Comfort Food = Chicken Pot Pie.

by Irvin on March 22, 2010 · 7 comments

Chicken Pot Pie by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Sometimes, just sometimes (and definitely not all the time) I feel the need to cook. Not Bake. Cook. Sustenance. Comfort. Food.

It’s the soothing prep of chopping and putting everything out in bowls – the “mise en place” (as all the professional chefs call it, and what anyone who’s ever read a book by Anthony Bourdain will know as the “meez”). It’s the need to slice, chop and mince everything and prepare all the ingredients and to have the satisfaction that I made the food. Not someone else. Me. Just me. Nothing processed. No preservatives. Just food. Real food.

The problem was I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make. AJ is taking a photography lighting class this semester and so he gets home around 9:30pm and usually we just order take out/delivery because I don’t feel like cooking alone.

Because when you think about it, it’s much more fun to cook with someone else than it is to cook by yourself. Most of the time.

But I decided on Thursday that I wanted to make dinner on my own. So I decided to go tackle the grocery story afterwork – something I HATE to do. Everyone goes to the grocery story after work and in the end you just have to fight for what you want (if they haven’t already sold out of it). And on the way there, I realize I knew what I was going to make.

Chicken Pot Pie. I usually make it once or twice a year. It’s one of those comfort foods that requires a lot of prep work, making the crust, chopping and mincing the vegetables, cooking the chicken and making the roux all before you can stick in the oven to bake to golden perfection.

Plus I had thought I was going to make it on Sunday for Pie Day, but that didn’t happen. Also, one of the best things about chicken pot pie is you can use up whatever vegetables you have floating around the house, and I had some carrots and celery in the bottom of the fridge that I made AJ buy for stock that I never got around to making.

Side Note 1. That’s right. I make my own stock. I’m badass that way. But also I’m lazy, so that means I haven’t really gotten around to making it. But I have the ingredients for it just in case I want to. Or, what that really means is that I have the ingredients for some other dish that I have to figure out before the stock ingredients go bad (because I don’t have room to freeze them as the freezer is filled up with turkey carcasses that I am saving to make said stock).

Side Note 2. You’ll notice that there are celery pieces on the left side of the dish only in the photo below. That’s because, inexplicably, AJ hates celery. So I put it on one side of the dish only. Because I’m that accommodating a boyfriend.

So the carrots and celery (as well as some aging asparagus) can go in to the pot pie. Yay! Because I may be lazy, but I’m also cheap, and loathe to throw away food. Something about starving people in Africa and the current bad economy I guess…

Note: Whilst baking, I was listening to Noah & the Whale’s The First Days of Spring (which is a great album, but kinda depressing as it’s pretty much a narrative about a breakup), and Andrew Bird’s Noble Beast (which is great, but a little too carefully thought out. I prefer Armchair Apocrypha personally, but I keep on listening to Noble Beast hoping it will somehow break through more).

Rita March 23, 2010 at 1:43 am

I'm doing this.

Just reading it has made me so happy. Thank you.

Sara W.E. March 23, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Sounds delicious! But please note: You DO NOT want to use "whatever's around" in my fridge. My aging vegetables are currently liquefying and out of guilt and laziness, I just leave them there… taunting me.

Mr. Jackhonky March 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm

@Rita. Or you could just wait until AJ and I come down. We can make it for you.

@Sara. Um. Yeah, I guess that would be true. There is definitely a point of no return for vegetables. That said, rotting vegetables are the reason why I LOVE composting. I can compost them and not feel as guilty that I am throwing food away….

petoke April 7, 2010 at 4:28 am

Do you use any sort of thingamabob to chop/cut your vegetables, etc? I was wondering that today, since I've started cooking for the first time in my life. I diced some cabbage (I think that's the right word), and it took forever and now I have carpal tunnel.

I love chicken pot pie. I mean, the me of 20 years ago does. Sometimes I would buy a little mini-one from the grocery store and eat it during the day when no one was around.

Also, it seems like in the midwest, "chicken pot pie" was a term you heard all the time. I haven't heard those words here in several years.

Mr. Jackhonky April 9, 2010 at 7:34 am

@Petoke – I use this thingamabob called a chef's knife. I highly recommend it.

Snarkiness aside, I actually love my chef's knife. I use a Global 7" and has a nice balance. I totally recommend a good knife – one that fits your hand comfortably (if you use a knife who's handle it too big or is wrongly balanced for you, your hand will get tired easily).

Keep it SHARP. Minosharp makes an awesome cheap knife sharpener, and I pretty much try to sharpen every time I do a lot of chopping, mincing and dicing.

And I think because I'm originally from the midwest, chicken pot pie is a total comfort food for me. Maybe you should start eating at Marie Callender's more often. I can probably guarantee that you'll hear the words "chicken pot pie" all the time…

Rita April 24, 2010 at 11:26 am

Irvin–

Well now that you've offered to make it for me I'm not doing this!!
I may, though, have to stop at Mare Callendar's to tide me over. Though, as I recall, the last time I tried it there was a letdown.

Shoot. I just read your blog entry again. I'm still doing it.

But I want you to make it for me, too!!

Kim February 28, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Omg. Just made this pot pie. The crust is soooo good It reminded me of Thanksgiving. I know it says it serve 8, but 5 of us finished it. What a lovely comfort food. Will definitely make this again!