Slow Roasted Spicy Strawberries in Balsamic Vinegar and Red Wine

by Irvin on April 1, 2011 · 33 comments

The past week has been a whirlwind surreal experience. I’ve been rushing around trying to get a bunch of stuff done because I’m out of town next week for a family function. I’ve been accused (or is it complimented?) of being an over-achiever in the past, but it seems that I just can’t get everything done that I’d like to get done before I leave. But the one thing I did get done, are slow roasted spicy strawberries in balsamic vinegar and red wine.

Slow Roasted Strawberries

Of course, earlier this week I made those blood orange caramels to be auctioned off for the Japanese Earthquake victims over at The Tomato Tart’s virtual bake sale. When I woke up the day of the auction all excited (and slightly nervous) to see if anyone would bid on my treats, whoa boy, was in for a surprise! In one of the first bids of the auction, Beth over at OMG Yummy bought them in one fell swoop. Using the “Buy it Now” bidding, she automatically won them for $250. OMG is right! She’s amazing! Though Sabrina of The Tomato Tart hasn’t posted what the final total for the entire event was, it was more than her goal of $2500. Yay!

Blood Orange Caramels

I want to say these are worth their weight in gold, but it's probably more like silver or copper.

Now on Saturday April 2nd, 2011 is going to be the real life Bake Sale for Japan event. I’m going to be at the Bi-Rite Market San Francisco location with a few baked treats of mine, which I have yet to create. But I know that one of the components of my baked treats for sale will includes these slow roasted strawberries.

Slow Roasted Strawberries

If you’ve never slow roasted strawberries or never had slow roasted strawberries you are missing out. The low heat slowly concentrates the flavor of the raw strawberries, while keeping their shape intact (conversely, cooking on direct heat like the stovetop, can causes the berries to lose their integrity and disintegrate). It’s a great way to either use old strawberries that look like they are a day away from being tossed in the compost bin, or strawberries that don’t have a lot of flavor (like early Spring strawberries).

Early Spring Strawberries

Early Spring strawberries. They look deceptively good, but they don't have a huge amount of flavor.

I love to slow roast strawberries and then spoon them chilled over vanilla ice cream. I’ve used them in pies, as a sauce for a plated dessert, or as a component in another baked good (which is what I’m doing for the Bake Sale on Saturday). They are incredibly versatile, but in truth, once you’ve tasted these, I can easily see you just spooning the directly into you mouth. I know I do.

Slow Roasted Strawberries

Hope to see some of you at the Saturday April 2nd Bake Sale for Japan Bi-Rite market location (on 18th Street, between Dolores and Guerrero in San Francicsco). If you don’t live near Bi-Rite, be sure to check the website for a location near you. They are happening around the US (and in fact, there’s another location right here in San Francisco at SPQR on Fillmore). If you do stop by the Bi-Rite location though, you’ll get a chance to see what I use these strawberries for. The rest of you, well you’ll just have to wait for the next post.

Brian @ A Thought For Food April 1, 2011 at 7:36 am

I actually have some strawberries that I need to use up. I think I’ve found my recipe.

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:24 pm

It’s SUCH a great recipe to use up old strawberries. Or when strawberries are in season and you can buy them super cheap. Totally versatile.

Nicole April 1, 2011 at 8:26 am

Yum! I love your blog!

One question: how do I use the roasted strawberries in a pie without them turning to mush?

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Good questions! I actually don’t re-bake them in a pie that often just as they are. They will start to turn to mush. I like to puree them and then mix them into the filling, adding a great strawberry flavor, without the mushy texture. I also use them to make icebox strawberry pie. Half fresh strawberries and half roasted strawberries make for a great pie.

But on occasion, I just put them in a pie as is. They do get softer when they bake again, but they have a stronger more concentrated strawberry flavor than fresh strawberries. I try to pair them with fruits like peaches or berries, where the softer texture doesn’t matter as much.

Jenni June 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I’m jumping in here to say 1)this is a beautiful recipe, Irvin, and 2)I could see baking a tart crust, filling it with vanilla pastry cream, pureeing these berries and cooking them down even more, straining them and then spreading a thin layer on top of the set pastry cream.

