Lemon Ginger Bars on Salted Shortbread with Meringue Topping

by Irvin on March 21, 2011 · 28 comments

March is about the time when you start to get tired of winter. It’s been a long hard cold series of months and you just start to get a vision of something fresh and bright coming around the corner. Spring is nearly here, peaking it’s warm shiny face from under the snowy blanket, but it’s not quite here yet. You can tell the warmth is struggling to arrive. And that’s when I like to make lemon bars. Specifically these lemon ginger bars on salted shortbread with meringue topping.

Lemon Ginger Bars on Salted Shortbread with Meringue

Now these are your lemon bars brought to the next level. I made them back in December, for my dessert party and in truth, because lemon is in season all year round, they are season-less. You can make them in the wintertime when you are looking for a bright spot of fruit in a season full of gingerbread and chocolate. You can make them in the fall when the leaves are changing and you want a change of pace from cinnamon or pumpkin. You can make them in the summertime, chilled when you want something cool, biting and refreshing after a warm day lazing about in the sun, when it’s too hot to do anything else. Think portable lemonade in bar form.

lemon ginger bars on salted shortbread with meringue topping

Or you can make them now, with spring just around the corner, almost here but not quite. When the only fruit that has been season for awhile is citrus and you are beginning to get tired of it. Because these lemon bars, they’ll remind you that not all citrus desserts and snacks are the same. Some are cloyingly sweet, some too tart, and some like these, are fresh and smart, like the sassy girl next door that you had a crush on.

sassy citrus fruit Sassy citrus fruit ready for the taking.

Well some of you had a crush on that girl. I had a crush on the nerdy boy down the street. But that’s neither here nor there.

But oh these lemon ginger bars. An amalgam of numerous recipes, they look fancy with a capital cursive F, but deep down, they are as basic and comforting as the corner coffee shop, open 24 hours with, complete with the checkerboard tablecloth and the waitress with the beehive blue hair. I invite you to pull up a seat, order a cup of joe, flirt with that sassy girl two tables over (or in my case the nerdy boy) and try these bars. You won’t regret it.

Ginger Lemon Bars on Salted Shortbread with Meringue

Nisrine M. March 21, 2011 at 5:34 am

Very nice twist on lemon meringue pie. It looks fantastic!

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:38 am

Thank you! It’s like a mini lemon meringue pie in your hand.

Belinda @zomppa March 21, 2011 at 5:49 am

Sounds like it would be fun afternoon. =) These are delightful – citrus is always just a happy food. And it’s FINALLY getting warm!

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:40 am

Citrus is DEFINITELY happy food. And the weather keeps on teasing me, one day it’s warm, the next day cold again. But slowly it’s getting warmer…

S. B. Hadley Wilson March 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

The photos are gorge, as always, but what I particularly enjoyed about this post was how you described it in various settings to showcase its versatility.

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:41 am

Why thank you Hadley! I was fearful I went overboard with that paragraph but I’m pleased someone appreciated it.

merri March 21, 2011 at 11:07 am

ooh those were my favorite dessert at the dessert party! i have to remember to make these, once i can. that might be a while though, as i dont want to make the whole dessert just for myself. id go into a coma lol.

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:42 am

Yay! You should just make them and then bring them to work or give them to your friends. Who knows how long Jesse will be on his no sugar kick…

merri March 23, 2011 at 8:06 am

ya..im gonna stick with it for the original time, which is only a couple weeks away when i go to palm springs…i dont think its doing anything but since im gonna be in bikinis & underwear party etc then i might as well take all the help i can get! after that, we’ll see…

Heather at FarmgirlGourmet March 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm

OMG Irvin – that looks DEVINE! I’m the only one in the house that likes lemon so this would be a fabulous “more for me” recipe. :) Yum!!!!!!

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:43 am

What? People in your household don’t like lemon? Crazy talk! Well more for you. Definitely. Though I’m sure you have friends who you could share these with…

kimberly March 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I am so excited to try this! I adore citrus and this looks absolutely divine!

