Red Velvet S’Mores with Cream Cheese Marshmallows

by Irvin on May 27, 2013 · 26 comments

Red Velvet Smores with Cream Cheese Marshmallows. #Recipe and photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

“Red Velvet S’Mores would pimp slap slutty brownies…” read the text from my friend Shauna. I had messaged her about making cream cheese marshmallows and one thing led to another, as it often does when I’m chatting with her. I had originally had an idea for a different dessert, but as we texted back and forth about the merits of storebought marshmallows vs homemade (clearly the homemade wins) she told me that I had to make Red Velvet S’Mores with Cream Cheese Marshmallows. Who am I to argue with the woman who wrote the book on marshmallows?

The next day I decided I needed to share these sweets with my friend Megan and Erik and their children Brady and Rylan. After all, one of the best things about having friends with kids is getting their offspring all sugared up so we can play with them hyper. Then we get to leave the parents with the sugar-shocked children and not have to deal with the aftermath. I know it’s not super responsible, but it sure makes for a fun afternoon.

Erik hanging with Brady and Rylan. Photo by A.J. Bates of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Rylan was a bit young to be eating the s’mores, but Brady pretty much devoured his. Well he actually went to town more on the cream cheese marshmallow in the middle and left the graham cracker part behind, but that’s OK. AJ and I finished the graham cracker parts and Megan and Erik finished theirs s’mores without a crumb left so apparently these were adult friendly treats too.

Brady eating smores. Photo by A.J. Bates of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

The rest of the afternoon had us playing with the kids, as we watched Brady and Rylan hit the t-ball, pull their stuffed animals along with their tricycle and giving Brady a lesson on how to ride a bike. Turns out Megan is way better at giving lessons on how to ride a bike than Erik. Which is amusing as Erik and AJ had just gone on a mountain biking ride that morning as AJ is in training for the AIDS Lifecycle where he’ll be cycling from San Francisco to Los Angeles in less than a week! (ps. it’s not too late to donate!)

Teaching Brady how to ride a bike. Photo by A.J. Bates of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Of course, after Brady got tired of riding the bike, he decided he wanted to push us on the same bike, so we all got our own lesson on how to ride a child size bike. All in all it was a pretty awesome afternoon, hanging out with friends and adorable kids, playing in the yard and the neighborhood streets and eating smores. Why can’t all weekends be that way?

Brady Pushing Dad on the bike. Instagram photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar May 27, 2013 at 6:16 am

Sweet goodness, this is awesome! Love that cookie you used especially!!

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:36 am

Thanks Katrina! The cookies is probably my favorite part of it. I love homemade graham crackers.

Beatrice May 27, 2013 at 1:03 pm

These look so amazing!
I have a question, though: I only have gelatin in sheets, so how much should I use?

Thanks a lot :)

Irvin May 27, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Oh good question! The conversion from sheets to powder is pretty contentious in the pastry world. I rarely use sheets as they aren’t as easy to find and the powdered stuff is pretty easy to buy at the grocery store. David Lebovitz recommends 3.5 sheets per package of powdered stuff, so I guess 7 sheets. But I think it might also depend on what strength your sheets are (silver, gold, platinum), though I believe gold is most common.

For more information, visit check out David’s post on it gelatin. Hope this helps!

Jameson Fink May 27, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Great photos of Brady, who REALLY seems to be enjoying his smore. Well, at least the cream cheese marshmallow.

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:37 am

Brady REALLY enjoyed the smores, the marshmallows in particular! And he’s just as adorable in person as he is in those pictures.

Cookbook Queen May 27, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Holy cow, these are fab. Shauna was right…they blow Slutty Brownies right out the water!!

Or pimp slap them. Whichever. ;)

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:37 am

Ha! Totally Shauna’s words not mine.

Alicia Jay May 27, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Woah. Not only are the cream cheese marshmallows + red velvet graham crackers a match made in heaven, but your photos are fantastic. The s’mores look like they’re tumbling all over each other and eager to be eaten! Sounds like a hit recipe…and I second what you said about being the fun aunt/uncle/friend who gets to play with the kids, give them lots of delicious treats, and then coolly avoid the sugar-charged rush after the damage is done.

