The All American Classic Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie and Gay Pride

by Irvin on June 20, 2011 · 81 comments

Jumbo Cookie Trio jpg

Jumbo Cookie Trio featuring the All American Classic Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie

I rarely talk directly about being gay on this blog. Sure, I talk about my partner AJ all the time, and if you happen to read this blog on a regular basis, you might remember me participating in the gay pride parade last year. But I almost never talk specifically about me being gay because I don’t feel like I need to, it’s should be obvious to anyone who visits. But with San Francisco Gay Pride coming up this weekend, I feel like I need to let you all know a few things about me that you may not know. One, I am gay. Two, I bake a lot. Three, I also like to write really verbose blog posts. And with that, I present to you the third and final Jumbo Cookie in my Jumbo Cookie Trio pack that included the Blueberry White Chocolate Jumbo Cookie and the Strawberry and Cream Chocolate Chip Cookie. The All American Classic Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Now you may be wondering what a chocolate chip cookie has to do with being gay. Shouldn’t I be baking up some ridiculously fabulous rainbow cake in a jar or some super crazy pink triangle cookies? But here’s the thing, these cookies are pretty fantastic. Like amazingly fantastic. Like FABULOUSLY fantastic. And who did I get my recipe from? Well the amazingly fabulous fantastic David Leite, a fellow homosexual like me.

david leite is dreamy jpg

David Leite or a 50's Matinee Idol? I'm not sure.

This past weekend I went to a wedding for my dear friends Susie and Jai. Long time readers may remember Susie and Jai from their engagement cookies that I baked last year. Susie and I go way back to college, where we both studied graphic communications (her in advertising, me in design). We bonded after spending all our time in computer lab together, working on our projects and have stayed in touch ever since. Though I rarely see her (I need to work on being less busy so I can hang out with my friends), I was thrilled when she moved out here to San Francisco a couple of years ago and even more thrilled to be at her wedding, watching her marry the man of her dreams.

Susie and Jai jpg

Susie and Jai

At the reception, AJ and I ended talking to one of Susie’s father’s friend Mark, who happens to be gay. He seemed pleased to see AJ and I (apparently we were the token homosexual couple at the wedding) and as we chatted away, he introduced us to another couple, whose son had come out to them. The mom, in typical mom fashion, was completely worried about her son being gay. Mark, I think, thought that AJ and I would be a reassurance to her that just because their son is gay, it doesn’t mean that he is destined to a horrible life alone. Apparently AJ and I have become the example of how being gay isn’t a bad thing. The mom proceeded to ask me about growing up gay, my family’s reaction to me being gay, how life was now that I was out as a gay man, how long AJ and I were together, and what plans we had for the future.

AJ, me and the family at Hooters. Don't ask. jpg

AJ, me and the family at Hooters. Yes, AJ is now part of my family.

I didn’t have a problem answering all her questions, but what I just wanted to tell her, what I wish I had a chance to tell her, is this: “Your son will be fine. I mean, as fine as any other human being on this planet will be. He’ll live his life, fall in love, get his heart broken, fall in love again, go on bad dates, have bad hair days, get a job, have awful days, have heartwarming fantastic days, find friends, partners and coworkers that love him for who he is, and general go about his business like everyone else. In short, if you, as his mother, have done your job loving him as much as you can, instilling in him a sense of self worth and of who he is – which, by the way, coming out of the closet is just one of those steps of discovering who he is – then he’ll be just fine.

So here’s the thing. Being gay can be hard. I won’t deny that there are difficulties and obstacles that straight people don’t have to deal with. But doesn’t everyone have difficulties and obstacles (if you don’t, I hate you – also you are probably very boring)? But it can be pretty awesome too. If I wasn’t gay, I wouldn’t be living in San Francisco, with my amazing supportive partner AJ, and doing the things that I am doing right now. If I wasn’t gay, I probably wouldn’t be living the life that I living right now. And you know what? I love my life. I really do.

I really do love my life. jpg

I really do love my life.

