Southern Comfort Pear Almond Frangipane Pie

by Irvin on May 7, 2012 · 12 comments

Remember a few posts ago, when I talked about the Pie and Pie party that I had at my friend Rita and Damon’s place? Well, technically the party should have been called Pies and Pies because both AJ and I made more than one pie. In fact, AJ made six (or was it seven?) pizzas for the group, while I made four sweet dessert pies. One of them, this Southern Comfort Pear Almond Frangipane Pie was ridiculously good.

Pear-Frangipane-Southern-Comfort-Pie-Irvin-Lin-Eat-The-Love-Lead

Maybe it’s the Southern Comfort or maybe it’s just that I love pears but this pie pretty much had it all for me, both in looks and taste. I wasn’t the only one, as my friend Rita kept on telling me that the pie looked so much better in real life than the one in the photograph that I adapted the recipe from. I would disagree, as the book, Classic Artisan Baking by Julian Day is pretty gorgeous. Truth be told, my pie had a more rustic homestyle feel, while the recipe that I pulled it from, a tart, was definitely something a little more upscale beautiful, well as upscale beautiful as an English rustic countryside version of a fruit tart can look. Of course, no one at the party really compared it to the book version, and, as usual, I gave it my own little American twist, adding the Southern Comfort, which I found buried in the back of Rita and Damon’s cabinet.

Pear-Frangipane-Southern-Comfort-Pie-Irvin-Lin-Eat-The-Love-1

Host Damon slicing into the Pear pie. (Photo By Rita Huang)

I’m actually a bit in love with the Classic Artisan Baking book. The photography from Steve Painter is homey and approachable, not overly styled and definitely exceedingly British countryside in feel. As I peruse the book, while in LA, I feel like I should be taking some tea and digestive cookies out to the garden, to watch the dogs scamper about with each other. Instead I frantically tried to make four pies and help AJ bake six (or seven) pizzas before all our guests arrived.

Pear-Frangipane-Southern-Comfort-Pie-Irvin-Lin-Eat-The-Love-7

Lee and I seem astonished at something, but Gavi is utterly unperturbed. (photo by Rita Huang)

The guests were, of course, grateful and gracious as we pulled pizza and pie out of the oven, one at a time. Most everyone reached for a slice of one of the pies for desserts (some, more than one slice of each pie) even though they were all stuffed from AJ’s pizzas. Even still, Rita and Damon had plenty of leftovers to last them through the week when we were long gone. Somehow, I don’t think they were complaining.

Pear-Frangipane-Southern-Comfort-Pie-Irvin-Lin-Eat-The-Love-6

Rustic American Pear Frangipane Pie with Southern Comfort

Special thanks goes to Ryland Peters & Small for providing me a review copy of Classic Artisan Baking by Julian Day. Though the book was provided by them, I was not compensated for anything I wrote above and all opinions are my own.

Belinda @zomppa May 7, 2012 at 8:07 am

That is one gorgeous pie…and want pie and pie and pie…what a spread (as usual!)

Irvin May 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thanks Belinda! It WAS quite the spread. I adore my friends down in LA!

Nancy Baggett May 7, 2012 at 8:52 am

The pics look yummy—very nice post. Hope you’re doing well.

Irvin May 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thanks Nancy! I’m doing well. Hope you are too. I can’t wait for your cookie book to come out. The cover looks scrumptious.

Jenni May 7, 2012 at 11:26 am

I love 2 things about this: 1)that it’s a pie and not a tart–much more American, but more importantly, Deeper which equals more goodness per bite. and 2)the addition of the booze. Not only is it a very American add, I’m sure it also brings out some lovely alcohol-soluble flavors in the almond cream and the pears. Lovely!

mary fran | frannycakes May 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm

We are thinking alike today! I also made a frangipane tart this weekend :)

Looks lovely as usual!

baker in disguise May 8, 2012 at 2:35 am

hmmmm… very nice… i like the addition of southern comfort.. i am thinking the same pie.. but different fruit.. maybe figs!! sounds good?????

thelittleloaf May 8, 2012 at 5:23 am

I always think Southern Comfort is too sickly sweet to drink but can imagine it works wonderfully in pie form! Love the combination with pears and almonds – yum.

Brian @ A Thought For Food May 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Ha! That “WTF” picture is amazing. I’ve always loved the idea of this pie and pie party… so freakin’ clever! And, of course, I am thrilled that you boozed this bad boy up!

Looking forward to seeing you next week!

Annie May 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I LOVE that you used almond meal instead of almond paste or something I never have on hand. TJ’s carries almond meal and I have some! This is so doable. And it looks so delicious. Yum.

brandi May 9, 2012 at 8:29 am

This is gorgeous. I am finally coming out of lurking around here :)

It was so fantastic to really get to chat with you last week – can’t wait to see you next month!!

Mike May 16, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thanks for this great post. As a born northerner and the “token yankee” among by business partners, I am still amazed by the variations of Southern pies. The South wins (this one ;-) hands down. You guys may be interested in this post: http://www.bourbonandboots.com/top-ten-southern-pies-and-cobblers/
Is Pecan your number one?