A Decorative Sugar Bowl and my two year blog-o-versary

by Irvin on March 15, 2012 · 34 comments

Decorative-Sugar-Bowl-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-5-lead

A decorative sugar bowl for my 2nd Blog-o-versary.

It’s my blog-o-versary today. Eat the Love turns two years old. It seems like yesterday that I was just tentatively clicking that “publish” button and then waiting for what ended up being the deafening silence of no one reading it. Undeterred, I soldiered on with the blog, and who would have thought that my life would have changed as much as it has in the two years since. Eat the Love pushed me out of my comfort zone both in the kitchen and in real life. It lead me to enter (and win) baking contests, something I never thought to do. It made me realize it was time for me to quit my day job and see what else the world held for me, outside a corporate desk job. I found myself becoming friends with people who I previously only admired or knew from their cookbooks or online presence. Soon, I was co-leading breakout sessions at food blogging conferences and co-hosting local quarterly dessert events at a non-profit community organization. And now I’m here, after two years, wondering where the next two years will lead me. Hopefully even greater things will happen, and I can’t wait to find out. In the meanwhile I wanted to make something special to celebrate my blog birthday. Of course, a birthday cake seemed appropriate but I’ll be making cake for the upcoming cake-themed DIY Desserts event at 18 Reasons this Sunday 2pm to 4pm (everyone in the SF bay area should come out and bring a cake or an empty stomach!) so I opted to do something else, something I’ve always wanted to make. I cooked me up A Decorative Sugar Bowl.

Decorative-Sugar-Bowl-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-4

I love that this bowl is edible.

I’ve wanted to pull sugar ever since I watched the movie Kings of Pastry, with members of the San Francisco baking group The Bakers’ Dozen. In the movie, French pastry chefs compete in the Meilleurs Ouvriers de France competition, which basically is the French Pastry Olympics. The chefs have to do a million different things over the course of the competition, but the most breathtaking and challenging is the pulled sugar sculptures that they have to create and then move to the display room. It’s a harrowing experience seeing them delicately carry their creations from the kitchen to the display room and let me tell you that the stress involved is nothing compared to the reality food television contests I’ve seen (or was nearly involved in, but that’s a story for another time).

I, of course, immediately declared it my life mission to do a pulled sugar sculpture, and then queried every food blogger I know that had gone to pastry school. All of them said that it was a pretty specialized thing, and there weren’t really any specific classes I could take in pulled sugar sculptures. Apparently only fancy pants pastry chefs do that sort of thing, for hotels and special occasion events. All the research I read (ie, Wikipedia) said that it took years to master the technique and it was a dying art as few people did it nowadays and there’s wasn’t much demand (though apparently there’s been a slight resurgence in interest in sugar sculptures because they are featured in some of the chef reality TV shows, so I guess they aren’t a complete waste of time). Even the Culinary Pastry textbooks I had scant information on it, with a mere two or three pages about how it can be done.

Decorative-Sugar-Bowl-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-7

Making the bowl was as easy as molding over another bowl.

Then, last year, I received a review copy of the awesome book Sugar Baby by Gesine Bullock-Prado. Those who have followed my blog saw that I included it in my round up of my favorite cookbooks from 2011. Though I’ve made a few things from the book, the decorative sugar bowl recipe has sitting in the back of my mind as something I’ve been wanting to make and just haven’t gotten around to. Turns out it’s not so hard as long as you aren’t scared of molten sugar. Melt the sugar with some corn syrup, pour it onto a prepped piece of parchment paper and drop some food color on it and once it’s cooled, drape it over a heatproof bowl. Suddenly you have an edible sugar bowl, perfect for any occasion, like St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, or, you know, my blog-o-versary. Happy two years Eat the Love. May there be many many more.

Decorative-Sugar-Bowl-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-8

This sugar bowl is great for sugary treats, or other items, like Easter eggs.

Join me at 18 Reasons for the upcoming DIY Dessert event on Sunday afternoon, March 18, 2012 from 2pm to 4pm. The theme is cakes so bring a cake of some sort, whether it’s big towering layer cakes, cupcakes, tea cakes, bundt cakes, coffee cakes, sheet cakes, even cheesecakes, mooncakes, and fruitcakes. Whatever your fancy! Or come with an empty stomach and sweet tooth to eat some cakes. Either way, hope to see you there.

Special thanks to Stewart, Tabori & Chang publishing for sending me a review copy of Sugarbaby by Gesine Bullock Prado. I was not compensated for the above post, and all opinions are my own.

Shawn March 15, 2012 at 5:38 am

Congratulations on your Blog-o-versary and on creating such a beautiful piece of edible art!

Gail March 15, 2012 at 6:24 am

Irvin, you did a fabulous job! I love poured sugar like that…so pretty and so decorative.
But, the angst….THE ANGST!

Lori @ RecipeGirl March 15, 2012 at 6:32 am

I’m absolutely shocked that this thing is edible?!?! That’s just crazy talent to be able to make something like this! I bow to you :) congrats on two blissfully happy years in this dreamy field of food that we love. Happy to have you as part of our wonderful community!

Irvin March 16, 2012 at 1:17 pm

And I’m thrilled to be part of the community…

Maria March 15, 2012 at 6:32 am

Congrats and wow! That sugar bowl is gorgeous!

Laura@MotherWouldKnow March 15, 2012 at 6:35 am

Gorgeous. I can’t see myself making one, but sounds like you had some serious fun – and I’m glad to be in be the “admiring fan” on this escapade.