But don’t just take my word on it. There are a number of other gay food bloggers out there that are living lives way more fabulous than me. Take, for instance, David Lebovitz whose an inspirations for all food bloggers – his life in Paris is pretty much the dream of nearly every food blogger out there. Sean Timberlake of Hedonia and Punk Domestics has always been there for me when I had a question about blogging, helping me to navigate newbie bloggerville. Garrett of Vanilla Garlic is one of my all time favorite people in the whole world, warm and willing to share so much. Broderick of Savory Exposure is probably the sweetest guy I’ve had the pleasure of meeting, while his photography always makes me drool with envy at all the food he partakes of. I absolutely adore Andrew of Eating Rules, who helping to change the way we all eat by challenging people to think about where the food comes from that we eat. Matt Armendariz of Matt Bites whose photography is utterly gorgeous and his casual humor just makes me smile every time I read his posts. Brian of My Thought for Food whose personal stories and thoughtful photography always makes me smile (and hungry)  every time I visit his site. Jun of JunBlog whose photography and stories about his Filipino heritage makes me want to dive into some pork adobo immediately. Michael of Food for the Thoughtless who’s blog is probably the one blog I always recommend when people ask me what blog they should be reading; he’s the David Sedaris of food blogs. And Dan Lepard, who astonishes me every time I visit his site with his incredible bread and baked goods.

And, of course, David Leite. I have a special place in my heart for David Leite of Leite’s Culinaria who not only is ridiculously smart and witty, but also always willing to share his knowledge with everyone. David is the one responsible for the original chocolate chip cookie that I based my recipe on, and it’s a winner, through and through. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had friends tell me “I’ve tasted hundreds of chocolate chip cookies, and this one is the best I’ve ever had.” And I’ll be honest with you, they are totally correct.

The All American Classic Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie jpg

The All American Classic Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie.

This chocolate chip cookie recipe is a classic. I’ve gone through numerous recipes of chocolate chip cookies, and in the end I always come back to this one as my base. I sometime change it up, adding spices, or using different flours (whole wheat, kamut, or spelt work really well, as does mesquite). Sometimes I chop up my bittersweet chocolate (I prefer that actually) sometimes I use chips (it’s easier and I’m lazy). There’s the addition of nuts (not a fan, but some of my friends love it), occasionally I add toffee bits to the cookie (friends seem to go crazy when I do that) and sometimes I change up the butter to brown butter or coconut butter. But it’s almost always ladders up to this classic recipe.

And in the end, it’s not the flashy rainbow colored cookies or hot pink triangle pastries that say gay pride to me. Gay pride, to me, is celebrating all things fabulous. And to me, there’s nothing more fabulous than a warm, right from the oven, chocolate chip cookie. Really.

The All American Classic Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie jpg

The All American Classic Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Here’s a list of other fabulous gay and lesbian food bloggers that you all should check out. Did I miss one? Are you a gay or lesbian food blogger? Leave a comment below and I’ll add you to my list!

Belinda @zomppa June 20, 2011 at 5:18 am

Wonderful post and FANTASTIC cookies. You and AJ are super adorable. Not many people can say they love their lives, so live it up!!

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thanks Belinda! My life isn’t all rainbows and unicorns (well I’m gay, so actually it IS all rainbows…) but as a whole I pretty much do love my life; I think I’m extremely lucky…

Scott June 20, 2011 at 5:26 am

Thanks for sharing the links of other gay food bloggers…I knew we were out there, I just hadn’t found them. You rock. Oh, and you and your man are adorable!

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 11:32 am

Thanks Scott! I’m sure there are hundreds of other gay food bloggers out there that I didn’t list or don’t know but those are the ones that I am most familiar with and they are wonderful people.

Brian @ A Thought For Food June 20, 2011 at 8:08 am

A touching post, my friend. A perfect way to honor Pride Month… you and AJ not only sound like a wonderful couple and outstanding individuals (I know you are).

And you can add me to that list of gay food bloggers!

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

Gah! Brian how could I have forgotten you? I’ve totally added you onto my list above. Happy Pride to you and your husband!

Jan June 20, 2011 at 9:24 am

Great post from start to finish! I’d take a good ol’ (jumbosized!) chocolate chip cookie over a rainbow cake in a jar any day. Just saying ;)

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 11:34 am

Thanks Jan! I love me some chocolate chip cookies, they are probably one of my favorite things to make…though the waiting for the dough to “cure” in the fridge can be torture! But so worth it…

Shawn June 20, 2011 at 10:09 am

Your cookies were a better choice than the “Ridiculously Fabulous Rainbow Cake in a Jar”…I know the gays are supposed to be into the rainbow and all but, that thing looks like it was made by some Blount County, Alabama PTA Moms.

Disclaimer:
No offense to Blount County or PTA Moms but, y’all do make and sell those Christmas Sweatshirts that light up and say ‘Santa, I want it all!”

