Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe, Day 5 of Chicken Wings Week

by Irvin on January 24, 2014 · 17 comments

This Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe is above and beyond better than your typical teriyaki chicken wing recipe! Easy to make, either baked, broiled or grilled!

Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe for Wings. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

“This one. These are the best wings. Ever!” declared AJ, even though he pretty much said that of every single chicken wings batch I’ve made. Truth be told, I think it’s the proverbial apples to oranges when it comes to comparing the different wing recipes that I made over the past week for Chicken Wings Week. But the one that AJ seemed to definitively declare the best (at least at the moment) were my Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe that I converted for the wings. I can’t really argue because I kind of love them too. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Korean BBQ Chicken Wings. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Now these Korean BBQ chicken wings aren’t to be confused with the Korean Fried Chicken wings that I posted about earlier this week. Those sticky sweet crispy wings are a class all by themselves (and were also declared AJ’s favorite at the time that I made them). But these wings are marinated in the same marinade that you’d find at Korean BBQ house, the kind that you walk into and feast on seeming endless amounts of marinated meat grilled at your table whereby you walk out of smelling like smoky meaty goodness for days afterwards. The sort of marinade that is normally associated with Kalbi short ribs. But this Korean BBQ marinade work just as well with chicken or pork or pretty much any meat now that I think about it.

Korean BBQ marinated chicken wings. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

The best thing about these wings is you make the marinade in the evening, throw everything in a gallon ziplock bag, then bake, grill or broil the wings the next day. Super easy and perfect for a crowd. They’re similar to teriyaki wings so they won’t freak people out who get scared easily by “foreign” cuisine, but they’re SO much better than the super sweet teriyaki sauce you can buy pre-made in the bottle. But don’t take my word for it. AJ came home from a bike ride and I was pulling them out of the oven. He hovered over me as I finished them and then proceeded to eat 1 1/2 lbs of them without even taking a breather. Apparently they really were the best wings ever.

AJ and a pile of Korean BBQ Chicken Wing bones. Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

This is the end of Chicken Wings Week here at Eat the Love! If you liked my Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe for Wings, check out my other posts for Chicken Wings recipes from this week:
Pok Pok Chicken Wings
Korean Fried Chicken (baked not fried!)
Honey Fried Chicken, Mississippi Style!
Mole Chicken Wings with Tequila Lime Marinade

And check out these nine other awesome chicken wings recipe from around the web. So many wing recipes, so little time!
Verses from My Kitchen’s Sticky Lime Grilled Chicken Wings
The Shiksa in the Kitchen’s Spicy Middle Eastern Chicken Wings
Love and Olive Oil’s Sweet Tea-Brined Hot Chicken Wings
Comfort of Cooking’s Baked Honey-Sriracha Chicken Wings
Chocolate Moosey’s Jack Daniel’s Honey BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
Food Republic’s Gin And Lemon Chicken Wings
Steamy Kitchen’s Sticky Asian Chicken Wings
Sea Salt with Food’s Crispy Baked Lemongrass Chicken Wings
A Culinary Journey with Chef Dennis’ The Best Buffalo Chicken Wings

And finally, here’s a video by my pal Chef John of Food Wishes on how to properly eat a chicken wing!

Belinda @zomppa January 24, 2014 at 6:58 pm

You’re killin’ me with these recipes.

Chelsea January 24, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Hey Irvin, these sound delicious, and I’ve been searching tentatively for something better than the standard teriyaki sauce. As a person who loves a person who objects to the kiwi’s very existence, do you think pineapple might be a good substitute? It’s got the sweet, tropical thing, and it’s got similar tenderizing enzymes, right?

Kim Porter January 25, 2014 at 10:08 am

These look incredible! Will be making them next weekend. I too am still heartbroken over the loss of Gourmet. Thanks for sharing…new to your blog and am loving it.

Arthur in the Garden! January 25, 2014 at 11:11 am

Yum!

Caroline Hurley January 26, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I’ve been so enjoying every one of these wing recipes! These are making my heart pitter patter! My hubby saw the photos and stopped in his tracks…guess what we are making for Superbowl! :)

Jayrudq January 30, 2014 at 11:20 am

Kiwi? Wonderful, surprising, and I cannot resist trying. Guess there will be TWO kinds of Korean wings at my house this weekend.
Thanks!

Sarah March 19, 2014 at 8:23 am

Made these on Saturday… Delicious!!!!!

joanne April 11, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Have you ever heard about Azekas ribs from Maui? The place is long gone but everyone loved their Kalbi ribs that they marinated and you brought home to bbq. This recipe sounds like it would be really good with those cross cut ribs. Any suggestions as to how to convert this recipe to beef?

Irvin April 11, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I spent a summer in Maui (in Kihei actually) but sadly it was after Azeka’s closed. They sound great though!

I would actually use the exact marinade without any change. Just keep in mind that the you shouldn’t overmarinate the beef (keep them in there for no longer than 8 hours) because there’s an enzyme in the kiwis that break down the meat. I made the mistake once of marinated short ribs in this marinade for 12+ hours thinking “the longer the better!” but the meat was weirdly mushy! But 8 hours or shorter and you should be fine!

Nicole May 17, 2014 at 6:04 pm

My husband and I JUST made this recipe …. so good!!
We only had time to marinate for six hours, the flavor was still amazing.

We will be adding this to our list of favorites and making it again soon!
Thank you!!

Rebecca May 27, 2014 at 9:19 am

My husband just made the double fried korean wings this past weekend. While they were AMAZING, it took a lot of time when we had 20 guests in the house. So I’m excited to find this as a potential alternative for next time. Question though: which method do you find is best – bake, broil or grill? Looking forward to trying!

Irvin May 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I really love grilling these wings because the marinade gives the chicken a really great smokey caramelized flavor. But if you are doing a big batch for guests, baking them in the oven might be the way to go. I doubled the recipe once and just baked them all in the oven for a group of 12 adults (4 kids). Way easier than manning the grill and turning all those tiny pieces of chicken wings.

danielle May 28, 2014 at 7:10 am

if a guest is allergic to kiwi – do you have any suggested alternative?

Irvin May 29, 2014 at 6:53 pm

You could try a little pineapple. The enzyme in kiwis that tenderize meat is called actinidin and it’s present in pineapple, mango, banana and papaya. I think pineapple would probably be the easiest substitute to use though a mango would be tasty too! I’d try a 1 to 1 substitutions, so maybe 1/2 cup of diced pineapple or mango to the marinade. But I haven’t tried this substitution so I can’t be certain. If you try it, please come back and tell me how it turned out!

Gena August 7, 2014 at 4:25 pm

THIS IS THE BEST WINGS RECIPE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

betsy September 7, 2014 at 11:33 am

Yum yum yum , is all I can say. But I have to admit , I ommited the sesame seeds and the green onions only because I didn’t have those ingredients. But so good ‘thank you for this recipe.

Cloey November 17, 2014 at 7:36 am

Hi, I don’t have fresh finger to grate so wonder I can replace of with minced ginger comes in tube at store ( or ground ginger) if so how much do I need? Thanks!