Gluten Free Chocolate Shortbread Sandwich Cookies with Salted Butterscotch Filling for Your Valentine’s Day

by Irvin on February 11, 2013 · 20 comments

Gluten Free Chocolate Shortbread Sandwich Cookie with Salted Butterscotch Filling for Valentine's Day by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

“What?!? I had no idea that you were gluten free too…” I said to my friend Ilysia when I was visiting New York for the Roger Smith Cookbook Conference. It seems more and more of my friends are giving up gluten for health reasons and Ilysia was one of them. She asked me if I was gluten free or if I just wrote about it a lot on my blog and I said that I just happen to like to mix it up a bit. After all, I have a lot of gluten free readers and friend, and this blog is all about sharing the love. And since Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, it makes sense to share these Gluten Free Chocolate Shortbread Sandwich Cookies with Salted Butterscotch Filling with you all (don’t worry, I have notes in the recipe on how make it with regular all purpose flour as well).

I’ll be honest, I’ve never really been into Valentine’s Day. I’m not the usual bitter “Oh Valentine’s Day is a total retail trap designed to make everyone feel bad” sort of guy (you TOTALLY know who I’m talking about). But AJ and I aren’t the sort of people to go and buy tons of gifts and spend a ridiculous amount of money for heart shaped filet mignon at a restaurant just for Valentine’s Day. In fact, holidays and when we celebrate them, tend to be rather malleable in our relationship (true story: we just exchanged our Christmas present last week). But I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…AJ is my baking musing and nine times out of ten, I’m baking something because I know he would like it.

Which is how these gluten free cookies came about. I was leaving for New York and I though I would be back for Valentine’s Day, I wanted to make sure that AJ had a little something sweet to eat while I was gone. And after one bite of the cookie, he looked at with his big brown eyes and I realized that THAT was what Valentine’s Day was about. Love. Damn you chocolate shortbread sandwich cookies, you made me all sentimental over Valentine’s Day. Damn you.

Culinary Collage February 11, 2013 at 6:29 am

These are so adorable for Valentine’s Day!

a farmer in the dell February 11, 2013 at 7:40 am

now this is my kind of cookie! Adorable and delicious!

A.J. February 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Despite the painful look on my face, these cookies are delicious. I am eating one (that I had set aside for myself) as I read this at work on my lunch break. Most of the rest went to my chemistry lecture class last Wednesday. Some of the students were still talking about them today!

Ruthy @ omeletta February 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm

These are so perfect for my most eye-rolling-ly day of the year! (did that make sense?) I feel you on V-Day… not a fan overall, but I love all the great baking recipes that come out right about now!
Embarrassing confession: I’ve never heard of teff flour. Is it imperative? Are there substitutes?

Irvin February 14, 2013 at 1:22 am

Teff flour is actually a great flour to acquaint yourself with! It’s the primary flour used in injera, the spongey sourdough flatbread that you get in Ethiopian restaurants. It has a lovely deep malty flavor that works really well with chocolate and is fairly nutritious, providing protein, calcium, fiber and iron.

That said, you can certainly substitute any other flour that you’d like for the teff. Try a 50/50 split of mesquite and buckwheat as a substitution, or use superfine brown rice flour in its place. You could probably even try something like millet, quinoa or sorghum flour as a replacement as well. If you do substitute any of these flours, let me know how it turns out!

Alyska August 27, 2013 at 7:05 pm

How about a substitute for the mesquite flour? I can find most of the others near me, but the mesquite will give me the biggest problem (especially because it doesn’t seem to be a 1:1 trade with other grain-based flours!)

Irvin August 28, 2013 at 1:11 am

Hmmmm… Good point. If I were to swap it out, I’d probably try adding more teff and/or buckwheat. Since it’s only 50 g, I’d probably go for a 1:1 sub and maybe add 30 g teff + 20 g buckwheat. I don’t think at that little amount it’ll make much difference in the outcome (though the mesquite does add an awesome flavor which is why I used it).

Good luck and tell me how they turn out if make them!

Alyska September 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I made them for a friend’s engagement party this weekend. Between them, they’re both gluten-free AND dairy-free (and also requested no fruity flavors in the dessert!) it was an interesting challenge.

Unable to find the mesquite flour, I made the substitution you recommended above. I used coconut milk powder instead of the whole milk powder, an Earth Balance “buttery spread” (their recommended butter substitute for baking) in place of the butter, and in the filling, I strained almond milk yogurt to use in place of the Greek yogurt.

The only “weirdnesses” were in starting the butterscotch – you obviously can’t “brown” a fake butter spread, and when incorporating the flour, a layer of oil refused to combine at first. With some extra time and stirring, however, it incorporated just fine.

The cookies turned out wonderfully (almost four dozen disappeared in less than 90 minutes, and here were only a dozen or two people there!)

I also had a couple comments that the cookies tasted like Oreos, and wonderings about what would happen if they had a cream or coconut cream filling instead…

Thanks for the help, and the wonderful recipe!

Belinda @zomppa February 11, 2013 at 6:27 pm

This is pretty darn brilliant. I’m trying to reduce gluten intake, and this is brilliant – the crushed seeds are great – so technically, this is a supercookie…..

Krissy @ Make it Naked February 11, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Salted butterscotch filling?! Is this for real? YES! I’m GF and excited about those cookies but let’s be real, that filling, get me a spoon.

Alice February 12, 2013 at 7:56 am

I’m totally into these kind of cookies with creamy filling!
On the other hand, i love you noted the conversion cups/grams.

Arthur in the Garden! February 12, 2013 at 8:10 am

Nice! Anything with chocolate and a filling is great!

Jamie February 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Have you tried making them DF as well as GF? If I had to substitute the milk powder for something, what would you recommend?

Irvin February 14, 2013 at 1:27 am

Good question! I used the milk powder to add a little richness to the cookie. That said, you can probably substitute the milk powder with nondairy creamer powder or coconut milk powder.

Or you can leave it out and/or try adding a starch or flour in it’s place (try glutinous rice flour or tapioca flour). I’ve never tried the cookie with these substitutes, so I can’t guarantee it will work but I think it might. Regardless, if you DO make it DF, please do come back and let me know what you used and how they turned out!

Jamie February 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

Thanks! I’ll try them out this weekend and let you know how they turn out.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen February 12, 2013 at 5:15 pm

These are adorable! One of my aunts just had to go gluten-free for health reasons, so I should probably start stockpiling this kind of recipe! Almost seems easier just to make all baked goods gluten free and vegan these days to satisfy all my friends’ diets!

The Healthy Apple February 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

OMG I just saw these 5 minutes ago and I don’t know how I missed them! These look BEAUTIFUL! You are so talented, Irvin! Seriously, these are amazing.
Hope you have a great LOVE day.
xo

Nik@ABrownTable February 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

Love, love, love, they look so cute and delicious!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking February 19, 2013 at 6:46 am

I love making sweet treats for Valentine’s day but not a fan or the over-priced chocolate candy at the store.
These cookies sure show the LOVE valentine’s day is all about!

Yosef - This American Bite February 21, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Not sure what I like about this more. The gluten-free ness or the salted-butterscotch-ness!