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 11:43 am

LOL! I actually know and love dearly the blogger who came up with the rainbow cake in a jar, Brooke. She’s the absolute most wonderful person in the world. But I’ll totally admit that her rainbow cake in a jar kind of scared me with it’s intense neon food coloring. I’m gay but I’m not THAT gay… ;)

Shawn June 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I so did not mean to bash Brooke’s Rainbow Cake in a Jar…I love her work and stalk her CheekyKitchen blog all the time :)

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Oh no, I realize you weren’t talking specifically about Brooke. She’s super isn’t she? LOVE her.

Gail June 20, 2011 at 11:27 am

Weeping.
My partner & I have been together for 29 years. We wouldn’t be the people we are without each other’s love and support.
Two years ago, we married in the state of CT. This week we’re on pins and needles waiting for NY State Senate to do the right thing and vote yes for gay marriage.
Now, pass me a cookie, please.

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 11:47 am

Awww Gail, I love that you two are got married in CT! AJ and I have talked about getting married each time the window has opened up for us here in California, but we refuse to do it within a deadline. We’re waiting for Prop 8 to work it’s way through the courts and for us to finally, hopefully permanently, have a proper celebration and ceremony.

Mazel tov to you and your partner though! And yes, my eyes are totally on NY right now…

Susie Decker June 20, 2011 at 11:46 am

Amazing post. We were so lucky and honored to have you and AJ at the wedding and in our lives! We love you.

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I’m lucky and honored to have been invited! Now go and have some redheaded little babies! Love you guys…

ChocoMeat June 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for this post Irvin! I find that I inadvertently skirt around being gay in my writing too, I suppose for the same reasons. It’s convenient to say “it’s a food blog, not a me blog.” But that’s simply not true. This is a nice reminder how we are all examples to others, and perhaps it’s our duty to our readers to overstate ALL of who we are once in a while. Tastefully. With cookies.

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I never skirt the issue of me being gay, but I rarely come out and say “I am gay” in my blog, mostly because I figure if I talk about my partner AJ all the time, most people will figure it out.

That said, I totally agree with you about the food vs me blog debate. I have to consciously remind myself that my blog isn’t just a food blog, it’s a blog about myself with a food focus. And, in truth, the posts that I am most proud of, and that people respond to, are about both food and my personal life, and how they intersect. Which, conveniently, is how I like to write. So it’s a win win situation. ;)

Prerna@IndianSimmer June 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I LOVE chocolate chip cookie (Ok, everyone does!) LOVE David Leite and it was just so lovely to meet you in person recently! That’s a lovely post and you and AJ look SO lovely together. All I am trying to say it I loved spending time reading trough this post of yours :-)

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:47 pm

It was SO fantastic to meet you in person as well! And isn’t David Leite the best? I adore him. ADORE him.

And thanks for spending time here. It’s always nice to know that the stuff I write is actually being read… :)

Fuji Mama June 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Amen, if there is anyone out there without difficulties and obstacles…grrrrrrr!!! Love this post but am despising you because now I’m craving chocolate chip cookies… Darn it.

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Oh boy, when I was writing this post, I TOTALLY was craving chocolate chip cookies. Sadly I usually have some dough stashed in my freezer but I’ve used it all up. I should really make some more, but I’m heading out of town for an extended trip in a couple of weeks…

Carrie Melissa Jones (@southxsf) June 20, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Loved this post and your personal story. That’s so touching. And I like how you connected who you are to these cookies, mostly because all things in life should come full-circle back to baked goods!

And Gah! Those cookies really do look out of this world… The extra half-stick of butter (as compared to standard chocolate chip cookie recipes) must make a WORLD of a difference.

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:50 pm

The extra half stick of butter DOES make it fantastic. But letting the dough sit in the fridge for a couple of days really helps because the flour can hydrate, meaning the cookies don’t taste nearly as greasy as you would think they might with all that butter.

And yes, all things in life should come back to baked goods!

