Guilt Free Graham Crackers with whole grain unprocessed ingredients

by Irvin on April 21, 2011 · 13 comments

Homemade Graham Crackers by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Growing up, my partner AJ had a mild obsession with graham crackers. Well, specifically graham cracker dipped in chocolate frosting. It was a snack that his mother seemed to encourage and I can only mentally picture a child AJ taking the brown crumbly cracker and scooping and smearing generous dollops of frosting from a betty crocker plastic tub as he stuffs it into his mouth with gusto. I know that I probably would have if I were a child, allowed to do such a thing. So when our eleventh anniversary came around this year, we had an unspoken agreement to not get each other presents this year. Instead I went into the kitchen to create something from his childhood, only better. The guilt free homemade unprocessed graham cracker.

Graham Crackers

In truth we had pretty much ignored our anniversary this year. It fell in the middle of the week, things have been hectic in both our lives and the majority of the day was spent with my brother, sister and niece for personal reasons that I won’t go into right now. Sufficient to say, other than a quick “happy anniversary” we didn’t really celebrate it the way we have celebrated special dates in the past.

AJ in his Pepsi Suit

But with all the stress that has come into my life recently I realized that I really needed to get back into the kitchen. It’s one of those things that calms me. I haven’t really been baking too much lately, what with a trip to the Midwest and then the catching up with work and then the additional family stuff going down. All the while, I thought to myself, I really wish I could be baking.

Baking is where I center myself. It’s where I find myself going when things are tough and I need to calm myself. And it’s been awhile since I’ve baked something less fussy, more down home. You can’t feel guilty about graham crackers. They are wholesome goodness.

Graham Crackers

And these graham crackers are even better. I asked AJ what he thought of the crackers and if they lived up to his memory of his childhood ones, and he matter of factly said, “They do. But these taste way better.” Perhaps it’s because I left out the refined sugars and made them sucanat, which is evaporated cane juice, as well as various whole grains like graham wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, teff and buckwheat. Add a little honey and spices and you have yourself a guilt free graham cracker. Just hold the frosting.

Happy Anniversary AJ. I love you.

AJ eating Graham Crackers

Rosa April 21, 2011 at 5:37 am

What a lovely post! That is one wonderful regressive gift. I’m sure AJ loved those Graham Crackers.

Congrats on your anniversary!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jim T April 21, 2011 at 6:20 am

These do look homegrown and heartwarming. Love the story as well; I used to eat graham crackers with peanut butter as a kid, so I can definitely attest to that connection to childhood.

Congratulations on another anniversary! Hugs – Jim

Kendra Holliday April 21, 2011 at 11:43 am

SO sweet. But want choc frosting! Not easily distracted by wholesomeness.

Brian @ A Thought For Food April 21, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Love the pictures of AJ! And what a lovely post… wonderful recipe!

Dawn (KitchenTravels) April 21, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Happy Anniversary! I’ve been wanting to bake homemade grahams for a while now. Need to get off my patootie and whip some up, because seriously? These would be AWESOME with my homemade marshmallows and some dark choc.

Heidi @ Food Doodles April 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Yum, those look so good. Love all the different grains in them :)

Happy anniversary!

Pat April 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm

What a perfect gift. Happy Anniversary, you two, and many more. I teared up a little as I read your post.

Lisa @ GF Canteen April 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm

those are really pretty! what a nice present – baking is all about the love. happy anniversary!

Annelies April 22, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Eleven years! Love homemade gifts of the kitchen from childhood. Love.

laura April 22, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I love homemade grahams. I’m pretty sure I’d need to bake a quad batch to get through a week around here! My boys are eaters. Happy happy life together, and many loving years to come.

I uh had those treats as a child too, best snack EVER.

Emmie April 23, 2011 at 2:00 am

Happy Anniversary!!! I hope that AJ put on his poncho for you, in celebration.

It’s really intriguing that baking is what centers/calms you. Hiking/being out in nature does that for me. Do you prefer baking over retreats/skiing/nature time, etc?

I had no idea that graham crackers could be made from scratch. I thought that they were just things you smash in order to get a crust for cheesecake. And that is why YOU are writing the food blog, and I am trolling your blog at 2 am after eating granola bars for dinner.

Patty April 23, 2011 at 8:59 am

¡feliz aniversario!
lovely graham crackers too – yum : )

Lisa T April 23, 2011 at 11:38 am

Oh, that is such a sweet gift and those crackers look delicious. My husband loves graham crackers, I’ve got to make these for him!