Huevos Rancheros is an easy-to-make Mexican farm-style egg dish with homemade salsa. It’s packed full of flavor and is the perfect start to your day!
This post was sponsored by Muir Glen, Whole Foods and the Feed Feed. I was compensated for this post and for developing the recipe. However, all opinions below are completely my own.
Growing up in the suburbs of the Midwest, I had very little experience with Mexican food that didn’t come from a chain restaurant. It wasn’t until I moved out to California some 20+ years ago that I discovered huevos rancheros, an eggs and salsa dish that was on nearly every breakfast and brunch menu here in San Francisco. Since then, I’ve had it a dozen different ways, from eggs and salsa with the tortillas on the side, to eggs baked into the tomato salsa itself (not unlike a Mexican version of shakshuka) to the classic preparation of eggs on tortilla with the rancheros salsa sauce over the entire thing. It’s this classic version, a variation of a vegetarian breakfast tacos, that I tend to gravitate toward, despite loving all the others. My only regret…not learning about about huevos rancheros earlier!
What is Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos rancheros translates to “Rancher’s Eggs” and are a typical breakfast dish that is made for a mid-morning meal in rural Mexican farms. Though there are many variations, the most common one that I’ve found again and again on menus include a lightly fried corn tortilla, smothered with refried beans with an over easy or sunny side up egg on top. The ranchero salsa sauce is then added, which is made of tomatoes, chili peppers, onions and garlic.
I’ve made mine the classic way, including some cilantro as garnish because I love cilantro. That said, I know cilantro is a polarizing ingredients, so feel free to leave it out or substitute flat leaf parsley in its place.
How do you make Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos rancheros is a rustic dish that is easy to make! First you make the salsa by pureeing Muir Glen’s fire roasted petite cut tomatoes with a 1/4 onion, a serrano chile, some oregano and chili powder in a blender or food processor. Then sauté some chopped garlic and simmer the salsa a bit on the stove to reduce it.
While the salsa is reducing, I heat up some refried beans (I used store-bought canned for ease, but you can use homemade if you wish). Pan fry some corn tortillas and fry up the eggs.
Then assemble it all! Plate the tortilla, smear some refried beans over it, add the egg and smother with salsa. Salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle some cilantro leaves over the whole thing if you want to get fancy. Breakfast, Mexican farm style, is served!
What can you put on Huevos Rancheros
The basic huevos rancheros has just corn tortilla, egg and salsa on top. I’ve added refried beans under the egg on top of the tortilla, which is also a common addition, along with a sprinkling of cilantro. But as the dish has migrated to the U.S., folks have started evolving it. Here are some suggested additions that I’ve seen on huevos rancheros on menus all over.
- Cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- Sliced green onions (usually just the green part)
- Chopped chives
- Avocado slices or cubes
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
- Cojita, an aged Mexican cheese
- Fresh grilled corn kernels
- Sliced black olives
Why use canned tomatoes?
I love fresh tomatoes but for this recipe I opted to use Muir Glen’s fire roasted tomatoes. They’re already chopped and have a smoky charred flavor to them. More importantly, tomatoes aren’t in season all year round, but when I use canned tomatoes, I know I’m getting tomatoes picked and canned at their prime season. This way I can have the best huevos rancheros all-year round.
Can I make huevos rancheros ahead?
Huevos rancheros really tastes best when it’s made fresh. Fried eggs just don’t sit very well! But you can totally make the salsa ahead of time. In fact, if you want to make a double batch of the salsa, you can make it ahead of time, using half of it one day and then the rest a few days later. The salsa will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days in an air tight container.
Can you freeze the salsa?
Yes! This salsa freezes well. Just double the recipe and reserve half of it for another time. Let the salsa cool to room temperature than place it in an airtight container or ziplock bag. Freeze it (don’t forget to label it with a date) up to 2 months. Just thaw it out again in the refrigerator overnight. The salsa might seem more watery, so just reduce it again on the stove as you warm it up.
If you like this huevos rancheros recipe, check out some of these other Mexican-inspired recipes:
- Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos with Mushrooms
- Esquites, Mexican Corn Salad
- Spicy Guacamole with grilled avocado and corn
- Mole Chicken Wings, with lime tequila marinade
Check out where the closest Whole Food is to your place at http://bit.ly/wf-stores to stock up on Muir Glen tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 medium serrano pepper, chopped can sub a jalapeño
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 14.5 ounce can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more as needed
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans canned or homemade
- 4 large eggs
- cilantro leaves for garnish, optional
- 1 lime cut into wedges, optional
- Place the chopped onions, serrano pepper, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt in a blender or food processor. Add the canned tomatoes and blend until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan until it starts to shimmer, then add the garlic. Cook for 10 to 15 seconds until it starts to smell fragrant. Don’t let it brown. Add the tomato puree and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and let cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until salsa has darkened a bit and thickened.
