Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Tart

by Irvin on January 19, 2012 · 27 comments

Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Tart by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. | www.eatthelove.com

I’ve been meaning to post about my pomegranate dark chocolate tart for ages, especially after Saveur Magazine picked me as their Site We Love and mentioned it in their post. A few people asked me about it, but I just haven’t had a chance to write it up yet. I created it a couple of years for one of my annual holiday parties and it’s one of those last minute desserts that I threw together. I was at Trader Joe’s buying supplies and as I navigated my increasingly full cart through the crowds, I walked by the produce section one more time and saw pomegranate seeds, clean and deseeded from their fruit all shiny and ready to use. I knew I had to make something with them. Which is how I ended up making my Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Tart. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Pomegranate-Dark-Chocolate-Tart-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-2

Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Tart

I’m not usually one buy packaged prepared ingredients. There’s something nice about taking a whole ingredient and slicing, dicing or cutting it up. I scoff at the pre-sliced mushrooms, shrug my shoulders at the jarred minced garlic and dismiss the chopped onions that I find on the shelves. If I’m in the mood to cook I want to cook from scratch, with the prepping and chopping becoming a meditative event. Chefs sometimes call it deep prepping and I can fall into a zen like state doing it, peaceful and meditative as the raw ingredients slowly reduce into components for the dish. But when I’m baking and creating a dessert buffet for 100+ people with twenty-five different desserts, shortcuts don’t seem as much an issue with me. And glittering shiny pomengranate seeds? How could I turn those down?

So I bought them, unsure what I was going to do, until I realized that I had recently been sent some POM Wonderful brand pomegranate juice to play with. They had contacted me soon after BlogHer Food 2010 and asked me if they could send me some juice to experiment with in the kitchen. I told them to send me a few bottles if they want, and a couple of weeks later, I had six bottles in my fridge waiting for me to use.

Pomegranate-Dark-Chocolate-Tart-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-5

I didn't even have a chance to eat a slice at my last party, it was snatched up so fast.

Coming up with the tart was easy-peasy after that. The only extra step in the process is making the pomegranate molasses. You can buy it from specialty stores, but if you have pomegranate juice around, it’s easy to make. My friend Kamran over at The Kitchen Generation has a great tutorial on deseeding pomegranates without getting the red juice all over yourself, it’s how I deseed pomegranates (which is normally what I do when I’m not cranking out desserts). Feel free to cheat and buy the seeds already pulled from the fruit. I won’t tell.

[special thanks goes to POM Wonderful for providing me samples of pomegranate juice to play with in the kitchen]

Lynn Lovejoy from Order in the Kitchen January 19, 2012 at 7:49 am

oh Irvin this just looks spectacular! I am definitely going to pin this as something to try! I love love love pomegranate…and who doesn’t love chocolate! perfect :)

Culinary Collage January 19, 2012 at 7:56 am

This is such a pretty dessert! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Priyanka January 19, 2012 at 9:13 am

A very beautiful dessert. Thanks for the upload

Jessica January 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

I want to shove my face directly in the center of all that goodness!

…that’s totally not weird right?

Deanna B January 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

That is another stunning dessert. Pomegranate molasses is one of my favorite ingredients. I make a ton of it and freeze it. So good with lamb, and it sounds delicious with chocolate.

Ileana January 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

This is absolutely beautiful!

Kelly @ EvilShenanigans January 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm

It is not a shock you did not get any photos of the sliced tart. I bet it was AMAZING!

Pat January 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm

This is a very sexy dessert and one that should be trotted out on February 14!

Stella January 19, 2012 at 1:11 pm

That looks like a texturegasm. Not to mention festive enough for pretty much any holiday or celebration from Thanksgiving through Valentine’s Day. Well played, sir.

Brianne January 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Wow, Irvin…this sounds divine! I definitely agree with you on the zen factor of putting raw ingredients together to make a dish. I’m curious about the addition of teff flour to your chocolate tart dough. What benefit does that have? Thanks!

