Open Faced Brown Butter Spiced Apple Pie

by Irvin on February 4, 2013 · 14 comments

Open Faced Brown Butter Spiced Apple Pie by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

“I can’t believe you aren’t even going to watch the Super Bowl! We’re in it! It’s as if the city of San Francisco won the MacArthur Grant!” exclaimed my friend Peter as I tried to explain to him for the umpteenth time that I had NO interest in football. In truth, as a food blogger, I should have blogged about some sort of fabulous SF inspired Super Bowl food this past week. Local, heirloom bean dip or nachos made from artisan organic cheese and small-batch-made non-GMO corn tortilla chips, but instead I blogged about the easiest granola recipe ever and Yosemite National Park. And, true to form, I’m writing today about an open faced brown butter spiced apple pie, even though this pie probably should be posted in October or November when apples are most in season. I could wait nine months to post about this recipe but that’s not really how I work around here.

I’m not really a sports game watcher. I grew up in St. Louis in the 80s, which had a great baseball team, a good hockey team and a lousy football team which was sold to Arizona while I was in junior high school. St. Louis wouldn’t have another football team until I went to college, wherein we got the Rams, which was actually a decent team once they arrived in St. Louis but apparently were really lousy when they were in Los Angeles. Because of this, football to this day baffles me.

Which is all rather amusing to AJ who used to play football, and was quite good at it apparently. Of course, AJ doesn’t really like watching it so much, and he never really cared for playing it, even though he came from a family of football players (both his brothers went to school on football scholarships). Every time we watch a game (which admittedly is very rare) I constantly ask him a stream of questions. Why are they stopping now? What does that call mean? Why are they kicking the ball. I’m sure it’s very annoying but I can’t help it.

In the end, I spent Super Bowl Sunday happily working on a project of mine, as well as prepping for my trip to New York, for the Roger Smith Cookbook Conference. Apparently Baltimore won, which wasn’t who I would have wanted to win but I would be disingenuous if I said that I really felt one way or the other about it. But what I can say is that I really really love this apple pie. That’s a win-win situation for everyone.

Dave M. February 4, 2013 at 7:11 am

I can never get into the sports furor. It doesn’t seem sensible to put so much energy into following a team through the season when everyone gets a chance to do it all again next year. My parents actually get depressed when their team loses. Meanwhile, when I go to a game, I’m more interested in what tasty foods they’re serving at the concession stands. On that note, your pie looks amazing!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar February 4, 2013 at 8:38 am

This is absolutely gorgeous! Love this pie. It totally knocks my socks off.

Sarah | The Cyclist's Wife February 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

My Dad informed me that he was going to Costco as soon as the game started because it would be empty. I thought this was a brilliant idea. I used the time to make Smitten Kitchen’s soft pretzel’s. Cooking good food is better than football!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet February 4, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I only watch the Super Bowl for the food and the hot CK commercials. Did I mention the food? I love this tart. I have been making it for years and as I stare and drool over your photos I can smell the spiced brown butter simmering away on the stove. This is definitely one of those “keeper” recipes. I like that you kicked it up with whole wheat flour. I will be trying that next Christmas for sure. Happy Monday!!
xo
Heather

a farmer in the dell February 4, 2013 at 1:58 pm

i’m not into sports at all. But I am pretty sure I can become a huge fan of brown butter spiced apple pie. This looks to die for.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen February 4, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Ugh, football baffles me too. I went to a Super Bowl party last night specifically to eat queso and wings…and to watch Beyonce of course.

This pie is gorgeous!

Belinda @zomppa February 4, 2013 at 3:57 pm

This is definitely a win-win. I should have had this pie instead of what I ate…..

Chelsea February 5, 2013 at 7:41 am

I went to the grocery store on Saturday and the cashier asked me “who are you rooting for tomorrow?” and I could only think to say, “Excuse me?” I’m like you with a football game – constant questions, despite having spent most of my fall Friday nights in high school in the bleachers (I was in marching band. We had to be there). But this pie. This pie I would do the wave for. Is that corny? Good.

Arthur in the Garden! February 5, 2013 at 7:50 am

I can’t get into the sports thing either but I am begining to think you are evil as your desserts look so good and beach season is only a few months away!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen February 5, 2013 at 11:56 am

Just spectacular, Irvin! Have a safe and fab trip to NY for the cookbook conference! xo

Laura March 4, 2013 at 8:45 pm

This is gorgeous. And clearly delicious. :) Pinning now.

Morgan November 29, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I have been following your blog for a while and have been wanting to try one of your recipes, and Thanksgiving was the perfect opportunity! We made this apple pie for our family Thanksgivingakuh yesterday and it was AMAZING! I really loved the balance of flavors, felt like the perfect balance of sweet and tart and spice and comfort. And it looks pretty too! Thanks for the recipe!

Nora December 10, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Want to make this for Xmas – what variety of apples did you use?

Cukiernia Kielce April 30, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say,
I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing.
Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers?
I’d really appreciate it.