- While the salsa is reducing, place the olive oil in a medium skillet. Heat until it starts to shimmer, then place 1 tortilla in the oil. Cook until the edges start to brown and harden a bit, flipping the tortilla to make sure both sides are fried. You don’t want to fry the tortilla completely hard, just crisp it up slightly. Remove from oil and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain it a bit. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, stacking the tortillas on top of each other with a paper towel in between.
- Once the tortillas are fried, plate them. Heat the refried beans in a microwave safe bowl or on the stovetop in a small pan. Smear about 1/4 cup of refried beans on each tortilla.
- Cook the eggs by reheating the remaining oil in the same pan you fried the tortillas in. Crack an egg into the pan, making sure there is enough hot oil to fry the egg white crispy. Fry to your desired doneness (I prefer over easy). Remove egg and place on the refried beans. Repeat with the remaining eggs, adding more oil if necessary.
- Top the fried eggs with the warm salsa. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, then garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with lime wedges.
Mary Nixon says
Irvin, I can not wait to try this. I’ve loved Muir Glen canned tomatoes since hearing about them on America’s Test Kitchen site. Like you, I (an East Coaster) did not discover Mexican food till moving to Los Angeles. Thanks for all the upbeat posts and wonderful recipes. You bring joy to my day!
Oh my God! I love chicken eggs and all dishes with their contents and this new recipe just made me crazy, I cooked it every day for a week. I got so carried away that I forgot to write an essay. I had to look for an essay writer to do this job. I found a great professional and now I turn every time as needed.
visit website says
Huevos rancheros (translated as “poultry eggs”) are fried eggs served on hot fried corn tortillas, along with salsa. The dish is easy to make, and tastes great with fried beans, butter, Mexican rice and guacamole.
Huevos rancheros are fried eggs served on fried corn tortillas
I user home made tomatoes and it test was so yummy. Thank a lot for a wonderful recipe.
vex 3 says
The food is very delicious and nutritious. I really like this dish.
vin lookup says
The food is very delicious and nutritious. I really like this dish.
I honestly don’t know about you, but I liked the blog. To whom this topic is interesting, I want to advise the service that helped me
The food is very delicious and nutritious. I honestly don’t know about you, but I liked the blog. To whom this topic is interesting, I want to advise the service that helped me
To whom this topic is interesting, I want to advise the service that helped me I user home made tomatoes and it test was so yummy. Thank a lot for a wonderful recipe.
I want to advise the service that helped me I user home made tomatoes and it test was so yummy. Thank a lot for a wonderful recipe.
Thank you for the dish! This food is very delicious and nutritious. I really like this dish.
Md. Salman says
Its look very delicious and nutritious. Thank you.
Kate Miller says
An eternal question about children is, how should we educate them? Politicians and educators consider more school days in a year, more science and math, the use jetwriting.com of computers and other technology in the classroom, more exams and tests, more certification for teachers, and less money for art.
Bear in mind that, although you are answering a question, you are writing to engage a reader’s
interest so try to combine thorough, factual, research with an engaging and interesting style – it
is your aim to compile an essay that will both inform and entertain. Think of the engagement of your
reader’s interest as a challenge which your essay will meet. Remember, your essay will be one of
many that is read by your tutor/teacher/examiner and making your work stand out is an obstacle to
Hey. interesting post, I like it. Did you know about the existence of a resource top essay brands reviews for writing the best articles and essays on various topics? now you will know. guys are professionals in their field. recommend them to everyone!
Eva John says
Patience is as important for any writer. Patient attitude payforessay.net/ is not only about the creative process itself. A professional is always ready to wait for work and then complete the task faster than the specified deadline.
Kira Cook says
The writer must remember that their work should always have an idea. And thinking should not be standard, full of stereotypes, but original, sometimes even paradoxical.
They have to be a psychologist and philosopher. It must reveal to the reader all the nuances of human relationships, life’s problems and the very essence of man.
Wiki Contributors says
I have this Beautiful book, images are soo beautifully taken, and the presentation way is soo good that attract me, I cook a lot from this
word counter says
Md. Salman says
Looks fresh. The food is very delicious and nutritious.
cookie clicker says
I have this lovely book; the photographs are so well-taken, and the format is so appealing that it draws me in; I cook a lot from it.
Salman aslam says
I have this Beautiful book, images are soo beautifully taken, and the presentation way is soo good that attract me, I cook a lot from this;AnyToISO Professional Crack
Sara Jampen says
Thank you for sharing this information and your experience!