And that’s it. :)

Lawyer Loves Lunch April 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Oooh, good heads up for the bake sale tomorrow. I’m gonna convince the hubster to come with me so we can buy double the amount of treats. See ya tomorrow (hopefully), friend! :)

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Sorry I missed you. Hope you were able to make it and got some goods!

Kristy April 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm

OH Deliciousness!

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:29 pm

thanks Kristy!

Maris (In Good Taste) April 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Looks so nice. Love the strawberries and can’t wait for strawberry season here in Chicago!

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:30 pm

It’s barely strawberry season here in California. I think in another month, we’ll have better ones. But I jumped the gun and got some because I was really craving them. They weren’t that good, so I roasted them.

Pat April 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Thanks for all that you do! Am salivating over the strawberries. Our bake sale in Marin tomorrow is at Larkspur Landing …..I wish everyone luck with raising as much money as possible!

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I hope you guys raised a ton of money! It was a great event. I hear in total they made nearly $125K!

Phuoc'n Delicious April 1, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Oh my! I’m drooling at the thought of scooping this on some vanilla bean icecream. I wish you all the best for the bake sale, you go guys!

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:31 pm

They are REALLY great on vanilla bean ice cream. It’s one of my favorite ways to eat them. That and just plain, with a spoon!

The Manly Housewife April 2, 2011 at 3:29 am

These look wonderful and i have some homemade ice cream that they would go well with….

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:32 pm

See my comment to Phuoc’n Delicious. They are great with homemade ice cream, or if you want to get fancy, made INTO homemade ice cream.

cy April 2, 2011 at 11:37 am

you made me drool on my laptop. damn you, baker boy!

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Then my job here is done.

Stephanie April 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Wow! Yes please!!

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Do it! Make them! You won’t regret it.

faith April 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I feel like these would be amazing in a risotto.

Irvin April 5, 2011 at 11:34 pm

It never occurred to me to try them with a savory dish, but I bet you it would work. The spring strawberries aren’t super sweet and the dry big bold red wine and balsamic vinegar really does balance the fruit out. If you do it, let me know how it turns out.

melanie April 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

wow – I love this idea utterly! I been roasting pears and apples this winter for various applications – but this is very kicked-up from what I do. Up here in the NorthWest – our strawberry season is brief – so most of the available strawberries are from elsewhere and don’t taste like much of anything. So I am going to love having this recipe in my back pocket. I’ve got several mangos on my counter at this moment looking for work – I may try this first with mangos…

love your site Irwin – so much inspiration
melanie at http://mindfulfood.blogspot.com/

dancing kitchen April 7, 2011 at 11:27 pm

This was beyond good. My home smells amazing and this is delicious!

Sharon April 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Just discovered your blog via the Saveur nominations (congrats!)…about to put a pan of these in the oven now to serve with scones for the royal wedding tomorrow. Cheerio to you for the idea!

Sharon April 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Best jam ever. May not make it to the scones. Thanks!

Irvin April 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Yay! They are really great aren’t they? I’ve made double batches before because I eat them by the spoonful when I’m done.

Thank you for the congrats and for stopping by.

kellypea May 3, 2011 at 10:47 am

Oh MAN! I’ve never roasted them before. Must try. Absolutely.

Joanna goes vegan May 3, 2011 at 11:25 am

I absolutely adore strawberries but I have never tried them your way. As soon as they appear on the market I am soooo preparing them according to your suggestion :-)

Chef Spadanini May 4, 2011 at 4:47 am

This is a truly wonderful idea. I’ve used these strawberries as a filling for an almond and lemon cake and it was a huge success at home. I will definitely be trying them in other recipes as well.
(here is the result I got: http://cozinhacomtomates.blogspot.com/2011/05/bolo-de-amendoa-e-limao-com-molho-de.html )

laura May 4, 2011 at 6:45 am

sounds incredible! and not as much sugar as i would have expected. :) bookmarking this with my cookmarked.com account!!

Laurie August 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I’m so glad I found your blog! Love it and can’t wait to try this recipe.