Crumpet Recipe, or what I do when AJ goes cycling.

by Irvin on August 11, 2014 · 23 comments

Tender, chewy and moist, this lemon scented crumpet recipe is easy to make and worlds better than any store bought crumpet.

Crumpet Recipe with Lemon. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

My partner AJ and I live very different lives, though obviously there are major overlaps. We’re lucky that we both love road trips, travelling to new places, camping and hiking. We can both tolerate skipping a night or two of showering (though I draw the line at 3 days, he can probably go one more day longer if pushed). And we both hate mosquitoes (though, in all honesty, who likes them?). But we also drastically diverge in some of our interest. For instance, this past weekend, AJ decided to do the Mount Tam Double Century bicycle ride. This ride happens to include 200 miles of cycling, all in one day, with 15,000 feet of climbing. Yes, that’s fifteen THOUSAND feet of climbing with a bike – about half the height of Mount Everest (which is roughly 29,000 feet high). What did I do? I stayed at home and learned how to make crumpets – a lemon scented crumpet recipe to be exact. Because I’m wacky and badass that way. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

How to make crumpets. Recipe and photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

AJ’s love of cycling borders on the ridiculous. People often ask me if I go cycling with him or if I have any desire to go cycling with him. I usually answer with an emphatic NO. I mean, AJ thinks nothing of going out and cycling a 100 miles in a day. I don’t even like driving 100 miles in a day. And that’s just me sitting in a seat, pushing a gas pedal with my foot. The idea of pedaling under my own power, sounds less than appealing.

My partner AJ, who loves to cycle. Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

Of course, when we were on our roadtrip, my friend Jen of the fabulous blog Use Real Butter somehow conned me into renting a mountain bike so we could go biking in Crested Butte, Colorado. And, to be honest, I had a blast on it. AJ was even more thrilled about it. Though he didn’t really ride with us (he went off with Jen’s husband Jeremy who is much more of a mountain biker) the few times that we met up had him taking constant pictures of me on the bike, a novel experience for him.

AJ couldn't help but take a million photos of me on a bike. Photo by AJ Bates of Eat the Love.

Of course, that 12-mile bike ride in Crested Butte immediately got AJ scheming and thinking about getting me to go for longer rides with him. He’s been talking about doing a cross-country bike trip for awhile and apparently my little bike ride seemed to be the jumping off point for me to join him in his insane trip across this great nation, all 3000 miles of it. I love the logic of how he thinks. In the meanwhile, I’ll just stick to baking crumpets and the like at home, while he goes on his 200 mile ride. We’ll see if I jump back on a bike anytime soon.

Crumpet Recipes by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love.

If you’re looking for something to serve with this crumpet recipe, try these various recipes from around the web:
David Lebovitz’ Improved Lemon Curd
The Culinary Life’s Clotted Cream, Stovetop Method
The Year in Food’s Orange Marmalade
Love and Olive Oil’s Chocolate Raspberry Jam
Recipe Girl’s Blueberry Refrigerator Jam

Chelsea August 11, 2014 at 7:55 am

You are totally wacky and badass! My husband and I are this way about his running. I asked him once whether it would make him happy if I went running with him, and was so relieved when he said no! I’d also rather be in the kitchen.
I love a good crumpet. I especially like them topped with salted butter and honey, though that can get a bit sticky if you don’t eat them fast enough…

Irvin August 15, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Salted butter and honey sounds fabulous on these crumpets! I’ll have to try that next. I put that combo on bagels all the time…

Lori @ RecipeGirl August 11, 2014 at 8:14 am

These look soooo good! I’ve never made crumpets! Something to try soon, for sure :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 11, 2014 at 9:45 am

Crumpets make me so happy!! Love this recipe :)

Pat Fusco August 11, 2014 at 10:47 am

Stay off the bike and in the kitchen as long as you produce beauties like these. I adore crumpets, especially when the butter runs out of the holes and on to my fingers. The lemon is an interesting touch, Irvin. Thanks.

Irvin August 15, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Right? There is something about the holes in the crumpets that hold onto the butter and jam that make crumpets extra special.

Mallory @forkvsspoon August 11, 2014 at 6:15 pm

My first crumpet was in Seattle. As was my second and third. So delicious! I like splitting them as well, more surface area for that jam!

