Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Bars with White Chocolate Vanilla Swirl

by Irvin on November 19, 2012 · 16 comments

Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Bars by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love | www.eatthelove.com | #pumpkin #cheesecake

“So…do you have any holiday recipes up? Because I have the best pumpkin pie recipe!” said the volunteer at the San Francisco and Marin Food Bank that I was photographing for my most recent Photo Essay. I sighed internally. This is always the problem with having a food blog. Everyone expects you to have a seasonal recipe up and as much as I love pumpkin pie, I posted one of my favorites recipes for it last year and I don’t have much drive to post another this year. I told the volunteer that I currently had a chocolate cake recipe up, but I plan on having something pumpkin next week. She seemed satisfied with my answer, but I couldn’t really tell. That’s ok though. If she could taste these pumpkin pie cheesecake bars with white chocolate vanilla swirl, she’d be pretty darn happy. I know I am.

It’s always a tough thing when you have a large group of people coming over for Thanksgiving dinner (or any dinner for that matter). Buffet style is how I roll when it comes down to it, but serving pumpkin pie for a large group can be hard. Usually it means I make two or three pumpkin pies, and that means I make more than one type of pumpkin pie. But that also means that those ambitious folks who want to taste everything, end up taking a slice of each pie, thus defeating the purpose of making multiple pies.

Of course, I could make several of the same sort of pumpkin pie, but in the end, I usually go with a selection of desserts for that special dinner, the classic pumpkin pie, usually a pear or apple pie, a cake of some sort for those who don’t like pie (crazy folks!) and maybe something else as well, depending on how I’m feeling. Luckily the desserts are fairly easy to make ahead of time and in the case of pumpkin pie and such, they actually need to be made ahead so they can set up.

Of course the classic pumpkin dessert, besides the ubiquitous pie, is the pumpkin cheesecake. I’ve made them before, but this time I decided to give it a bit of twist, adding a swirl of white chocolate and vanilla bean to the filling. Not only does it add a touch of whimsy and elegance, but the contrasting Autumnal spices of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice that I use in the pumpkin part is totally complimented by the sweet vanilla scented white chocolate swirl. It’s a great combination, and, as an added bonus, is easy to eat out of hand. Making this dessert awesome for a holiday buffet, or pretty much anytime now that I think of it.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 19, 2012 at 8:07 am

I am in total love with this! Awesome idea!

vanillasugarblog November 19, 2012 at 9:31 am

now this wins the most creative pumpkin recipe–ever!

Brian @ A Thought For Food November 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

Do you know what cheesecake does to me? I can’t resist it. As soon as I see that word, I just want to pick one up, grab a fork and go to town on it. So, yeah, I want these bars in my life.

Erika November 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Yay Speculoos cookies! They are also known as Dutch Windmill cookies, because they are often in the shape of a windmill. My favorite brand is Voortman (good Dutch name ;D) but Archway makes them too. TJ’s new Cookie Butter is so evil–speculoos on a spoon!

Belinda @zomppa November 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Put me in the mood!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, dear!

annette November 20, 2012 at 2:08 am

wow, they look fabulous and actually I really planned to bake some pumpkin-bars – but didn’t have any recipe or idea how.. :)
so thank u! they’ll be tried this weekend
best from Munich, Germany to far California
annette

Sonia November 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hi Irvin!

How long do you estimate for these bars? Just trying to plan – they look fab.

Irvin November 22, 2012 at 1:00 am

Hi Sonia!

Sorry I didn’t respond to you earlier. I would give yourself a good hour and half to two hours to make & bake them. Mostly it’s because you have to do stuff like cook down the pumpkin puree and melt the white chocolate. Nothing too difficult but it can take awhile. You do need to chill them before serving though, so take that into account!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen November 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I will never understand people who don’t like pie! I agree, crazy folks :)

These bars look delicious – I may have to extend pumpkin season to Christmas time just to make these!

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen November 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm

That gorgeous marble and vanilla bean flecks totally are doing it for me! I’ll admit to being one of those that want to try everything…If it looks good, I’m gonna want to try…

Paula November 23, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Made these in place of my usual pumpkin cheesecake or pumpkin pie. They were out of this world…

Lori @ RecipeGirl November 24, 2012 at 6:42 am

They are beautiful and delicious-looking. Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

lapiubelladitutte November 27, 2012 at 6:21 am

They look so delicious, ready to be eaten! I would love some after my dinner even thought thanksgiving are passed!!!

Naomi December 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

I think this recipe combines ALL of my favorite things! YUM – this will be great for Christmastime.

Jenna November 27, 2013 at 3:59 pm

How would you change the white to regular chocolate? Would you omit the vanilla?

Irvin November 27, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Hi Jenna. I would probably just omit the vanilla because the regular chocolate is a much stronger flavor than the white chocolate and the vanilla would get lost in it. Let me know what you think of it with regular chocolate!