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:43 am

Thanks Kimberly! Let me know how you like them when you make them.

Stevie March 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm

These look like lemon bar rock-stars! Wow. I wish that I had one, or two or perhaps more… right in front of me this second. They wouldn’t last.

Hope you caught the boy-next-door.

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:50 am

Thanks Stevie! I love the idea of these lemon bars being rock stars.

And yes, I finally caught the nerdy boy-next-door. His name is AJ and he’s adorable. ;)

faith March 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm

OMGOSH! I am so utterly inspired now!!! I am thinking dark chocolate shortbread with a white chocolate ganache and meringue…like a chocolate cream pie!!!! Although I do love lemon…. ;) Thank You for the inspiration!!!!!

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:51 am

Those do sound fantastic! I so pleased that I inspired you. You can’t go wrong with chocolate, and double chocolate sounds pretty awesome.

Brian @ A Thought For Food March 22, 2011 at 10:25 am

I really must get my hands on the Tartine Cookbook… it’s on my list. Because Tartine is my idea of heaven… and these lemon bars with the meringue topping look like little puffy clouds up in the sky.

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:53 am

You must must must get the Tartine Cookbook! It’s totally solid, as I have yet to make a recipe out of there that hasn’t been beautiful.

Though I will say I’m rather lazy and have yet to attempt their croissants. Since I live two blocks away from there, I just walk down the street to get them. Next time you’re in San Francisco, we’ll go there together!

Lisa T March 22, 2011 at 10:38 am

At the moment Irvin, I’m crushing on you! (Don’t tell my husband or AJ! ) You had me at “March is about the time when you start to get tired of winter. Where I live, in the Sierras? It is snowing today, again. And I am so very ready for spring.

Wow. Those lemon bars look amazing. And I love how you described them fitting in each season. They are definitely going on my list of “must make” recipes.

I found your blog through Shauna at Gluten-free Girl and The Chef. Their Valentine’s Day post sent me over. Since then? I’ve been coming here almost daily and I even went back and read everything you have posted to date. Hopefully that sounds like a loyal fan and not too stalker-ish. Because I am. A fan. Your stories make me smile and laugh and your food makes me hungry!

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:55 am

Aww! I love that you are crushing on me. Shauna’s the best isn’t she? I’m so pleased you bounced over here and found me! Your comment totally made my day.

And if you do make these, let me know what you think of them. I always love getting feedback from readers when they make my recipes.

Jim T March 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

These do look absolutely gorgeous, Irvin, and all I was wondering was ‘how does he keep them from looking like a meringue massacre when serving them?’ and then you answered my question. Very very smart idea to cut them first and then apply the fluffy meringue.

And I’m giggling a little at Lisa T above; I felt the same way. I came across your blog about a week or so ago after a link from Steamy Kitchen and fell head over heels with the fresh smart takes you’re doing with desserts. Keep up the amazing work. “I’m your Number One Fan” (sorry I had to do that. I love Mrs Kathy Bates).

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:57 am

Yay! Jaden is also awesome. I met her back in October and she’s super sweet. I’m pleased you stuck around and looked around my site.

Just, um, don’t take a sledgehammer to my feet or anything. *nervously looking around* ;)

Felisa March 22, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Mmmm…lemon bars. I LURVE lemon.

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:57 am

I know you do!

Charissa March 22, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Wow, I love lemon so much. So tangy.

Irvin March 23, 2011 at 1:58 am

Aren’t they? Totally fresh and tangy. The touch of ginger gives is a nice sassy kick too.

Emmie April 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm

YYUMMMMMMMMMMMM. Lemon in baked goods is the best. Right now I’m doing some reading about lemons and limes . .. do you favor one over the other?

I have a shockingly bad memory, but I am really confused as to why I don’t remember these lemon bars at your dessert party. They must have been gone by the time I got there.