Marisa Franca @ All Our Way August 12, 2014 at 3:23 am

Our first attempt at an English Muffin – is that the same as a crumpet? was a dismal failure. We were looking for the nice holes and a good chew! The ones we got were just edible. But yours look really good – I hate to admit defeat so we’ll have to try them again. I have a question for you Irving — say there was some fantastic chef at the top of a mountain — he likes his solitude and to cook. But he was going to let you stay with him and cook fantastic things. AJ is invited too. Would you attempt that bike trip up there if that was the only way to go?? There is a luxury spa up there so you do get all the amenities once you’re up there. After all the famous chef does like his luxuries too.

Irvin August 15, 2014 at 10:49 pm

The English M=muffin is actually different than a crumpet. Hopefully I’ll get my recipe up for the English muffin some time. But crumpets are more chewy and have holes in them and are more moist. They also don’t have the cornmeal or the semolina crust that English muffins have.

And to answer your question absolutely! I’m not opposed to biking, in fact I really enjoyed my mountain biking when I was in Crested Butte. I’d just be REALLY slow about it so it might take awhile to bike up there. And I’d definitely make sure to take advantage of that luxury spa…

Teri August 12, 2014 at 6:36 am

Love your crumpet recipe ! Thank you for your fabulous writing and delicious recipes.

Christine at Cook the Story August 12, 2014 at 6:36 am

I’ve never seen such crumpet perfection! They look delicious!

Amy August 12, 2014 at 7:22 am

I can just taste their squishy-crunchy deliciousness …thanks!
I have rings but don’t make ‘em, now I will because I can trust the recipe.
(There used to be a crumpet shop on Irving St – can you say butter and maple butter? Mmmmmm!)

Thanks for the riding confessions. If you guys are ever in Bozeman, you & I can be hiking partners and AJ can ride the mountains w/my hubby. That way we’ll save time for the important stuff to happen in the kitchen!

A

Irvin August 15, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Sounds like a plan! I just need to get out to Bozeman! AJ and I somehow skipped Montana on our roadtrip last year, and I’ve been wanting to go there. I hear it’s beautiful! Especially Glacier National Park.

Kevin | keviniscooking August 12, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Irvin, those Crested Butte images look so peaceful, what a great shot of the trees behind you on that road. My hubby Dave and I are doing Bike the Bay, our 3rd marathon ride, here in San Diego that is the only time one can ride over the Coronado bridge in anything other than a vehicle, but that is the limit for me. AJ crushes it!
As for those crumpets, they look equally amazing and delicious!

Irvin August 15, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Bike the Bay sounds great. I might even do that! But yeah, Aj totally crushes me, and pretty much everyone else that I know…

elizabeyta August 14, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Yum! I do a baked version because I am lazy that way. I may have to try this recipe that way. I had an acquaintance who rode from Seattle to Houston, through Minneapolis (?). After reading his experience, my suggestion would be to ride across the US like my mother walked across England, at about 10 miles a day. Obviously, I am with you about riding across the US.

Irvin August 15, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Ha! 10 miles a day would be REALLY slow. I think it would take all year. But that’s probably a more reasonable rate for me…

Also, did your mother really walk across England? How cool is that!

elizabeyta August 16, 2014 at 5:13 am

Yes, she did. There are organized walks and it took about a month. She wants to do a walk across Wales next.

Arthur in the Garden! August 15, 2014 at 8:18 am

I am a wuss. I don’t like getting sweaty in public. I will work in the garden all day but must be clean and fresh if I and about town and run into people! Otherwise, making crumpets sounds safer, too! Crazy car drivers do not give cyclist enough room on the roads. :-)

Irvin August 15, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I don’t even work in a garden! How’s that for sad?

Shikha @ Shikha la mode August 15, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I’m with you, let’s just stay at home and bake up a storm. When everyone else gets done exercising, they’ll be hungry and thankful!

Maria Lopez August 19, 2014 at 3:19 am

Nice post..amazing pictures! thank you for sharing..:)

merri September 11, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I didn’t use to like crumpets until i tried the ones they sell at whole foods. they’re so good! yours are probably even way better…lemon yum. That is a TON of cycling, AJ. I would not be able to do even a fraction.