Chocolate Crackle Cookies

by Irvin on December 6, 2013 · 18 comments

The classic chocolate crackle cookies that everyone loves for the holidays. A simple and easy recipe for everyone!

Chocolate Crackle Cookies. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

I’m going to be honest with about these here chocolate crackle cookies. They should probably be called chocolate crack cookies. In fact, they are so good I wasn’t sure I’d be able to photograph any of them for this blog because AJ kept on going in and eating one after another. At one point he asked me if he could eat yet One. More. Cookie. and I looked at him and said, “Well only if you can find an ugly one because I need to photograph them.” He looked at them carefully, than poked his finger into one of them and said “This one has a big dent in it…” and proceeded to pop it in his mouth. #Sigh (Jump directly to the recipe.)

A pan of chocolate crackle cookies waiting to be eaten. Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

So here’s the deal with these chocolate crackles, the ones that always show up around the holiday season and are just as cute as they are addictive. And, as much as I love changing them up, and turning them into black forest crackle cookies or reversing them into a white chocolate oreo cocoa powdered cookie, there’s just something to be said about the basic classic chocolate crackle cookie. It’s timeless, it’s simple and it’s a holiday crowd pleaser.

Chocolate Crackle Cookies by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

So I tried real hard this time to stick to the basics, which, if you know me, is a tough call. I like to mix things up, make them different, use wacky ingredients, throwing in unexpected flavors. But this time, this time I reigned it in. Because sometimes a classic is a classic for a reason. Make these and you’ll understand what I mean. And don’t be surprised if these crackle cookies disappear faster than…well faster than an illicit drug.

If you like these chocolate crackle cookies, check out some of my other crackle cookies:
Reverse Crackle Cookies (white chocolate cookie with an dark chocolate outer dusting)
Gluten Free Black Forest Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

And while you’re at it, check out these awesome crackle cookies from around the web!
Simply Scratch’s Dark Chocolate Mint Crackle Cookies
The View from Great Island’s Bourbon Pecan Crackle Cookies
Recipe Girl’s Chocolate Mint Crinkles
Two Peas and Their Pod’s Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
Pineapple and Coconut’s Gluten Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar December 6, 2013 at 6:53 am

These are my favorite holiday cookie!

Kathy - Panini Happy December 6, 2013 at 6:56 am

I applaud you in your restraint! :-) Sometimes a classic is classic for a reason – these are definitely among my favorites.

Jennie @themessybakerblog December 6, 2013 at 10:10 am

I think I would have done the exact same thing AJ did to get a cookie. These look wonderful.

Belinda @zomppa December 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Me and A&J have the same food brain….

Janice (@KtchnHealsSoul) December 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Great tip about rolling the cookies in granulated sugar first before the icing sugar! These are my favourite: so so chocolatey :)

claudia December 7, 2013 at 12:12 am

This was one of my favorite Christmas cookies as a child. We called them Pixies–I think because they are so much like brownies. The recipe got lost over the years. Delighted to have your new and improved version. Thanks so much!

Trent @ Food Assault December 7, 2013 at 2:55 am

It just makes me feel like a kid again having Choccy Crackles……and coming into the festive season I just love it…….now chocolate crackle cookies? Yes sir!

Kim Beaulieu December 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I love these cookies. I need to make the immediately. I like the idea of using chocolate extract. I just happen to have a bottle handy. Off to check off the black forest version.

Aimee @ Simple Bites December 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Thank you for testing Martha’s recipe. ;)

I have never made this classic cookie. I know. It is time.

Jane F December 11, 2013 at 7:18 am

These were new to me. This is evidently a Christmas tradition that has yet to make it across the Atlantic…until now. I made them last night and they went down a storm in my office today. Thanks for a great recipe!

Irvin December 12, 2013 at 12:37 am

What? They haven’t made it across the big pond? Well you must be the ambassador of them then! I’m glad your office liked them. I think they are one of my favorites!

Maria December 12, 2013 at 7:09 am

Beautiful cookies! Always a favorite too!

Sue/the view from great island December 12, 2013 at 7:11 am

I LOVE these photos, you really captured what is so alluring about these cookies…pinning, pining, and pinning!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} December 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Thanks for linking-in my recipe Irvin! You are da bomb… and these cookies aren’t lookin’ or soundin’ too shabby either :) Happy Holidays!

Mrs. L December 21, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Love these are basic but I bet oh so good. Must make them in the new year!

Stengel99 January 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Thanks for the instructions. I made my first ever batch of crackle cookies (red velvet) and the powdered sugar coating was completely invisible after cooking. I’ll follow your instructions for my next batch.

Trina September 17, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I appreciate you sharing a recipe you love. I want to make these cookies for one of my neighbor boys, but I am always a little nervous to try recipes from online because I live in a high elevation(a little over 5000 feet). I notice you live in San Fransico. Do you have any experience baking in high elevations? Do you think this recipe would turn out well at a high elevation?

Irvin September 17, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Since I live in San Francisco, sadly I don’t have a ton of experience in high-altitude baking. I’m basically at sea level! But there’s a great reference guide at King Arthur flour that can help you with converted to high altitude baking. The one for cookies is at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/high-altitude-baking.html.

That said, cookies aren’t as persnickety as cakes in terms of baking, so you could just try this recipe as is and see what happens. If you do, let me know how it turns out (or if you figure out an adaptation for it high altitude, I’d love to know).