Sean June 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm

A few more I know of:

Adam Roberts of The Amateur Gourmet (http://www.amateurgourmet.com/)
Scott of In Scott’s Kitchen (http://web.me.com/scottinhawaii/In_Scotts_Kitchen/)
Meg of Grow and Resist (http://growandresist.com/)
Sharon of Nickelmoon (http://nickelmoon.blogspot.com/)
Kate of Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking (http://hipgirlshome.com/) — not just food
The adorable Zach and Clay at The Bitten Word (http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/)
Sean of Cooking with Sean (And Joey) (http://www.cookingwithsean.com/)
Allen of Eating Out Loud (http://www.eatingoutloud.com/)
Adam of BlogHungry (http://bloghungry.typepad.com/blog/)
Ed Tep of Is It EDible? (http://www.isitedible.net/)
Shuna Lydon of Eggbeater (http://eggbeater.typepad.com/shuna/)
My pal Sarah aka Jerkey of La Cuisine de le Jerque (http://jerkeysblog.blogspot.com/)

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Oh Sean. Of COURSE you would know of more fabulous gay/lesbian bloggers. I’m only familiar with half of those (though I’m totally perplexed as to why I forgot Ed of Is it Edible since I went to undergrad with him) so now I can’t wait to explore more of them.

You rock.

meg- grow and resist June 20, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Thanks Sean! =)

Andrew @ Eating Rules June 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Wonderful post, Irvin. I adore you, too.

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:53 pm

And I, as stated in my post, utterly adore you. Thank you!

MikeVFMK June 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Beautiful post! I had friends come up here to Toronto years ago to get married when it was the only place with some sanity at the time. Love the third in the trifecta of cookies but love this post even more Irvin!

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Awww. I remember when Canada allowed same sex marriage to start. I had a few acquaintances that went up to get married up there!

And thanks for the kind words!

merry jennifer June 20, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Fabulous post, Irvin.

This line says it all: “In short, if you, as his mother, have done your job loving him as much as you can, instilling in him a sense of self worth and of who he is – which, by the way, coming out of the closet is just one of those steps of discovering who he is – then he’ll be just fine.”

Bravo. (oh, and can you send me some cookies?)

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Thanks so much! If I had any cookies around I’d totally send you some. But sadly I am without baked goods in the house now!

It’s actually rather alarming now that I think about it. I should fix that immediately…

Garrett June 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Excellent work. Just excellent.

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Thanks Garrett. Happy Pride!

Stefanie June 20, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I love this post – I got here via Vanilla Garlic, so thanks to Garrett. I love that you have constructed a list of gay/ lesbian/ queer food bloggers. Its nice to be able to support the queers – even if its “just” through reading them!

Chosen families are just as important (sometimes more so!) than bio families!

Irvin June 20, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Thanks Stephanie! Isn’t Garrett and Vanilla Garlic awesome? Love him/his blog.

And yes, chosen families are wonderful! I love my friends. I’d be completely lost without them.

Lori June 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm

YOU are fabulous whether you made incredible chocolate chip cookies or not! The world needs more people like you.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:31 am

Awww. Thanks Lori! What a great compliment.

sarah June 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Oh these cookies look way too good. Totally craving chocolate chip cookies now.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:32 am

They are insanely good. I sort of want some now too. I wish I still had cookie dough in the freezer… But sadly I used it all up for those events I described above!

Phuoc'n Delicious June 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Awwww love your honesty in this post. Good on you! It doesn’t matter what your sexuality is, we all face common problems in life. All that matters is that you don’t let simple things bother you, we can power through whatever life throws at us.

Yummy cookies by the way :)

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:36 am

It’s so true! You totally nailed it on the head with that one. Don’t let the simple things bother you. So glad you said that!

And yes, the cookies totally are yummy. ;)

meg- grow and resist June 20, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh wow, thanks for including me! I so love the queers! And now I want a chocolate chip cookie in the worst way. I’ll pass it on the my Ladyfriend…she is the choc. chip cookie baker. (I’m the cook, but she has a few things she does like to make so I let her. She’s my bartender too so it works out well).
Anyway- great post. I loved this: ““Your son will be fine. I mean, as fine as any other human being on this planet will be. He’ll live his life, fall in love, get his heart broken, fall in love again, go on bad dates, have bad hair days, get a job, have awful days, have heartwarming fantastic days, find friends, partners and coworkers that love him for who he is, and general go about his business like everyone else. In short, if you, as his mother, have done your job loving him as much as you can, instilling in him a sense of self worth and of who he is – which, by the way, coming out of the closet is just one of those steps of discovering who he is – then he’ll be just fine.””

Beautiful! Oh, and I’m glad you didn’t make rainbow cake in a jar. =)

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:41 am

I’m glad I didn’t do the rainbow cake in the jar either! I’m not that much of a cliche. ;) And yes, you should TOTALLY get your Ladyfriend to bake them. They are fantastic.

