WORDLESS RECIPE #1: How to Make Your Own Ice Cream “Magic” Chocolate Hard Shell

by Irvin on March 4, 2011 · 102 comments

EatTheLove Wordless Recipes #1 How to make your own ice cream "magic" chocolate hard shell

7oz of dark chocolate

Chop chocolate into small chunks

Weigh out 7oz

Measure out 2 tablespoons of unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil

Add Coconut Oil to Chopped Chocolate

Put bowl of chocolate and coconut oil in microwave

Punch in 30 seconds

Stir chocolate

place back in microwave

for 30 seconds more

stir again

Microwave one more time

for 30 seconds more

Stir until smooth

Get out ice cream and cone

Scoop out ice cream

Place ice cream on cone!

Take ice cream to bowl of chocolate

Spoon magic hard shell coating onto ice cream

Coat ice cream completely

eat ice cream

eat ice cream

eat ice cream

or just admire the beauty of the chocolate cover ice cream

Download a PDF of Eat the Love’s Wordless Recipe #1
How to Make Your Own Ice Cream “Magic” Chocolate Hard Shell (1.8 MB file)

Recipe adapted from Thomas Keller and the New York Times.

Republic of Jam March 4, 2011 at 9:27 am

I love it! Especially the eating it photos…

Great stuff.

chris March 4, 2011 at 9:28 am

Genius.

Dina Avila March 4, 2011 at 9:29 am

So loving this!

stella March 4, 2011 at 9:43 am

love this idea!! great post!

brhau March 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

Could you please clarify the last couple steps? :)

Irvin March 4, 2011 at 2:28 pm

You should eat the chocolate dipped ice cream cone while looking pensively at the camera. I’m sure if you have any questions you can ask your wife about that.

elizabeyta March 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

I loved this! I might have to try it for my family, with out the coconut oil due to an allergy.

Thanks for the smiles today!

elizabeyta

Irvin March 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oh I’m sorry to hear about your coconut allergy! That said, from what I’ve read and heard, most people who are allergic to coconut are allergic to the protein in the coconut meat. The protein isn’t present in the oil so it should be safe.

But, of course, everyone has their own level of sensitivity, so obviously you should avoid it if you are sensitive! The coconut oil helps set the chocolate fast on the ice cream cone, as well as thin it out. But if you can’t use it, I’m sure melted chocolate will do. Just make sure the ice cream is really cold/stick the cone in the freezer for a little bit before eating it!

Thanks for stopping by!

Anita March 4, 2011 at 9:55 am

You don’t have to say a word! Love it.

Yazmena March 4, 2011 at 10:00 am

Love this!

Danielle March 4, 2011 at 10:12 am

This is gorgeous and very well done Irvin! I love the shot of chocolate being drizzled over the ice-cream. Looking forward to more!

Pat March 4, 2011 at 10:17 am

Yum — and yum, yum, yum again. Brilliant handling of a recipe.

Dianne Jacob March 4, 2011 at 10:21 am

What a nice change from the usual. Now. I just happened to see this recipe in the Chronicle. Adapted from Thomas Keller. Did you say that somewhere?

Irvin March 4, 2011 at 10:35 am

At the very bottom is an attribution line that says “Recipe adapted from Thomas Keller and the New York Times.” with a link to the NYT article where I originally saw it.

It was in the Chronicle too? How funny!

Dianne Jacob March 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Right! Sorry I missed that. Too busy drooling over the cone.

Tessa March 4, 2011 at 10:25 am

Love this! It makes me laugh, both because of the great fun photos and because I’m remembering having lots of fun with (more plasticy) magic shell as a kid. Thank you!

Jaden March 4, 2011 at 10:36 am

Very very cool! My kids can follow along and make their own.

Fuji Mama March 4, 2011 at 10:37 am

Genius. Pure genius.

Taylor March 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

Love it! Great Pictures and so creative!

Jun Belen March 4, 2011 at 11:10 am

Brilliant! Love the photographs.

Dawn (KitchenTravels) March 4, 2011 at 11:10 am

Love this wordless post. Love it!

Question: what purpose does the coco oil serve? Does it help the “shell” harden faster, make it easier to pour, what? Inquisitive minds want to know! xo

MS March 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Yes, it’s the coconut oil that makes it shell. Coconut oil is liquid at 76 degrees, solid below that. So it hardens as soon as it hits the cold ice cream.
Great stuff, awesome post!

Teresa March 4, 2011 at 11:26 am

Wonderful post! I love the wordless concept and that you demystify something that many would think you could only get at the supermarket (or at the Dairy Queen).

