Pregnancy Cookies (otherwise known as Super Manly Spring Training Cookies)

by Irvin on April 22, 2013 · 9 comments

Pregnancy Cookies, otherwise known as Super Manly Spring Training Cookies. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

“I’ve decided to call these Super Manly Spring Training Cookies, because when I called them Pregnancy Cookies, Scott wouldn’t eat them” said my currently pregnant friend Rita. She had stumbled upon a recipe for “pregnancy cookies” while searching for something else and decided to make them for a Spring-themed potluck with her husband Damon’s cousins. Scott, one of the cousins, apparently was fearful that eating a cookie would make him pregnant, so chose not to partake of one.

A pregnant Rita eating a Pregnancy Cookie. Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Once Rita showed me the original recipe, I immediately started to think of how I could make them better. Sure the original recipe did a good job of packing in nutrients for a preggers woman (a phrase Rita loathes, much preferring the more established “knocked up” euphemism) using blackstrap molasses to add iron, dried apricots for fiber and vitamin A and sunflower seeds for folic acid, thiamin and vitamin B6. But why stick with just plain all purpose flour? Why not use whole wheat for an added folate, Vitamin B1, B3, B5 and fiber boost? And swapping out the white sugar for coconut palm sugar seemed like a good ideas as it is supposed to have a lower glycemic index (though that’s debatable) as well as more nutrients. Of course the earthy caramel flavor of coconut palm sugar plays really well with the molasses and the candied crystallized ginger I threw in there to help fight nausea. Yep, I was on a mission to make a better, more improved healthy cookie for pregnant or fitness folks all the way around.

In the end, I rejiggered the recipe a few times, all the while trying to make sure the cookie actually tasted good. Sure I could pack it with even more crazy ingredients to give it even more nutrients, but they already bordered on “energy bar” and not “cookie” in flavor. Rita says she now craves the pregnancy cookies more than chocolate chip cookies and that’s saying a lot as she has been known to make triple and quadruple batches of chocolate chip cookies just to find the exact variation that she prefers. AJ took one bite of these new healthy cookies and proclaimed that he would TOTALLY eat the pregnancy cookies…especially while on training rides for the AIDS Lifecycle. So I guess they are Super Manly Spring Training Cookies. Or maybe AJ just isn’t too worried about getting pregnant.

Belinda @zomppa April 22, 2013 at 6:05 am

Cookies packed with nutrients?? I’m totally in!!

Ruthy @ omeletta April 22, 2013 at 7:31 am

AH! I just got WAY too excited about these cookies, and I’m not even knocked up. Heading to my best friend’s baby shower this weekend and these will be the perfect parting gift from me to her.
Also bookmarked it for my own special time of knocked up-ness (it’s my preferred term as well, hate “preggers”- ugh!) Maybe I’ll call them “pregnancy cookies” just to keep them away from my husband? If it’s worked before, you know :)

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence April 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

My boyfriend is doing the AIDS Lifecycle as well. I think I’ll make him a batch of these cookies to help with his training :) He fell 4 weeks ago and hurt his wrist. He’ll be getting back on the bike this week after he gets his brace off. This will be a perfect treat to get him back on track. Thanks!

merri April 22, 2013 at 4:00 pm

my sister is pregnant and she loves dessert! i was going to send her this recipe, then realized there is NO way that she would find these ingredients in NH. Esp since her husband favors shopping at walmart for their food. LOL!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet April 22, 2013 at 4:39 pm

YUM Irvin. Thank God I can’t get preggers or knocked up or bunned in the oven. Now pass me a cookie. :) Good luck to AJ! Great cause!

Rita April 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Yayyy!! Thanks again, Irvin, for working up this awesome recipe!! Loving the comments above, by the way. :) :)

One of the best parts is how I already have these ingredients in my pantry, thanks to trying to eat healthier due to this exact life event. Which has totally affirmed I’m on the right track. The only thing I had to get was chia seeds–which Damon began experimenting with the second we got them. You can use them a million ways! We love them!

As we love these cookies!!

Thanks and thanks!!!

Michelle Ritchie | Delicious Karma April 22, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Hilarious! Love it! A great, funny read…and I’m sure a great cookie. They certainly look delicious! I love the idea of something healthy that’s still a tasty cookie…as what’s the point if they are tasteless. Thanks too for the substitution notes…as I just learned about a new ingredient (Teff Flour). Hadn’t heard of that one before. Thanks!

Nik@ABrownTable April 23, 2013 at 7:59 am

I was curious when I first got the email update titled “Pregnancy Cookies” but your entire post had me giggling all the way. They look delicious, pregnancy and athleticism requirements aside, I’d still gorge on them!

Becky April 25, 2013 at 9:55 am

I’ve been looking for a good way to include black strap molasses into my diet while I’m pregnant. I will definitely be trying these! Thanks for the idea!