And I’m so glad Sean pointed you out to me. I can’t wait to explore your blog…I can live vicariously through your gardening, as I live in a tiny apartment that does not afford space for gardening…

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 21, 2011 at 3:21 am

Great post, such honesty. And I love that you love your life:-) These cookies look incredible.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:42 am

Thanks Lauren! I’m so glad you like it! And yes, you are correct, the cookies ARE incredible.

Ken⏐hungry rabbit June 21, 2011 at 7:21 am

You represent the gay community brilliantly. Not only are you proud, but you and AJ live a joyful and honest live that spells love. I’m truly honored to have met you and call you my friend.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:44 am

Ken that means SO much to me! Thank you so much.

David Leite June 21, 2011 at 8:11 am

It takes a lot to make me blush, but I’m a rare shade of crimson at the moment. I can’t wait to haul out my baking ingredients and make your version. I’m sure it’s fantastic. Happy Gay Pride to you and anyone who embraces authenticity and fabulousness.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:45 am

Awww. I made you blush! But you DO know that I meant every word of it right? ‘Cuz I did!

And yes, Happy Gay Pride to you too and all else who live their life the way they want to.

David Leite June 23, 2011 at 6:37 am

I feel the same way. And a happy, happy to you and A.J., and everyone else who’s waving a rainbow flag this week.

(And “50′s matinee idol”? I’m still swooning over that.)

kellypea June 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I love your energy, this post, the cookies…need I say more? My oldest son is gay, and although he came out to me on my 40th birthday (by request) I’m thinking he’s not enjoying life as much as you. I haven’t given up hoping, though :)

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

It’s never too late to live life to it’s fullest. But I will say it can be a hard thing to do. And trust me I struggle with it too. But never get up hope. Life is ALWAYS full of possibilities and potential.

Lee Wind June 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Dude – I don’t even EAT chocolate and I loved this post! A story, a recipe, a philosophy on what it means to be gay… it’s AWESOME! Hugs to you and A.J.,
Namaste,
Lee

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:48 am

Hugs to you Lee! So glad you stopped by. It was wonderful to see you in LA a few weeks ago!

Michael Procopio June 22, 2011 at 11:05 am

Looks like I’m a couple of days late on this party, but I wanted to thank you for a) lumping me in with a lot of folks I really, really like and b) making my blog posts look short in comparison.

Happy, happy Pride weekend. We need to herd the locals together soon for a cocktail, don’t you think? And soon.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:51 am

Yes! It’s been too long since the locals have gotten together for drinks. We should get J̶u̶l̶i̶e̶ Sean our cruise director to set something up again for us!

And yes, I really need to work on short blog posts don’t I? *sigh*

Adryon June 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

What a great post! Love (and cookies) are a beautiful thing.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 1:59 am

Thanks so much Adryon! I totally agree, love and cookies are a beautiful thing.

Jun Belen June 22, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Thank you, Irvin, for this beautiful piece. I wish my mom (my sisters, and my late dad) had heard those words from you… Your son (or brother) will be fine… when I came out to them many years ago. Even if my mom has visited me here in San Francisco a few times now and has met Dennis and they have gotten along fine, I still can’t say with confidence that my family has accepted him completely. Dennis has never visited my family back home. Sadly, I don’t think my family is ready yet and I don’t know if they will ever be. But who know, my paranoia may be totally baseless. I really wish somebody had told them those words before.

And by the way, thank you for the mention. You are very sweet. Enjoy Hawaii.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 2:10 am

Well, perhaps you could be the one to tell them that? I know it’s hard though. When I told my parents way back (20 years ago?) in so many ways it was more difficult for them than it was for me, telling them.

And in some ways, it probably still is – it’s their job to worry about their kids and the worse case scenarios are the ones they want to run through their head over and over again.

But, in the end, my parents always told me that all they want for me is to be happy. In some ways, that all anyone can hope for. If you’re happy, then that’s what most important.

Stephanie - Wasabimon June 23, 2011 at 1:38 am

“And to me, there’s nothing more fabulous than a warm, right from the oven, chocolate chip cookie.”

Amen, my dear. Amen.

Irvin June 23, 2011 at 2:12 am

Praise the Lord! Hallelujah!