Gail March 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

Bravo!!!!

penny de los santos March 4, 2011 at 11:35 am

HAWT!!!

Lil @ sweetsbysillianah March 4, 2011 at 11:40 am

this is just brilliant… love the photos – the ones of you guys eating made me giggle-out-loud! =D i would go crazy with sprinkles, or nuts a la drumsticks!

Libertad Leal March 4, 2011 at 11:57 am

This is much too cool. Must.try.immediately.

Ralph March 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Cannot overstate how cool this post is. I would buy a cookbook like this in a heartbeat as it truly beats reading recipes…

Martha March 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm

This is beautiful, easily my favorite non-holiday post. Even if it does need more peanut butter ….

Jeanette March 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm

What a treat, and so simple without all the additives in the magic shells on the supermarket shelves!

Irvin March 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm

And it tastes at least 10x better than the supermarket stuff! Just make sure to use quality chocolate to begin with.

Sharlene March 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Great concept! And delicious treat!

Jean Layton March 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Wonderful fun, now it makes me curious. will other chocolates work as well?

Irvin March 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I haven’t tried it with other chocolates, but I imagine it would. Milk chocolate or even white chocolate would probably work. The coconut oil really thins out the chocolate so it’s not super thick when you spoon it over the ice cream and since coconut oil hardens at 76˚F it totally helps the chocolate to harden fast.

If you try it with different chocolates, let me know your results! I’m a dark chocolate person myself so…

Faith March 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Adorable! I <3 chocolate shell so I have a feeling I will be using this a ton!

Anjana March 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm

This is FABULOUS. Not just because it’s innovative and different — but it does what words can’t … it is so nice to see what the intermediate steps are supposed to look like … it’s not just a gimmick – there’s real value. And it was Laugh Out Loud to see that first photo of AJ. =)

You should forward to the Chronicle so they can add a link to their article!

SMITH BITES March 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm

you really are the bees knees . . . oh, and brilliant!

Serene March 4, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Fab. You. Lous.

Serene March 4, 2011 at 4:26 pm

And Captcha + Moderation = Overkill. ;-)

Irvin March 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Whoops! Sorry. I just instigated the Captcha because of the insane amount of spam. Since launching my new site about a month ago, I’ve had over 300 spam comments. That should be fixed so if you have to do the Captcha again, and get it right, it’ll get published automatically.

Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) March 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Brilliant! I am sending this to our family friend who buys the toxic kind!

Haley March 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I LOVE it! That would be so good with So Delicious coconut milk ice cream! YUM!!!

Irvin March 4, 2011 at 11:40 pm

This would be great with the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream! It would make it vegan too (as long as you got vegan chocolate to melt).

You can only taste a hint of the coconut in the coconut oil (I use unrefined – if you use refined coconut oil, there’s not coconut flavor at all). But with the coconut milk ice cream, you’d definitely get great layers of coconut flavor.

Tara March 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Love it! Do more, and have them all end with “consuming” photos – the best part! ;)

Irvin March 5, 2011 at 9:03 pm

There will be more to come. And since consuming the item at the end is the best part, I doubt that I would leave photos of that out!

LimeCake March 4, 2011 at 8:07 pm

This wordless recipe is too cool! Love your photos!

Nancy @SensitivePantry March 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Spectacular!!

Patrick March 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Very cool & clever. You are going to have imitators soon, I may be one of them. :)

Kiran March 4, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Wordless recipe? How cool is that! :)

Mrs.P March 5, 2011 at 1:53 am

wo hooooo……………..by using coconut oil, it gives tasty and savoury flavour to your beloved dark chocolate…so yummy

Brian @ A Thought For Food March 5, 2011 at 7:03 am

You know, I’ve always wondered how you could make that at home. Thanks for sharing!

Stacie Tamaki March 5, 2011 at 7:34 am

Wordless is so smart, simple and fun!

Can’t decide which “eating” photo I love most. They’re all so cute. I think I love the one of your friend in glasses gazing far off into the distance, as if the ice cream is helping him think intensely profound thoughts. Or maybe there was a bird outside the window. Or maybe he was just trying to take as big of a bite as possible. LOL.

Great job!

Eileen Dailey March 5, 2011 at 8:11 am

Do you think it would work to melt it all in a double boiler type thingy…I do not (will not) own a microwave??? If so..can’t wait to buy some gf cones and df ice cream (or make it). Yeah, with nuts and make a drumstick version!
Love the blue glasses : )
Thanks : )

Irvin March 5, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Yes, definitely! The reason I used a microwave was mostly to simplify the recipe. Explaining a double boiler via photographs would be more difficult, and not as many people are familiar with double boilers. Everyone knows how to use a microwave (even if they don’t own one).