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:38 am

Thanks Alicia! It’s definitely the best part of having friends/siblings with kids. You can play with them, but the minute they start getting cranky it’s time to go! ;)

Liren May 27, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Holy cow, this made me stop in my tracks. Love everything about it! And if you’re looking for more kids and bike riding, I’m happy to offer mine…if you bring the red velvet s’mores :)

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:35 am

LOL. Actually nearly all of our friends have kids now so we are pretty well stocked with kids to play with. But if we ever feel like we’re needing a kids fix and none of them are available we’ll give you a holler!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen May 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Off. The. Chain! Irvin, these Red Velvet S’mores with Cream Cheese Marshmallows are wickedly creative! The photographs are gorg. LOVE! xo

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:39 am

Awww. Thanks Stacy! I had a fun time photographing them. I was trying to do something a bit more commercial in look with the photographs than I have in the past with the lighting, so I’m glad you liked them.

marla May 27, 2013 at 8:24 pm

OMG did u go there or what! These are FUN!

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:33 am

Oh yeah I did! Thanks Marla.

Miss Kim @ behgopa May 28, 2013 at 12:55 am

Ohhh yummm!! They look soooo delish.

Looks like everyone had a blast on a sunny afternoon, creating memories. What a naughty but funny thing you do, getting the kids all sugared up for the parents to deal with afterwards lol. That is hilarious.

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:41 am

Thanks Miss Kim! The smores were great, but playing with the kids was definitely the highlight! In truth, I think AJ and I wore them out so they probably weren’t too much trouble for the parents. At least I hope not. ;)

Sophia May 28, 2013 at 1:24 am

I love the sound (and look!) of these! I have been meaning to bake my own graham crackers and make marshmallows again (I totally agree that the homemade ones are so much better than storebought!). As for the red food colour, you do realize that food colourants are meant to make kids hyper as well? I now feel somewhat sorry for your friends to be left with kids both high on sugar and high on food colourants! Haha

One thing I noticed in the recipe that I think needs fixing – Step 6 refers to spreading the cream cheese marshmallow fluff over “over the carrot marshmallow”.

Irvin May 28, 2013 at 1:33 am

Yikes! Thanks Sophia, I’ve changed that recipe step.

And yes, I’ve heard the links between ADD and red food coloring. I actually don’t like to use artificial food coloring in my food too much but it’s just hard to avoid with the red velvet anything. Luckily I know my friends and they are pretty good about feeding their kids non-processed food mostly. So I figure a little food coloring now and then won’t hurt them too much.

And it turned out that Brady didn’t even want to eat the graham cracker that much but went for the marshmallow!

Belinda @zomppa May 28, 2013 at 3:11 am

Beet juice is the closest I’ve come to red velvet au natural. Love the sweet and those photos are priceless!

Irvin May 29, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Belinda!

I’ve only had middling results with beet juice. Usually it turns a dull burgundy and I have to use a lot of it to get it there. But (hopefully) one of these days someone will crack the code!

Tamara May 29, 2013 at 7:00 am

These look amazing! I am a Southern girl who’s been making red velvet cake for 20 years. I also love making homemade marshmallows and agree the store bought ones don’t even compare. I’ve made many different marshmallow flavors and love the idea of cream cheese marshmallows. Love it!

Irvin May 29, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Tamara! Actually the cream cheese marshmallows were taken from one of my earlier recipes – Carrot Cake Marshmallows! But you’re totally right, the homemade ones are totally superior to store bought ones….

Nancy @ gottagetbaked June 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

These are gorgeous photos, Irvin, and your smores look rockin’ good. Homemade marshmallows and graham crackers are both on my culinary bucket list. Hopefully I’ll be brave enough to attempt them sometime this summer…although they’d be dangerous to have around. I’m not much for sharing, just ask my waistline.

Alana June 14, 2013 at 8:10 am

This is GENIUS!!! I think this finally convinced me to buy a candy thermometer.