Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Blueberries and Crystallized Ginger

by Irvin on December 9, 2013 · 12 comments

Looking for an oatmeal cookie recipe? These Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Blueberries and Crystallized Ginger are as tasty as they are easy to make!

Chewy Oatmeal Cookies by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

In the food world, there are often divides with people taking firm sides and loyalties. Savory & Salty vs Sugar & Sweet. Vegetarian & Vegan vs Meat Lovers & Bacon Obsessed. Pies vs Cakes. But let me propose a new divide, one that I’ve witnessed a lot of but isn’t talked about much. Oatmeal Cookies vs Chocolate Chip. And though I want to say that the clear winner in this competition would fall to the chocolate chipper, I have to admit that once I created this Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Blueberries and Crystallized Ginger I may have been swayed to the dark side. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

A stack of chewy oatmeal cookies with dried blueberries and crystallized ginger. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin. www.eatthelove.com

Of course, AJ doesn’t hold any real allegiances when it comes to cookies. As much as he loves chocolate (and boy, does he LOVE his chocolate) he’s also completely and utterly obsessed with oatmeal. Every single day he eats it for breakfast (along with a customized granola that I specifically tailor for his taste buds) so it stands to reason that he would love a great oatmeal cookie. Which explains why whenever I bake them, they pretty much disappear immediately.

You need these chewy oatmeal cookies in your life! Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

The nice thing about the oatmeal cookie though, is that you can play around with them, more so than chocolate chip. Sure you can deviate from the normal chocolate chip, by adding orange zest, using brown butter or let it cure in the fridge for a few days. In fact there are whole books dedicated to the wonders of the chocolate chip cookie. But at the end of the day it’s really all about the chocolate. The oatmeal cookie though? It’s about the mix ins; from the standard raisins to dried cherries or dried apples chunks to the ones that I just whipped up with dried blueberries and ginger. A different dried fruit or spice and you have completely different creature. It’s like the blank slate of cookie dough.

Stacks and stacks of chewy oatmeal cookies with dried blueberry and crystallized ginger. Photo and recipe by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

These, however, these marvelous chewy and spicy cookies are worth making as is. A touch of nutmeg, a dash of ground ginger and loads of brown sugar make these cookies the sort of thing that need to be in everyone’s kitchen. Easy, simple and fast the only drawback to these cookies are that will disappear fast, which means you’re bound to have to make them again.

The Oatmeal Cookie, with dried blueberries and ginger. Recipe and photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

If you like these oatmeal cookies, check out my oatmeal cookie other recipes:
Salted Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Multigrain Cookie
Maple Oat & Dried Cherry Shortbread Cookies (gluten free)
Rum Soaked Tropical Fruit Oatmeal Cookies
Chunky Chewy Whole Grain Toffee Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

And check out these other awesome oatmeal cookie recipes from around the web:
Averie Cooks’ Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Bake Your Day’s Coffee and Cream Oatmeal Cookies
Around My Family Table’s Mango Spiced Oatmeal Cookies
Lauren’s Latest’s Apple Oatmeal Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting
Healthy Delicious’ Oatmeal Cookies with Whiskey Soaked Cherries

irmina December 9, 2013 at 5:45 am

Deliciosas…
Me gustan mucho.

Ruthy @ Omeletta December 9, 2013 at 8:17 am

Is it weird that I’m not in either camp when it comes to oatmeal and chocolate chip? I’m an equal-opportunity lover of cookies, period :)
Also, my favorite way to eat oatmeal cookies is for breakfast and pretend it’s healthy because, you know, oatmeal!

Bee December 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I have crystalized ginger in my cabinet from cupcakes I made earlier this year….they are so going into some cookies STAT. This recipe looks super yummy!

Kim Beaulieu December 9, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I walk on the wild side and pay no attention to those divides. One day it’s vegan, the next day it’s meat, I swear I’m the distracted puppy of the foodie world. Squirrel.

I love these cookies. I am a blueberry nut and it would never have occurred to me to use the ginger like that with them. You’ve opened my eyes, I have to try these.

All the photos are spectacular but the one inside the recipe notes made me fall off my chair.

Claudia December 9, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Wow! One big reason I keep coming back is your “Wow! I never thought of that” factor. (The other is your writing.) I solve the chocolate chip v oatmeal cookie conundrum by adding chocolate chunks (and walnuts) to my oatmeal cookies. I combined elanaspantry ginger cookies with 101cookbooks triple ginger cookie recipe. I use almond flour, coconut sugar and dried, fresh and candied ginger. But ginger and blueberries? Inspired!

Aimee @ Simple Bites December 9, 2013 at 5:49 pm

OK, where were you when I hosted my cookie swap yesterday! We needed oatmeal cookies to represent. Oh well. I’ll have to bake a batch myself!

Pat December 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I am so glad to see the no-cinnamon list of ingredients since I’m tired of that flavor, over-used during Thanksgiving with all its pumpkin this-and-that. Nutmeg is one of my favorite spices and I love the balance of the add-ins. This is a good, homey recipe that will stand the test of time. Thanks!!

Kristin Nicole December 10, 2013 at 6:45 am

I have always loved oatmeal cookies, these pictures make me want to get in the kitchen and whip some up right now! ;)

Arthur in the Garden! December 10, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Yum!

Annie December 12, 2013 at 9:56 am

Why did I never think of that? What a fabulous combination that sounds like. Must try for our solstice potluck.

Aggie December 13, 2013 at 7:08 am

Oh how good do these look and sound! I love oatmeal cookies, the add ins in these are fantastic!

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 18, 2013 at 6:15 am

Irvin thanks for linking up to my Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies and yours look wonderful! I’m a huge fan of blueberries and ginger and chewy oatmeal cookies and I know these would be right up my alley! pinned