But yes, a double boiler TOTALLY would work. You just need to have something that will melt the chocolate and coconut oil. And nuts and sprinkles would be great on it!

Lauren March 5, 2011 at 8:46 am

I love this, exponentially.

sweet road March 5, 2011 at 9:56 am

I bet I could make homemade klondike style bars with this tip!

Irvin March 5, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Mmm. I used to LOVE klondike bars. You’d have to figure out how to mold them into those square bars though.

Christina of Form V Artisan March 5, 2011 at 10:06 am

It’s because coconut oil has such a high melting point! Wooooo!

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle March 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I just recently did a post about what I think of as the ‘Original’ hard shell topping for ice cream, Gold Brick Topping. Available only in small markets near where it’s produced, I’ve craved it since I was a kid and it was served at a restaurant I went to with my mom. It’s a combination of butter and chocolate (and pecans) which I love but this looks great and different..nothing wrong with some coconut and chocolate.

Irvin March 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I grew up in St. Louis, and I have vague memories of Gold Brick Topping and definite memories of Stix, Baer and Fuller! I was never a huge fan of nuts on my ice cream, but I do have fond memories of Dairy Queen and their dipped cones, as well as magic shell coating, thus this post.

Karen from Globetrotter Diaries March 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm

A wordless recipe– I love this idea and what a wonderful way to cook. I’m a visual person, so definitely a better way for me to remember recipes! Looking forward to the others…

Lauren March 5, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Love, love, love this! I am making it with homemade strawberry coconut ice cream. This is such a fabulous idea with chocolate! Thanks for sharing!

Pretty. Good. Food. March 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Mmmmm! Lookin’ delicious :)

AmyS March 5, 2011 at 5:48 pm

This. Is. AWESOME!

Nicole March 5, 2011 at 8:43 pm

This so reminds me of my childhood!!!
Outside our school by the gates, there was always this guy a.k.a. “Manong” who sells dirty ice cream. For 5 pesos, you can buy a cone of assorted flavor usually cheese, chocolate and vanilla. Manong using his spade expertly shaped it into rose and dipped it into this chocolately mixture just like this one but only thinner. The rose shaped ice cream would be blanketed with this thin crisp chocolate mixture perfect for after school dessert! :D

Irvin March 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm

That sounds so cool! I love the idea of rose shaped ice cream! Glad that I inspired the nostalgia.

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living March 6, 2011 at 4:32 am

I love the progression of photos in this post! I haven’t had magic chocolate shell ice cream in ages, and now I’m totally craving some.

susan March 6, 2011 at 7:10 am

I am thanking you in advance for winning brownie points and kisses from my kids. I love using coconut oil-pair it with chocolate and we are in business!

Emma March 6, 2011 at 10:42 am

So much fun!

JulieD March 6, 2011 at 11:06 am

This is awesome! I love your photographs and the wordless recipe. I can’t wait to see more.

Redawna March 6, 2011 at 11:12 am

Its like magic……..only better!

Sometimes words are not needed!
Love the post!

pickyin @ LifeIsGreat March 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Hi Irvin, found you through Twitter. Absolutely dig your Wordless Recipe concept, looking forward to more. I’m a sucker for this chocolate shell ice cream (sadly from McDonalds) and now I can make my own. Great stuff!

Irvin March 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I didn’t know that McDonald’s even did chocolate coated cones! I used to get them from Dairy Queen. But when you tries these, trust me, they taste WAY better than any fast food establishment treat.

Shannon Carter March 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

If you can’t do the ready-made cones (because of gluten or simply by choice), something else to try is making a chocolate bowl for your ice cream… (I haven’t personally tried this, but a friend of mine was studying to be a professional chef, and made this for my dessert when she cooked me dinner one time.)

Blow up a small balloon, dip it in melted chocolate (maybe a few times?), and place on a parchment-coated cookie sheet in the freezer. When the chocolate is set, pop the balloon and remove it, but keep the bowl frozen until ready to serve.

Irvin March 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm

The brand Let’s Do Organic, which are the ice cream cones I used, makes a gluten free ice cream cone.

That said, I’ve totally made ice cream bowls in the manner you’ve suggested. They are surprisingly easy and super fun to make (and impressive to whomever you are serving them to). You don’t need to dip it several times, but just make sure there’s enough chocolate on all sides to form a large enough “bowl”. Also make sure to not use too large a balloon, and to let chocolate chill long enough to solidify before popping the balloon.

