almost as much as I adore this bad, bad, bad cake.

merry jennifer February 17, 2014 at 4:56 pm

What a beautiful cake, Irvin. I love the creativity that went into it.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 18, 2014 at 5:39 am

Your step-by-step filling pictures make it looks so much easier than I would have expected. Love this!

Jennie @themessybakerblog February 18, 2014 at 8:05 am

Now I have this image of you wearing horn-rimmed glasses and an argyle sweater. The marshmellow cream would have reluctantly made it into the innards of this cake if I were making it. It’s hard to resist sweet cream. Your cake is gorgeous.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen February 18, 2014 at 8:59 am

I think your coordination is better than you think, because this is adorable! I love homemade versions of childhood faves!

Pat February 18, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I would love to throw a vintage housedress on you — and you could wear tights, if necessary. This is a great post; I love the idea. Moon Pies next?

tracy February 18, 2014 at 7:38 pm

kinda freaking out over this one!! YOU ARE A GENIUS.

Miss Kim @ behgopa February 19, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I’ve been having a sweet tooth since last night. This looks fabulous! I wish I could have some right now with my coffee. All of your creations that I’ve seen so far look beautiful. I find it hard to imagine that you made something that looked like a monkey did it lol.

Aimee @ Simple Bites February 20, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Okay, I’ve never had a Hostess Cupcake, but after seeing your cake, I can ONLY go for the homemade version now. ;) Looks amazing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks February 21, 2014 at 12:30 am

Such a genius cake! Love all the step shots and what I wouldn’t give for a bite! pinned

Helen @ Scrummy Lane February 21, 2014 at 6:07 am

Oh wow! So impressive! It’s chocolate surprise cake!

Sarah @ Sarah Cooks the Books February 21, 2014 at 8:41 am

Wow. That’s SO COOL! I’d like to try this with different colored creams on the inside. Could make for a really happy cake!

Liren February 21, 2014 at 9:24 am

Slam dunk, indeed, Irvin – this cake looks fantastic! Baking beats high school gym class ANY day. I shudder at some of the memories!

Shauna February 21, 2014 at 10:50 am

Huzzah! Nailed it. xxoo

Toni | Boulder Locavore February 22, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Aren’t you the most clever baker?! This looks fantastic and everyone will love the surprise in the middle. Beautifully done my friend.

Nice and Clean Camden February 24, 2014 at 12:46 am

This looks absolutely delicious! And so creative! Pinning it for later!

Brian @ A Thought For Food February 24, 2014 at 10:48 am

Danger. Danger. Danger. I’m not even a Hostess cake fan but I wouldn’t think for a second before digging into this gorgeous cake. I like how perfectly you nailed that squiggly icing (and that it’s called squiggly icing :-)).

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life February 26, 2014 at 6:31 am

Whatever! It looks amazing!!! I wish there was a slice of it here with my coffee! Love the step by step shots of putting the filling in! Genius!

Lauren March 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm

This cake is GENIUS! My kids (not not mention my husband) will go crazy for this cake with the surprise inside!!

Kim Beaulieu March 9, 2014 at 3:35 pm

This has to happen in my kitchen stat. This is such a cool idea. A nice little surprise inside. My daughter would go nuts for this.

Kayla June 24, 2014 at 8:05 pm

My husband loves the Hostess cupcakes so I made this for his birthday. It was Delicious! Everyone who took a bite had something good to say about it. At first I was intimidated by it, but your instructions made it very easy. Thanks for an even better version of a favorite!

nell July 7, 2014 at 2:45 am

I made this cake for my husband’s workplace. It came out beautifully.

The only changes I made were to use half cake flour, to use 1/2 cup oil instead of 1/4 cup and to use half crème fraiche and half single cream instead of buttermilk because I didn’t have any buttermilk (it is hard to come by here in the UK). So I made it a bit richer. Definitely not a mistake! Though I’m sure it would have been fine as is too.

I am very impressed both by your concept and your execution of the concept! My effort was a bit messier on the bottom – but hey, who cares? I’m now going to try this method on that ‘Hostess Twinkie Bundt Cake’ recipe floating around on the internet. You know what they say, practice makes perfect!

I’m also wondering how this would be with a filling of stabilized whipped cream instead of marshmallow goo. Though the students at hubby’s work love very sweet stuff, we don’t and a filling of stabilised cream or even crème fraiche, barely sweetened, maybe flavoured with brandy, might be really, really good. (Maybe forget the frosting and icing also). What do you think? I know it wouldn’t be true to the Hostess Cupcake concept, but it might be delicious!