Pok Pok Wings Recipe – the start of chicken wings week!

by Irvin on January 20, 2014 · 11 comments

You need this Pok Pok Wings Recipe, based on the much beloved Pok Pok Wings! Crisp and tasty wings packed full of sweet, spicy, umami flavor in every bite!

Pok Pok Wings Recipe. Photo and Recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

“So I think I’m going to do a chicken wings week here on Eat the Love…” I said to AJ, floating the idea by him to get his feedback. I had taken last week off from blogging, mostly because I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather (darn sinus infection) and I need a break from the blog. AJ’s response was “I think I like that project!” not surprising as AJ has a minor obsession with wings. I figured he’d be up for it. First up on my recipe list was tackling the awesome Pok Pok wings recipe. Based on the famed Thai restaurant in Portland Oregon, the Pok Pok wings are what made Pok Pok so insanely popular. The funny thing about it was they aren’t even Thai, the wings recipe is based on a Vietnamese street food recipe. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Pok Pok Wings. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

I’m not one to quibble about country origin for a recipe. Some people will argue about the origin of where a recipe comes from and what it should be called. All I really care about is whether the chicken wings are fabulous. I had them up in Portland way back in 2010 when I first visited my friend Sue and Tony. AJ and I were instructed by many a friends to go to Pok Pok and it definitely didn’t disappoint. Of course, I was happy to get their wings again when I went up this past September for the fabulous Feast Portland Event. You can’t go wrong with the salty, sweet and spicy chicken wings.

Pok Pok Wings Recipe. Recipe and Photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Luckily Andy Ricker, owner of Pok Pok had released a cookbook with his famed wings recipe in it. Not that it’s hard to find the recipe, as it’s all over the internet. But the cookbook itself is pretty awesome – full of gorgeous photos and other great recipes. Of course, after making the recipe as is from the book I realized I needed to do a little tweaking for my own tastes. The result was a recipe you can make at home that were darn good, so good that AJ declared them the favorite of the bunch that I made for my Chicken Wings week. Of course, he also said that about pretty much every batch of wings I made for the week. He’s fickle that way.

Pok Pok Wings. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Be sure to visit Eat the Love all this week. I’ll be posting a new chicken wings recipe each day from today until Friday, January 24, 2014.

If you like these Pok Pok Wings, check out these other Vietnamese inspired chicken dishes
Cookin’ Canuck’s Vietnamese Caramel Ginger Chicken
White on Rice Couple’s Garlic Chicken Spring Rolls
Chez Us’ Vietnamese Cabbage and Chicken Salad
Foodie Crush’s Pho Ga Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup
Closet Cooking’s Grilled Lemongrass Chicken

Belinda @zomppa January 20, 2014 at 9:55 am

I’m DROOLING…too bad…I was looking forward to some good wings for the Super Bowl, but now that the Pats are out (and guess for you, too)….

Irvin January 22, 2014 at 1:02 am

Right?!?! I’d like to say I’m totally bummed that the Niners are out, but since I don’t really follow football, I guess it’s not that big a deal for me. But I like it when the party is in my own hometown so in that case I’m sad…

Lillian | Sweets by Sillianah January 20, 2014 at 1:32 pm

oh man, I feel SO bad for AJ – wings every day for a week!? ;) Seriously, what a brilliant idea…I could live off wings. These look amazing…can’t wait to see what’s coming for the rest of the week!

Miss Kim @ behgopa January 20, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Mouthwatering pics! I want to totally make these. Can’t wait to see more wings recipes either.

MyMansBelly January 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Shut The Front Door! I’m not normally a wings person…but these look too good to pass up.

Nancy A. January 21, 2014 at 3:07 am

Glad you are feeling better! Missed you last week. Love the chicken wing week idea!

Carrie Oliver January 21, 2014 at 9:11 am

A group of us paid a small fortune to cab over to Pok Pok during the IACP conference only to find it was closed that day. What a let down. Curious what adaptations you made for your readers?

Irvin January 22, 2014 at 12:53 am

Oh no! That’s so sad. Pok Pok lives up to the hype (though it’s been a few years since I’ve been to the restaurant). The original recipe from the cookbook used a dry rice flour/tempura mix (pre-mixed from a box) that you coat the chicken with after you marinate it in fish sauce overnight. I tried that version but I liked making the wet batter mix better. It creates a crisp coating that soaks up the sauce.

It’s slightly different from the Pok Pok version for sure, as the restaurant version is more of a caramelized coated chicken wing. But I think my version has a better balance of sweet, spice and umami-ness without being overly salty. The original Pok Pok version is pretty salty (in a good way).

Shikha @ Shikha la mode January 22, 2014 at 10:44 am

These look heavenly. I’m going to Portland next month for the first time and can’t wait to try Pok Pok!

Denise January 24, 2014 at 5:39 pm

DAMN! You are crushing it this week – have been licking my screen every morning when I open my reader. Loving all these versions of wings and cannot decide which to try first. We have had the Pok Pok ones during a trip to Portland, so I am thinking we should give another one a whirl. Immediately.

Thank you for the shout-out as well. Always appreciated!!

Betty Ann @Mango_Queen January 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm

This is my kind of recipe. I love all the flavors you have in this one. Even if it wasn’t Game Day, I’d still make these wings for appetizers or even an entree. Thanks for sharing!