Photo Essay: New York City (Support for Sandy)

by Irvin on November 8, 2012 · 19 comments

Photo Essay: New York City (Support for Sandy) by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love

I rarely tell people this but I once had aspirations to move to New York. It was back in college, when all my friends were moving to New York and, obviously, I chose San Francisco instead. I have no regrets about my move here, and most of my friends who used to live in New York have since moved away from it (a large chunk of them to San Francisco actually). Yet, every time I visit, I have that twinge of regret, wondering how differently my life would have been had I moved there instead. I had a quick visit to New York back in August and have been meaning to post about it ever since. With Hurricane Sandy occurring a couple of weeks ago, a number of food bloggers have banded together to dedicate a post in support of those affected by the storm. Though the initial call for blog posts from Creative Culinary and Jenn Cuisine said to offer up a comfort item, there are plenty of comfort foods to be found here on my blog. Instead I offer a tiny snapshot of New York  that I took while running around in lower Manhattan (and a quick jaunt up to Central Park). Sandy impact on the city was horrible and there is a lot of work to be done. If you can spare anything, please consider donating to some of the non-profits listed below that are either working to help the victims of Sandy or have been affected by the storm itself.

Red Hook Initiative works with at risk youth to help them develop skills and leadership in local communities like Brooklyn. They are currently hosting legal assistance, emergency medical care from volunteer doctors for victims and are spearheading relief efforts, including serving 1000 hot meals per day. You can donate specifically to their Hurricane Effort through their Network through Good page.

CityMeals on Wheels is one of the largest meals-on-wheels programs in the US, providing 1.8 million meals to over 16,500 elderly New Yorkers each year. You can help them continue to provide meals to homebound elderly in the aftermath of Sandy with your donation.

Brooklyn Recovery Fund is a joint effort between the Brooklyn Community Foundation, the Office of the Brooklyn Borough President and the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce. Their efforts is to pool funds and distribute it to nonprofits that are working directly with the victims. It’s worth checking out their site, to read about the nonprofits and what each organization is doing in their own community.

The Ali Forney Center, a housing organization for homeless LGBT youth was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. Currently they are seeking donations to help them transition to a new, larger space.

Salvation Army is focusing on providing food, shelter, clothing and support to victims. They are taking donations to storm relief.

Feeding America is providing food, water, and supplies as part of their disaster relief program.

Red Cross I am hesitant to list the Red Cross, as there have been some reports of their lack of response, which is troubling, but overall they are a good organization that helps those in need. You can donate directly to them, or text the word “Redcross” to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

And if you are part of the twitter community, you can follow the hashtag #FBS4Sandy to see what others are posting about and to help encourage donations. If you are a food blogger that has posted as part of this effort, please leave a comment below so I (and others) can visit your post!

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 5:07 am

Such stunning photos Irvin. Thank you so much for participating, and thanks so much for sharing lots of great ways to help victims of Hurricane Sandy – some I did not know about before so this is really wonderful!

hotel new york November 11, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Yes I do agree with you Jenn, All of the photos are stunning and alive. New York is really a beautiful place. How I love to go and visit there.

alexandra @ sweet betweens [blog] November 8, 2012 at 5:12 am

Beautiful photos. Thank you so much for sharing your photo essay + some ways to help that might have a more direct impact [i.e. smaller grassroots groups vs. big national chapters]. All are doing great work, however.

Some Nashville food bloggers are hosting a fundraising bake sale Saturday. Several of us [myself included] have personal ties to New Jersey so we’ve rallied together to donate some funds to the Community Food Bank of NJ. More details can be found here : http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2012/11/08/sweet-relief-too-nashville-food-bloggers-bake-sale-to-benefit-sandy-victims-this-saturday

Thanks, again, for spreading the word.

Gail November 8, 2012 at 5:45 am

Irvin, you always know what the right touch is, no matter what. Beautifully done, and very moving.

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) November 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

Great photos. You captured the city’s essence so beautifully.

I had a twinge of nostalgia when I saw the photo of “Once Upon a Tart”…I used to go there everyday after lunch for a madeleine and a coffee. Love (and miss) that neighborhood…

Stephanie November 8, 2012 at 9:23 am

love the first photo!

Brian @ A Thought For Food November 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

Beautiful Irvin! Such a great tribute.

Winnie November 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

This is beautiful Irvin. Thank you.

Prerna@IndianSimmer November 8, 2012 at 11:13 am

Slowly life takes over and then I get busy again to be able to regularly visit your blog and then you do a post like this and I realize why I loved your blog in first place! Great post Irvin!

SMITH BITES November 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

some of your very best work Irvin – there isn’t a single one of these i wouldn’t want framed and hanging on my walls . . . so, so powerful and moving

Denise November 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

Great photo essay – you really captured NY!

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Comfort comes in many ways Irvin and I would imagine to some…seeing New York in your photos provides some of that while reminding people of the city that is and will be again. Great photos and great links; thank you for joining us!

merri November 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Wow these are really awesome photos, beautiful! And thanks for posting more places to donate besides red cross, i needed some good karma today but had heard fishy things about them and didn’t really want to donate more to them when someone else might use the $ better.

Jane Bonacci, The Heritage Cook November 8, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Irvin you have a true gift. The imagery on this page is incredible and tells a beautiful story of the heart of the people of New York. I love all the alternate organizations for donations. Thank you for sharing your vision with all of us!

The Squishy Monster November 8, 2012 at 5:53 pm

This is such an inspiring post. Your images are stunning! Thank you for sharing your resources with us.

I quite enjoy your blog and am now following you on twitter =)

CJ at Food Stories November 9, 2012 at 4:30 am

Stunning photos, Irvin … Great Job :-)

Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen November 9, 2012 at 6:19 am

I really enjoyed your photo essay this morning. The television footage of the devastation in New York is just shocking. Thankfully everyone is opening up their hearts and helping those whose lives were affected by the Hurricane.

Belinda @zomppa November 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Thanks for a beautiful pictorial – and for your thoughtfulness!

Ruthy @ omeletta November 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm

What a gorgeous, gorgeous photo essay!! I loved every single one. NYC is so resilient- and I don’t know how exactly, but I think you definitely captured that in these photos. The last one with the Steinbeck quote is my favorite.