Emmie March 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

Best thing ever!!!!!!!!!!

marla March 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Super fun guys – dang that is a lot of photos. Well worth the ice cream treat during and after ;)

Nimisha March 11, 2011 at 11:15 pm

love, love this wordless idea! plus, a dessert I can make-winning!

annelies March 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm

The photos are fantastic & especially the pensive expressions that came with the breaking of the magic shell.

Nancy Baggett March 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

Well, you are just so creative and clever and funny, Irvin–all that and charming, to. I am blown away by this! AND the recipe actually looks like something I would really enjoy making and eating. Now the trick is–can you do a recipe for Devil’s Food cake or perhaps buttercream-filled French macarons without words?

Irvin March 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

Ahh. That IS the trick isn’t it? Stay tuned to see what recipes I take on next…

Lea April 13, 2011 at 11:10 am

That looks yummy!

Tania June 3, 2011 at 12:54 am

More wordless recipes please! Then a book… then come visit me in Australia and demonstrate in my kitchen… bring your leopard skin pants…

Tania June 3, 2011 at 12:55 am

I mean a book of wordless recipes.

Dawn @ Kitchen Lore July 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I love the recipe presentation!

DebZ July 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm

This is absolutely brilliant! I found your blog through the premiere issue of MasterChef magazine. Really, brilliant.

Stephanie @ 52 Kitchen Adventures July 25, 2011 at 8:16 am

I love this! What a clever and innovative way to blog a recipe.

Andrew @ Eating Rules September 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Well played, boys. Well played indeed.

Vicky February 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Mm, I can vouch for these bctuiiss as well – they're utterly delicious. I bet whoever received them was very happy!Congrats on the panel!

Allison November 10, 2011 at 6:52 pm

OMG the dipped cone is my absolute favorite summer treat! To make it myself with good quality chocolate oh Irvin you’ve helped me create heaven. No Words can explain my joy. Merci.

Irvin November 11, 2011 at 1:44 am

Thanks Allison. Glad you found it! Let me tell you I loved a good dipped cone when I was a kid, but with quality chocolate, it takes them to a whole new level…

Bonnie January 24, 2012 at 4:49 am

Mmmmm. This looks yummy. LOVE dark chocolate. I’ve actually been wanting a recipe to use for chocolate dipped bananas. I’m going to give this a try. Thanks.

Nancy April 1, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I am so happy to see how to REALLY do this. Many years ago as a young bride I tried to make hot fudge sauce for my husband. I didn’t have the right ingredients so I substituted somethings. It wound up hardening in the bowl, cementing the spoon to the bottom and the ice cream melted underneath. I have never lived that down. I am happy to report that it remains my worst kitchen disaster ever, so I haven’t done that bad over the years.

Carolyn O'Dell June 11, 2012 at 5:59 am

I do not know how to pull up your recipe for Make your own Magic Chocolate Shell. Also, do you have a recipe for butterscotch and cherry hard shell like the Dairy Queen chain serves?

Irvin June 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Hi Carolyn. If you go back and look at the photos in the post, you’ll notice that they themselves are the recipe. Just follow the step-by-step photos to create the magic chocolate shell. If you need to, you can download a PDF of the photos to print out and use in your kitchen. The link to download the PDF is at the bottom of my post.

As for the flavored hard shells, I am afraid I do not have a recipe for those. My guess is that they use a combination of coconut oil, edible wax and artificial flavorings, which I usually try to avoid and would be difficult to recreate in the home kitchen. However, if you come across a recipe online for those, please come back and share it with me!

CoJoRo May 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

I’m embarrassed to admit this, but I can’t tell the sizes of your measuring spoons. The closer one looks like it is a tablespoon but I can’t tell with the second and I can’t read it in the photo. Help a poor-sighted gal out?

Irvin May 13, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Sorry about that! That’s the limitations of a wordless recipe. It’s 2 tablespoons of coconut oil!

Kala M. August 19, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Is it possible to store any leftovers (as unlikely as that probably is)? Or would it go bad and/or harden? I thought it would be nice to make a larger batch to keep on hand for my husband instead of having to make it each time he wanted ice cream. But that might not be possible.

Viola September 28, 2013 at 1:45 am

i was wondering how many tablespoons of sauce did you manage to get on one cone?

Anna (Morsels & Musings) November 23, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Love these wordless recipes. Such a clever idea.

Kelsey March 6, 2014 at 2:47 am

Howdy would you mind letting me know which web host you’re working with?

I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider
at a reasonable price? Cheers, I appreciate it!

Karen April 1, 2014 at 7:54 pm

“You’re killin’ me Smalls!”

That would Hit. The. Spot.!