I’m FAT! Vegan Banana Bread – which is what you bake when someone is complaining about their weight

by Irvin on March 19, 2010 · 10 comments

Vegan Banana Bread by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

“I’m FAT!”

This was what I kept on hearing from my partner as I started this blog about baking. Which, of course, probably wasn’t the best thing for me to hear as I decided that I wanted to bake more. A lot more. Forget that he exercises way more than I do (which, granted is probably not difficult as I go to the gym three times a year, but still – he’s usually on his bike at least once or twice a week and at the gym a couple times a week).

Forget that he actually does the AIDS Lifecycle each year, riding over 545 miles from San Francisco to LA. Forget that we had just gone skiing the week before, where he kicked my butt down the slopes. Or perhaps it was the slopes that kicked my butt. Either way I was sore for a week afterwards. I heard nary a complaint from him about the slopes.

“I’m FAT!” is what I heard again and again. What am I going to do with a partner who complains about being fat (when CLEARLY he isn’t) especially as I plan on ramping up my baking?

Let me be clear, he’s been super uber CRAZY supportive of me starting this blog and baking more. After all, he gets the benefit of me keeping myself busy with whatever crazy new recipe I decided I want to come up with, while he’s off doing whatever he’s doing (usually photographing, sorting his photographs, or post-processing the photographs, oh yeah and grading papers). But I’m sure deep down he wasn’t thrilled with the prospect of me baking food to tempt him. Because, as he often says, he exercises self control at the grocery story. NOT at home.

Slight aside. I’m not allowed to buy ice cream that he likes. I can only buy flavors that he doesn’t like or he will eat it. Which is fine as I have a fondness for mint chocolate chip (which he doesn’t care), mint cookies and cream (which again, he doesn’t care for) and honey lavender from our local ice creamery Bi-Rite (which he claims, tastes like soap, but I love). However if I ever buy Bi-Rite’s Salted Caramel ice cream, it’s gone in a day. So I don’t.

“I’m FAT!” Only one post into my blog, and I started to get self-conscious about what I’m going to bake next.

And then I’m at work. Digging around in the refrigerator, trying to find my Kombuchi (another thing I love but he hates. What does he have against sour pro-biotic slightly carbonated, possibly alcoholic health drinks?). And my eyes land on the browning bananas on the counter that will soon be composted.

That’s it. I know what I’m going bake next. Rescuing them from the compost bin, I decide that I will make some banana bread. But not just any banana bread…a healthy banana bread. Not that Banana Bread isn’t healthy (it’s made of bananas for goodness sake!). But I’m going to up the health factor in this one. And just for kicks, I’m going to make it vegan friendly too. Because vegan baking has always intrigued me. Sure, it’s easy to substitute for the butter (just use a trans-free butter substitute like Earth Balance’s “Buttery Stick” or better yet, use virgin unrefined Coconut Oil) but how to solve for eggs?

Luckily, banana bread is the easiest thing to make vegan. A lot of banana bread recipes don’t even call for eggs. And many vegan baked good recipes actually tell you use bananas as a substitute for eggs. Why? Because bananas are goopy enough to bind the ingredients together as you bake, something that eggs usually does.

So there you go. Vegan Banana Bread. Extra healthy with all whole wheat and some flax seed thrown in as well, for all those significant others that claim to be fat when they really aren’t.

Note: Whilst baking, I was listening to Aimee Mann’s Bachelor No. 2 album, and James Yuill’s Turning Down Water for Air. I contemplated listening to Ani Difranco but then thought it would be too much of a cliché to listen to the bisexual punk folk icon while baking a vegan banana bread.

Rita March 23, 2010 at 1:50 am

AJ is so right about mint chocolate chip–and about lavender/soap! He and I have so much in common!

Which means I will love this banana bread.

I've also been feeling, erm, larger than usual, lately. "It's like we share the same brain."

Mr. Jackhonky March 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm

yes. but knowing you, you will put chocolate chips in the banana bread, thereby negating the healthy aspects, or at least leveling the playing field.

Jodie February 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm

What if he uses carob chips instead, with maybe a few dark chocolate chips? I did this recently and gave it to a family of “real” comfort foodies, and they never noticed a difference! LOL

Michael C. March 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Hey Irvin – what a fun blog! Glad you posted about this on your other blog. I particularly enjoy this post. I too often feel that "I'm fat" yet can't resist a good baked good. I hope you keep this in mind when experimenting with more baking. It's so hard to find baked goods that are good for you.

Mr. Jackhonky April 3, 2010 at 8:19 am

@Michael. Yay! Keep an eye out for some more "healthy" baked goods. I definitely have been baking with this in mind (though not completely. You have ot indulge every now and then!).

petoke April 7, 2010 at 4:15 am

I'm glad to hear about the healthy baked goods too. but my problem is not with the unhealthiness, it's the portion control. A loaf of baked sweet sits on the counter and waits for you to eat the entire thing.

To solve the "I'm fat!" problem, I suggest that AJ eat way too much of your baking one day, and then get sick, and then he’ll never want to eat your baking again. you’re welcome. please let me know if you need any more advice.

Ok, I have a reeeeally strange request for you. My last trip to Taiwan, I discovered THE MOST AMAZING BREAD, that was like half mochi/chewy/something, and half chewy bread. It was the best thing I've ever had in my life. And sadly, I can't remember the bakery name (Mr. Signeur of something like that), or the name of the baked good (Burnt Charcoal Bun or something like that).

The mochi was not separate from the bread. The whole thing was the same thing – super chewy chewy delicious. please let me know if you ever figure out how to make something like this. danke.

Jodie February 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Unfortunately, I don’t know of this bread, but I found something interesting for you:
“Vegetarian restaurants are commonplace with a wide variety of dishes, mainly due to the influence of Buddhism.
There is a type of outdoor barbecue called khòng-iô (焢窯). To barbecue in this manner, one first builds a hollow pyramid up with dirt clods. Next, charcoal or wood is burnt inside until the temperature inside the pyramid is very high (the dirt clods should be glowing red). The ingredients to be cooked, such as taro, yam, or chicken, are placed in cans, and the cans are placed inside the pyramid. Finally, the pyramid is toppled over the food until cooked.”
(read at: http://www.enotes.com/topic/Taiwanese_cuisine)
maybe this could be a start at finding your fascinating bread!

Jodie February 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm
Mr. Jackhonky April 9, 2010 at 7:36 am

@Petoke – I'll give that suggestion to AJ. I'm sure he'll appreciate you thinking of him.

Also. I'll get right on that mochi/bread thing right away. Right after I figure out how to make that concrete/cement banana pie that you raved about.

V April 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm

This recipe was fantastic! I made a few substitutions – I used oatmeal flour instead of the wheat. I love cardamom and added way too much. I should have stuck to the 1/4 tsp you recommended.