Irvin January 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Good question! I love using teff flour with chocolate. Not only is the flour itself dark brown (which helps make the final product look more chocolately) but it lends a malty sweetness nutty depth to the baked good. As an added bonus, the teff is a powerhouse of nutrients, more so than regular wheat flour (so I can totally self-justify this tart as being “healthy” as it has the health benefits of chocolate, teff, and pomegranates. Ha!).

That said, the tart crust itself is wonderful just made completely with all purpose flour so if you don’t have teff, feel free to substitute.

Jekka January 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Irvin, I cannot wait to make this! Thanks for another gorgeous post.

a matter of taste January 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm

that looks awesome!

Jonathan January 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Thank you for sharing this post, Irvin. I, too, occupy that DIY/kitchen=sanctuary boat. But like you said, when demands on our time exceed the supply, there’s no shame in making it work by purchasing pre-packaged, already prepped ingredients. I’ve been meaning to make my way back to pies and tarts as my next baking conquest. This recipe sounds wonderful – just the nudge I needed. :)

Jay @ LocalFood.me January 20, 2012 at 5:18 am

Looks amazing! We had extra pomegranates in our weekly fruit delivery at work, and I had no idea what to do with them. This would have been perfect! (Next time.) Congrats on the Saveur feature. Well deserved.

Graceful Cuisine January 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Brilliant!! I have never seen pomegranate incorporated into a cake quite like this! Absolutely must be made with love since there’s a lot of work involved when cooking with pomegranate. I know what you mean by being in a zen state when preparing. :)

Diane Corriette January 22, 2012 at 4:27 am

This looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it out myself

Jean | Delightful Repast January 24, 2012 at 6:22 am

Irvin, I’m always looking for new ways to use pomegranate but had never thought to use it to decorate a chocolate tart. It’s not only beautiful to look at (and very festive looking), it’s a textural sensation! I can just feel the snap of the pomegranate mingling with the smoothness of the chocolate filling.

Barbara February 28, 2012 at 3:23 am

I’m just making the crust and I clearly made a mistake. When you said ‘substitute 105 g (3/4 cup) of all purpose flour in its place’ does this mean that if I am just using all purpose flour I should add the teff substitute (105g) to the 140g of apf already in the recipe or do you mean I would use a TOTAL of 105 all purpose flour? Also, in the ingredient listing it says ’1 large egg yolks, cold’ but in the instructions you refer to ‘both’ egg yolks. Is the 1 supposed to be a 2 in the ingredient listing? Please help asap as I am in the middle of preparing so I can make it for tonight! THANKS.

Irvin February 28, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Hi Barbara. I’m SO sorry! I’m not sure what happened when I wrote the recipe wrong.

You should substitute 55 g (or 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) of all purpose flour for the teff flour only. Bringing the total all purpose flour to 195 g (1 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons) of all purpose flour. And use only one egg yolk.

I apologize again. Hope it turns out ok for tonight!

Barbara February 29, 2012 at 1:31 am

It turned out fabulous, if not a bit differently than perhaps yours! I’m looking forward to trying again and this time I’ll stick closer to your crust recipe. The combination of the burst of pomegranate crunchiness on top of the incredibly smooth deep ganache was fabulous. My molasses was just a hint on the other side of burnt, but I’ll fix that next time! As a great baker friend of mine says – In baking, there are no mistakes, only food you eat in private!

merri March 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

yum i loved this at your party! so good!

cold calls January 29, 2013 at 8:02 am

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed
and I hope you write again very soon!

cold calling people February 5, 2013 at 5:06 am

Hiya! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a
theme or plugin that might be able to resolve this
problem. If you have any suggestions, please share. With thanks!

party powder uk June 26, 2013 at 3:10 pm

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve
done a formidable job and our entire community will be grateful to you.

best vines compilation December 10, 2013 at 7:30 am

Hello to all, since I am genuinely keen of reading this weblog’s post to be updated daily.
It includes nice data.

russia car crash March 15, 2014 at 7:45 am

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I
definitely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great
author. I will always bookmark your blog and will eventually come back in the foreseeable future.
I want to encourage one to continue your great work,
have a nice holiday weekend!