Photo Essay: OstrichLand in Solvang California

by Irvin on April 18, 2013 · 15 comments

Ostrich photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Driving down E. Highway 246, on my way to Solvang, CA, I casually glanced over to my right, my mind drifting and thinking of the aebleskivers that I will soon be enjoying, when I noticed large oddly shaped animals roaming the landscape. They looked almost like ostriches but I dismissed the idea that large flightless African birds would somehow be roaming the wild lands of central California. Then I spotted the sign loaming on the side of the road proclaiming OstrichLand in faded and peeling paint. I made a U-turn as soon as I could, and found myself turning into a peculiar tourist trap. For a mere $4 I was able to walk around and get up close to the ostriches and take photos to my heart content. It turns out ostriches are pretty cool looking up close as they are far away. Just don’t get too close, as they peck and bite!

Ostrich feet photo by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Chelsea April 18, 2013 at 7:48 am

omg look at them! I love the angle of the (5th? 6th?) photo – the ostrich head and neck stretching down to examine your lens… totally captures their prehistoric reptilian weirdness. They are wonderful freaky birds.

Irvin April 18, 2013 at 11:56 am

That photo nearly cost me a camera lens! I kept on putting my camera up close inbetween the fence and the curious ostriches kept on leaning down and trying to peck at the camera. I think they were just use to people sticking food through the fence…

That said, totally worth it. They are super crazy weird. I kind of wanted to go riding on one like the Swiss Family Robinson, but the farm frowned upon that sort of shenanigans.

Chelsea April 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm

hah!

The Suzzzz April 18, 2013 at 8:21 am

I love that Ostrichland has a random emu thrown in there for good measure.

Irvin April 18, 2013 at 11:57 am

Right? It threw me for a loop too. But apparently all large odd birds just sort of get grouped together.

Rita April 18, 2013 at 11:45 am

Beautiful. Just beautiful. The baby one has a head just like a baby penguin’s!

Wait–which one was an emu??

Irvin April 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

Do they? The babies are kind of ugly actually! The emu is the one that has the slight blue on the neck. It’s the one right under the first feet photo (maybe #7 or #8).

Rita April 18, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Oh! That’s the one I thought looked like a baby penguin! I thought the one under that was also an ostrich but at an older, more adolescent stage (like the face grew in).

So baby emus look like baby penguins!

Arthur in the Garden! April 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm

What?
No ostrich, emu, or rhea giant fried eggs and such?
:-)

Irvin April 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm

They didn’t sell and ostrich eggs! At least none that I could find in the gift shop. I mean they had the ostrich egg shell that were empty for “display” purposes. but nothing that I could take home and cook. Very disappointing.

Joann April 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

These birds are outrageously wonderful and humorous!!! Thank you for sharing!!! It made me smile!

Michelle Ritchie | Delicious Karma April 19, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Hilarious! And totally the kind of thing I LOVE…to find a random animal farm of some sort. I have been known to force friends (or my husband) off the road for petting and pictures. Great photos. And by the way, I think the babies are cute! :-)

Miss Kim @ behgopa April 19, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Yikes…I am terrified of any bird species. But nevertheless, beautiful pics! Can’t expect anything less from an award-winning photographer.

I saw one of these (or something that was very similar) running around on the I5 once driving from bay area to LA. Never seen any around that hwy, and it seemed to have migrated from somewhere else.

Deb April 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm

What a magnificent post! Just the smile I needed today :)

merri April 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm