The only granola recipe you’ll ever need, plus a hike in Yosemite.

by Irvin on January 28, 2013 · 19 comments

How to Make Granola: the only homemade granola recipe you'll ever need. By Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

“Hand me the old person cereal…” said AJ as he stuck out his hand. I rummaged through my backpack and found the heavy duty freezer ziplock bag of granola that I had made a few days ago. AJ and I were in Yosemite National Park and had decided on doing what we optimistically thought was a moderate hike. Turns out when the guide books tell you that the hike is “challenging” you should believe it – even if you are from San Francisco, a city known for their hills. Nevertheless hiking to the top of the Upper Yosemite Falls was worth it, though we probably wouldn’t have made it if we hadn’t brought along plenty of water and snacks, including our favorite super insanely easy customizable homemade granola for power snacking. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Yosemite National Park by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

AJ and had actually talked about going to Yosemite for years. I had gone when I had first moved to SF with my first roommate while AJ had gone with friends, but we had never really made it over there together. This past year we decided to put it off no longer. We live in California, a state that has 25 national parks and countless other national treasure. We need to start taking advantage of where we live.

Yosemite National Park by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Of course, Yosemite isn’t just your average national park (if there is such a creature). It’s truly one of the crown jewels of the national park system, and it’s fairly impossible to visit there and not be utterly swept away by the landscape and the scenery. AJ and I joked that you could basically just point a camera in any single directions and you’ve got a spectacular picture. Lord knows we certainly did exactly that.

Yosemite National Park by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

We were lucky to stay in the valley, where we could wake up to sheer beauty. It was especially interesting for me, as I had absolutely no cell signal in the valley (nor anywhere in the park now that I think of it), which mean I couldn’t tweet, facebook or instagram a single thing. Being the social media crazed maniac that I am, it was hard not to share my scenery in real time with my virtual friends, but I learned to let go a bit and enjoy the unplugged disconnect from the world. It’s very rare, in this modern world, to get a chance to really just be in your surroundings without a care. I need to do it more often.

Yosemite National Park by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

The hike to the top of the Yosemite falls was spectacular. Exhausting yes, slightly scary at times absolutely (apparently I am NOT comfortable scrambling over sheer rocks the way AJ is), but oh so worth it. Sure we ended up slightly dehydrated from not bringing enough water (thank goodness for that hidden bottle at the bottom of my bag) and slightly sunburned (I knew I should have applied more often). But at the end of the day I have no regrets. How could I? I was at the top of Yosemite Falls, looking out over the valley, and just basking in the beauty. I never thought I would be that person, the one that goes on trips to hike and look at nature. Turns out, I am that person. And what a great way to discover it.

Yosemite National Park by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. www.eatthelove.com

Belinda @zomppa January 28, 2013 at 5:50 am

It’s stunning, isn’t it?? Did Hal’s dome last year, scary. Beautiful. Scary. Want old people cereal too.

BigFatBaker January 28, 2013 at 11:05 am

My sister and I (and my mom’s side of the family) was all born in California. When I was much younger my family used to take trips up to Yosemite from Foster City for an affordable weekend getaway. I LOVED it there. Now that I am getting ready to move back to California this summer I am thinking about all of these affordable things I can go and do. Visiting/hiking Yosemite is definitely at the top of my list. The bf and I will have fun hiking and eating your granola :)

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen January 28, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Irvin, I just LOVE how you deconstructed and rebuilt a classic granola recipe to which everyone can make their own. Pure genius, my man! I cannot help but stock up on jars and jars of Pecan Pumpkin Butter by Muirhead and stir it in with my honey & maple syrup combo with some brown sugar. (I’m seriously addicted to pumpkin-flavored granola, LOL!) Thanks SO MUCH for sharing. Pinning & tweeting! ♥ xoxo P.S. Even your cool graphic ROCKS!

a farmer in the dell January 28, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Beautiful photos. I have never been to Yosemite but definitely have that on my bucket list. this granola recipe looks fabulous!

