Apple Brown Butter Bay Leaf Spice Cookies for the Gluten Free Ratio Rally

by Irvin on December 7, 2011 · 16 comments

It’s been a bit of a stressful time for me lately. I won’t go into the details as that’s a post for another time, but thankfully I had plenty of excuses to bake, which is what calms me down the most. A quick look at the calendar and I realized that it was time for the Gluten Free Ratio Rally, and that meant I could whip up some of these: Apple Brown Butter Bay Leaf Spice Cookies.

Apple-Spice-Cookies-Gluten-Free-Ratio-Rally-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-2

Apple Brown Butter Bay Leaf Spice Cookies

I’m not sure how the Gluten Free Ratio Rally sneaks up on me every month, but it does. Thankfully I took a look at the calendar BEFORE today and realized it was NOW and that the topic was cookies! A virtual cookie swap for the holidays in fact. Of course, with December here, that means an overload of cookies. In fact, I’ve already been to two holiday cookie swaps and we aren’t even halfway through the month. But a quick look at my calendar and I realize that the holiday season will fly by pretty darn fast. It’s what always happens during this time of year, as I end up trying to do too many things in too short a time. Thankfully making cookies is a way of slowing things down for me, where I can take it easy and just meditatively spoon out the dough, and fill the entire kitchen (and apartment) with the scent of fresh baked goodness.

Truth be told, even with those two holiday cookie swaps, it hasn’t felt like the holidays for me yet. This will all change, I’m hoping, when we get our tree and decorate it. In the meanwhile, I look at other people’s blogs, facebook posts, tweets and google+ photos of gorgeous snow filled fields and I realize I do miss the magic of the first snowfall, back when I lived in the Midwest. It’s a silence that only comes with snow and peaceful wintertime. Perhaps that’s what I need to truly put me in the holiday spirit.

Apple-Spice-Cookies-Gluten-Free-Ratio-Rally-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-1

These cookies smell like the holidays.

But I’m unlikely to get any of that here in San Francisco. Then I made these cookies, these spiced filled aromatic cookies, and then I felt it. Christmas was here. Tonight AJ and I will decorate our tree together, and I’ll start listening to Christmas music nonstop. I’ll put the cheesy fireplace DVD on the TV and all of sudden, magically, it will feel like Christmas. It’s what always happens each year. Thankfully, these cookies gave me a jumpstart to the season.

GLUTEN-FREE RATIO RALLY

This month’s Gluten Free Ratio Rally is hosted by Caroline over at the G-Spot Revolution. Bounce on over there to check out all the other awesome Gluten Free cookie recipes.

Belinda @zomppa December 7, 2011 at 5:48 am

Hope you are doing OK! But I see good is coming out stress – these look lovely!

Rachel @ The Crispy Cook December 7, 2011 at 6:46 am

The bay leaf sounds really intriguing. Love this recipe.

Peter Bronski December 7, 2011 at 6:50 am

Well done! These look great.

Cheers, Pete

Erin Swing December 7, 2011 at 7:44 am

Mr. JackHonky – You never cease to amaze me with your favor combos. Amazing! I. must. try. one. now! Merry Christmas!

Lisa @ GF Canteen December 7, 2011 at 8:17 am

All those apple and spices must smell like the holiday. Delicious! Big hugs to you, Irvin and hope the tree helped make it feel like the holidays. It does seem like it rushed right up this year – wasn’t it just August?!

Tara December 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

I can’t imagine Christmas without winter as I know it. We don’t always have snow, but it’s always cold, which makes all the warm spices/hot cocoa/wood fires feel appropriate. This year, although Maine has already seen two preseason snowstorms, our house has been consistently passed by. It’s downright balmy (I don’t even have to turn the heat on some days!) and when everyone else gets snow, we get rain. It’s making it hard for me to really believe the holidays are almost here. So much so that, although we got our tree put up on Sunday, we’re taking our sweet time getting all the ornaments on it – it just doesn’t feel urgent for some reason! Anyway, you’re right, this month’s Rally has been a great way to kick off the holiday baking season. I hope you and AJ have succeeded in filling your home with Christmas spirit! (Which might also help ease some of your stress?) Your cookies are irresistible. I wish this had been an actual cookie swap. :)

Jenn December 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm

The cookies look awesome Irvin – and such a great flavor set too! Lovely job :)

Karen Robertson December 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I absolutely love how someone who doesn’t have to eat gluten free hits the mark on all points with a great gluten free cookie. Wish you lived down the street from me!

Morri December 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm

What an amazing combination of flavors. Bay leaf in a cookie? Brilliant!!

Jonathan December 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Hope you’re listening to a lot of Dean Martin about now. :) These cookies look wonderful and like something I would love to share with my family when they come down to visit this weekend. Thank you, as always, for sharing, Irvin.

“Silence is a source of great strength.” – Lao Tzu

gretchen December 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm

as always, YUM!

Adrian December 8, 2011 at 7:46 am

I feel you on the stress side Irvin! I think one of the keys to managing that is knowing what de-stresses you. Baking? Hell ya. What a great de-stresser! Wish we were there to participate in these lovely get togethers! Someday maybe…

charissa (zest bakery) December 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Hugs to you my friend!

The bay leaf reminds me of my neighbor who put a bunch of eucalyptus leaves in her oven to dry them out for christmas pot pouri… and promptly forgot about them. Until her husband mentioned how it REALLY smelled like christmas.

But these cookies look all the right kinds of chewy and soft and delicious and I’m sure they do taste like christmas. Dunk one in a glass of milk for me!

shauna December 8, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Good god. I’m sorry you’re stressed out (let’s talk!) but if that stress produced these? Bring on the stress! Actually, why don’t you fly up here with some and we can talk and talk and make you feel better.

Caneel December 9, 2011 at 7:50 am

Wow. These look so delicious and chewy. I want to reach right into the photos and grab one! You’re not alone in the stress and needing a few kicks of something to get into the holiday mood this year – I’m starting to get there, though!

Rachel-Ann December 14, 2011 at 7:04 am

Made these lovely cookies for a second time this morning… they turned out so LOVELY!