Raffaella Casati June 23, 2011 at 6:35 am

Irvin, I’m speechless. This post is so true, so touching and inspiring, brave and proud and yet simple and natural. Just as tasteful as your recipes.
You should always be an example, to anybody, gay or not.

Irvin June 24, 2011 at 12:08 am

Thank you Raffealla! I totally didn’t expect the reaction that I got when I wrote it. But it means so much to me that it resonated with so many people like you! Your comment made my day.

Scott_D June 23, 2011 at 9:21 am

Thanks for listing me!

Irvin June 24, 2011 at 12:28 am

Of course! But you should really be thanking Sean from Hedonia ‘cuz he pointed me in your direction.

amelia from z tasty life June 23, 2011 at 9:36 am

too cute! (I bet your mother is very loving and wonderful because you have a great sense of self) . Love, peace and freedom for everyone.

Irvin June 24, 2011 at 12:30 am

My mother is very loving and wonderful actually! Though she worries a bit too much. But I guess that’s part of a mother’s job description, to worry. ;)

Jen June 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I love this post…right on time, and on point, with the wonderful news in NY yesterday. I’m totally craving chocolate chip cookies right now. I’m going to try your version as I always get lazy to do the NYTimes version. One question – Salted butter? Not unsalted??

Happy Pride!

Irvin June 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I specifically use salted butter in these cookies, because I wanted to cut down the number of ingredients and lately I’ve been liking the taste of salted butter in my baked goods (it works especially well with these cookies). I think one of the problems with salted butter is that you get an inconsistency with the salt, some butters have more salt than others.

But the brands I use (I tend to go for middle of the road Trader Joe’s salted and unsalted butter) are pretty consistent with the salt. But if you are unsure or only have unsalted butter in the house, feel free to use that, and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt (don’t use regular iodized table salt, it’s too harsh)

And yes, it seems heretical as a baker, but I figure if David Lebovitz can use salted butter in his chocolate chip cookies, I’m in good company. ;)

Jen June 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Thank you, Thank you! Making these tomorrow…

Rita June 30, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Those chocolate chip cookies look absolutely perfectly, goldenly, deliciously baked. I want.

YUM.

And yum to you for imbuing this post with gay pride without going to the rainbow sprinkles place. :D

r

Jazmin August 30, 2011 at 11:22 am

You forgot to add the “tsp” to baking soda and baking powder (I hope it’s teaspoons…I just cross referenced it with David Leite’s recipe). 34 more hours to go for my dough…

Irvin August 30, 2011 at 11:32 am

Oh crap! I did, didn’t I? I fixed it now. Thanks for pointing it out! I can’t believe I didn’t notice that before. Let me know what you think…

Jazmin September 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I would’ve replied earlier except that I was in a cookie-coma for quite some time. This recipe is fantastic! It was so worth the 36 hours, the texture is perfect! I think describing it as a “cookie experience” was pretty accurate.

Juanita March 1, 2012 at 8:32 pm

This is an AMAZING resource and heartfelt celebration of our pride. I just found this post in my search for other queer bloggers. I just started my own and welcome feedback, suggestions, love, community, and support. Thank you. Juanita

Rae March 28, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Irvin this cookie was delicious, but it came out flat and large! Is it the butter, I cubed it as instructed. In Hawaii the weather is so humid, could that have affected it? Thank you for sharing the recipe, the taste after 4 days in the fridge was delicious! Any tips on getting it to be fatter cookies? Yum!

Irvin March 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Flat? How strange! I’ve never had that happen to me. I don’t think the humidity should have effected it, nor should the butter, as I tested it with different middle of the road grocery store butters (nothing too fancy).

Let’s see. Maybe, instead of flattening out the dough into disks, you can keep the dough in round balls. That may help. Definitely don’t let the dough get warm. Preheat the oven, and once it’s preheated, pull the dough out of the fridge and immediately form it into balls and then place in oven.

You may also want to check your oven temperature. Some ovens run hot (or cold) and that can effect the way the cookies bake up. Running out and getting a cheap $5-10 oven thermometer will fix that. If your oven is running at a different temperature, just adjust your dial accordingly.

Finally you may want to check how much flour you put in there. If you didn’t put enough flour in the batter, it throws the ratio off, with more fat, which means it’ll spread more.

Hope these tips help!

Sarah O. November 20, 2013 at 11:19 am

I could not love this post more. That photo of you jumping is just so glorious. And these cookies look like perfection.