Brian @ A Thought For Food March 15, 2012 at 6:57 am

Happy blog anniversary, my friend!!! You know I love ya! And this bowl… stunning!

Joan Nova March 15, 2012 at 6:57 am

Amazing… a true work of art! Happy Anniversary.

Windy March 15, 2012 at 8:12 am

Happy Blogiversary. That is truly beautiful, you should feel like a food art rock star.

Lora March 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

I’ve been dying to try this recipe from Gesine’s book. You bowl came out gorgeous!

Lisa March 15, 2012 at 9:28 am

This is just gorgeous. It is a work of art.

Lynn at Order in the Kitchen March 15, 2012 at 10:07 am

Happy blogiversary Irvin! That bowl is unbelievable!!! Stunningly gorgeous!

Belinda @zomppa March 15, 2012 at 10:49 am

You are SO BADASS. This is AWESOME! I don’t know whether I want to display in in a glass case or lick it…. Happy anniversary, dear!

Brian March 15, 2012 at 11:42 am

Congrats on two years. . . I, myself, am just hitting two months. . .ah the excitement and anxiety!

Cooks_Books March 15, 2012 at 11:43 am

Amazing! I just pinned this on my “Food I Wish I Could Make” Pinterest board. Both your food and your blog are inspirational. Thanks!

Pat March 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

You continue to amaze and delight us. Welcome to the Terrible Twos — which for you should mean some sassy baking.

Irvin March 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I can’t wait! I feel like my blog is a toddler just starting to walk. I can’t wait for it to take off and start running…

The Suzzzz March 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

My grandma Toni would make this as a holder for her hand dipped chocolates that she would give out to friends and neighbors at Thanksgiving. After she passed away my mom and aunt still did the chocolates but they thought the bowls were too much work so they folded oragami boxes instead. I’m going to have to try this.

Irvin March 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Wow! Your grandma is awesome. I wish I was her neighbor.

Of course, origami boxes of chocolates aren’t a bad gift either. Well, really chocolate of any sort is a welcome gift in my household…

Dina Avila March 15, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Wow! How impressively cool! Congratulations on your two years, Irvin! I’m so glad we’ve gotten to know each other, albeit over the ethernet. I consider you a true twitter/foodie friend in arms :) Next time in in San Francisco, I’m coming your way!

Irvin March 16, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Please do! I’d love to meet IRL and show you around SF.

Dina Avila April 2, 2012 at 8:08 pm

That would be awesome! It’s changed sooo much since I lived the Bay Area, I seriously feel like I need a tour guide!

By the way, took me FOREVER to figure out what IRL meant. Sheesh…

Sabrina Modelle March 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

You, my friend, continue to amaze and delight me, as a cook, a blogger, and a friend. Amongst the millions of food blogs on the Internet, yours sparkles and shines (kind of like you).
Love you madly & happy blogday
X
Sabrina

Mrs. L March 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Happy Blogiversary! I’m so glad you hit “publish” two years ago because I so love reading your blog. Thanks for the two years of great posts, ideas and smiles and I’m looking forward to (you better!) many more years of you hitting “publish”.

thelittleloaf March 16, 2012 at 2:29 am

This is simply stunning! And a wonderful way to celebrate 2 years of blogging. Am in complete awe of your recipes and writing – keep up the good work!

Javelin Warrior March 16, 2012 at 6:53 am

Happy Blog Birthday and what a creative way to celebrate – I’ve never seen a bowl made from sugar before and love the concept… I’m new to following your blog, but it’s a pleasure and I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections.

sippitysup March 16, 2012 at 9:01 am

I misread this and thought you were decorating for the super bowl post fact! GREG

joann March 16, 2012 at 10:42 am

Irvin,
this is awesome!!!! I did some spun sugar and wow….I spun it all over the kitchen. Thank goodness it cleans up easily!!

GORGEOUS!

Happy Anniversary!

Ryan March 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Congrats on your Blog-o-versary!

I will absolutely add this to my list of many, many food projects from your blog to try. Do you think it would work to pour, say, 2/3 of the sugar, and swirl in the food color, then pour the rest over the top and avoid the food coloring transfer issue?

Irvin March 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thanks Ryan!

It might work. The problem might be that by the time you added the food coloring and swirled, the remaining 1/3 sugar might have cooled too much to pour properly. You might have to reheat it to make it more fluid, but then you have a chance to scorching the sugar and turning it into caramel.

But I like your thinking! If I were to make this again for a longer lasting period of time (in less humid weather) I might play around with this. Let me know if try this method and how it turns out!

Jonathan March 17, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Congratulations on 2 magnificent years, Irvin! You and your blog are an inspiration to so many people, myself included, and as exciting and rewarding as it has been to reach this moment in your life journey, it is also gratifying to those of us who are rooting for your continued success. Here’s to many more years to come…

Rachel Jane March 18, 2012 at 2:40 am

Happy Two Years! This is quite the project for an anniversary post. Despite all the lack of information, I’m glad you took the plunge to make it. It looks quite intricate and might just come in handy one day when I am trying to impress someone!
btw: Its your wit and honest writing that keeps me coming back! Looking forward to the next few years!

Janeen March 28, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Happy belated two years! I greatly enjoy following your adventures and recipes. I hope you are around for many years to come!

merri April 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

beautiful!! and congrats on the anniversary!