Fran January 29, 2013 at 1:10 am

AJ is right: thanks for this recipe! :-) I found the right balance between sweetness and crunchiness. Beautiful places you visit!

kelly @ kellybakes January 29, 2013 at 10:49 am

Gorgeous photos! It’s been a gross, grey wintry mix of weather here in Philly; you’re making me wish for summer, sunshine and an afternoon spent outdoors. sigh. I think I need to make this with pistachio, almonds, flax, chia, apricots and cherries. (I’m like a little kid–the more colorful something is, the more likely I am to eat it :) As always, thanks for sharing with us, Irvin!

Pavlina January 29, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thank you for the PERFECT granola recipe!! I have been looking for one for ages – all of them were either too sweet, too soft and sticky or too dry.. this one is the ONE! Love the versatility that makes an amazing breakfast (tastes so gooood with sour cherries and dried prunes :)

Arthur in the Garden! January 30, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Its beautiful but I rather be in the city. Bears scare me! I mean the wild ones! :-)

EKougi January 30, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Yosemite photos look amazing, I can’t wait to go one day. It’s a bit difficult what with living in Western Australia and all but it’s definitely on my list of places to visit.

The weekend just gone, I stayed on a farm out in the country that had no phone reception, so I know what you mean about unplugging for a few days. It was exactly what I needed. I sometimes forget there was a time that when we walked out the front door of our homes no one could get in touch with us.

Good January 31, 2013 at 3:00 am

I love this post!!! That vastity is overwhelming, I can feel the Wind say “me and my mates are in charge here, so be careful!” Through those pictures!! And tanks so much for the gragnola reciepe, I don’t know what is happening to me lately, not only am I making bread and pizza and cake as usual, but I keep making cereal bars and stuff…maybe as you say I’m getting old.. But I’m 24 so it must be a head thing. And I despise exagerated sweetness too..MY SOUL IS GETTING OLD :D

Shannon | JustAsDelish February 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Love this post and how you deconstruct the photography..
I hope you don’t mind my sharing..
Actually our stomach will not dissolve whole flax seeds and many of them will come out in your stools. Flax seed should be ground to allow your body to fully digest nutrients..

Louise @ AncestralChef February 1, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Just saw your top photo over on G+ and wanted a better look here! I love it! It works so well on the white background of your blog page. And labeling the ingredients is so cute :)

Mary @ Fit and Fed February 4, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Gorgeous photos! I would like to take that hike someday. How nice for you to discover that you enjoyed the challenging hike and the views, that will be an experience you can keep including in your life. The granola looks worthy on or off the trail: I like the suggestions of pistachio and golden raisins as possible ingredients in your top photo.

Karen February 6, 2013 at 12:54 pm

My husband and I lived in Fresno for 3 years and regularly visited Yosemite as well as Sequoia National Parks. Now that we’re back in Boston, we really miss those canyons and trees!
I make a granola recipe that closely mirrors the one you provided but recently started adding about a cup of quinoa to the rolled oats. Quinoa should be rinsed to remove the soapy like covering before use, but try tossing it in with the other ingredients. It enhances the nutty flavor and texture of any granola. It also considerably amps up the protein content. Quinoa has the added advantage of being gluten free for those who are allergic.

Good April 4, 2013 at 7:59 am

I just made this!! The smell is incredible.. SO GOOD! The peanuts I used are coated with agave, a conbination I never tried..and my New favourite.
It looks perfect but a bit too tan..probably my oven was to hot ( I have 1-10, no temperatures on mine)
I will put some in a big costumized and tagged mason-jar and give it to my father-inlaw as gift. How long you figure does this stay edible?

Irvin April 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Agave covered peanuts sound great! You know, I’m not sure how long it will last as my partner eats it so fast! We certainly have had it around for a few weeks and it’s been fine. I’d say at least a month in an airtight container. Perhaps even longer, depending on the conditions (airtight, humidity, heat).

Good April 7, 2013 at 3:11 am

Ok I told him so. I just didn’t want him to keep it too long before eating it, and it to be bad then. Thanks very much. I’m eating what is left by the handfull directly out of the tupperware. I’m bad. : D

Natural Granola May 7, 2013 at 8:02 am

Thanks for sharing the story. Granola can be a simply and easy to make snack, and still be gluten free and vegan as well. Thanks again.

pozycjonowanie March 11, 2014 at 2:16 am

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your site.
You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a
good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off,
I’d really like to write some content for your blog in exchange
for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested.
Many thanks!