Apricot & Berry Cobbler

by Irvin on August 26, 2013 · 9 comments

Apricot and Berry Cobbler by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

I’m holding on to summer just a bit longer. As the days seem to be shortening a bit, as I start to see everyone on Facebook talking about their kids getting ready for school, and as I see the Asian pears and Gravenstein apples pop up at my local market I still refuse to believe that summer is ending. Perhaps it’s my love of Summer fruit but pies, buckles and crisps all seem to be better when there’s a plum, peach or berry in them. And nothing seems easier to make with summer fruit than a cobbler. Maybe that’s why I’m, still thinking about that Apricot & Berry Cobbler I whipped up for AJ’s family back in July.

Apricot and Berry Cobbler by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Cobblers, to me, mean comfort food. Simple to make (no fussy pie dough which seems to scare a lot of people) and made with ingredients you can usually find in most cupboards; something that was important as I was baking in AJ’s parent’s house and not my own home. I know I get a little fancy fancy here on the blog because I have access to all those crazy flours and ingredients (Mesquite flour! Coconut Palm Sugar! Arrowroot Starch!). But this summer trip had me I realize not everyone is as big a baking nerd as I am.

Apricot and Berry Cobbler by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Being on the road all this summer reminded me of all this. The few times I was able to bake on our road trip meant making food in other people’s kitchen. Kitchens not stocked with my ridiculous ingredients. That meant I was making food with what was available. Of course, a cobbler doesn’t require much. And it’s pretty much appreciated by all who can eat it.

Apricot and Berry Cobbler by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

If you haven’t guessed, I’ve still not completely accepting the fact that I’m not on the road traveling around the US. Summer may be over, but I’m already plotting where I’m going to go next, and how I’m going to get there. In the meanwhile, as I figure that all out, I’ll also think about the Apricot & Berry Cobbler, and wonder if I have time to make it one more time before the summer really ends.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 26, 2013 at 11:53 am

I’m seriously digging crisps and cobblers this summer. This recipe is awesome!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 26, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Yummy!! I’d take a bowl with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :D

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat August 26, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Gorgeous! I love a good cobbler. Whipped cream on mine, please!

Faye August 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm

There’s nothing more comforting than cobbler. Love the addition of cornmeal in the topping!

Adri August 27, 2013 at 9:13 am

I hear you about holding on to summer a bit longer. That cobbler looks fab!

Ash-foodfashionparty August 27, 2013 at 9:16 am

Oh, how I would love to have a scoop of the cobbler with butterscotch icecream, yum.

Megan August 27, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’m kind of excited that Fall is almost here. I love wearing sweaters and eating soup! However, I am really going to miss all of the fresh Summer produce. I might need to make this recipe as an homage to my Summer:) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Miss Kim @ behgopa August 28, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I am opposite of you. I cannot wait til summer is over. I am so looking forward to spring and winter. But maybe it’s cuz you live in SF. You guys have the best weather! It doesn’t get too hot in the summertime. I used to live up there, and I sure do miss it, especially the lovely weather. Well, it hasn’t been too too bad here in LA this year tho. But I still hate summer because of the heat.

The cobbler looks delish! It’s like one of the ultimate summer comfort foods. Love the simplicity of it.

merri October 7, 2013 at 11:43 am

This doesnt even look too hard! too bad i waited til now to read the post. fall is my fav season, for obvi reasons of walk outside right now, but summer fruit is my most fav and yes im buying all the late peaches/nectarines every time i’m at the store. i wont stop eating summer fruit til i have to.