Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies with Toffee Bits for Garrett and Brian’s Wedding

by Irvin on October 8, 2012 · 20 comments

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies with Toffee Bits by Irvin Lin of Eat The Love

The text on my iPhone read “Brian says that he’ll marry you instead now. Home wrecker! You and your chocolately wiles.” I couldn’t be more amused or more pleased. Not because I was wrecking a home (who do you think I am?!?), but because the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies with Toffee Bits photo I had just taken with my ancient iPhone 3G (I really need to upgrade) and had texted to Garrett, of the blog Vanilla and Garlic, would cause such a reaction. Garrett was marrying his partner Brian in a couple of days and he had asked if I could bring something sweet to share with the guests at the wedding. I immediately said yes, but then went into a slight panic state, something apparently I do whenever Garrett asks me something. Of course, there was the slight pressure of this being his wedding (very important day). I also knew that numerous food bloggers were going to be there (they can be such a judgmental bunch). I didn’t want to disappoint them, or more importantly let down the happy couple. Thankfully the cookies I came up with seemed satisfactory for the event.

Garrett and Brian's Wedding by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love

Garrett has invited AJ and me to their wedding a few months previously. It was going to be a low-key affair, small and intimate, with close friends and family. We were honored to be invited and share in their special day. Garrett and Brian did everything they could to make it as fantastic as possible. From having it at an estate in Northern California near Sacramento (so gorgeous!) to the hilarious and touching ceremony in which the only reading during the ceremony was a piece by Neil Gaiman about UFO invasions and zombies, to watching the beautiful couple that were so in love, commit to each other in front of everyone that loved them and cared about them. The day seemed magical and never ending and filled with love and humor. In truth, it was the exact sort of wedding I expected from the man behind the lovely blog Vanilla and Garlic.

Garrett and Brian's Wedding by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love

Of course, with it being a food blogger’s wedding, there was food. Loads of food. Huge piles of food. More food than could feed an army (which is appropriate, as Brian is in the military – see how I worked that into this post?). The food was amazing, perfect, brilliant, delicious, whatever other heaps of superlatives that food bloggers overuse to describe their food. But even as all those other food bloggers talk about how much their own dishes on their blogs are amazing, perfect for summer/fall/winter/spring, how this dish is deliciously yummy and that dish is mouthwateringly fantastic, the food at this wedding, the one that is made with love, served with love, at the wedding of Garrett and Brian, really was all that. There was tacos served by the awesome taco truck, salsa made by friends, tamales made by our host, a cheese course designed with love, a wedding cake made my Garrett’s former Pastry Chef mentor and 65 jars of jams made by Garrett and Brian for the guests to take home. Oh yes, there was more than enough food!

Garrett and Brian's Wedding by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies with Toffee Bits. Photo by Sarah Maren

Photo by Sarah Maren

Maybe the food that we ate was so magnificent because of the people we were with; this fabulous group of friends who came to see Garrett and Brian get married. The celebration of two people in love is always a joyous event but seeing Garrett and Brian look at each other throughout the day, a private moment made public, made the day even more magical.

Garrett and Brian's Wedding by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love

Or maybe it was because of all the wine and beer we drank. Alcohol always is a social lubricant, and as the evening progressed, we all ate ourselves silly after the ceremony, drank ourselves happy and danced until our feet ached. Oh yes, there was much dancing that occurred, and thankfully our new friend Guy, picked up AJ’s camera and shot a few actions shots. AJ and I stayed as late as we could, before finally tearing ourselves away, driving back to San Francisco afterwards.

Garrett and Brian's Wedding by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love

In the end, I looked back at the wedding and realize Garrett and Brian are awesome together. No cookie will ever come between them; especially now that I’ve given them this recipe to make it at home. Congratulations Garrett and Brian. I can’t think of a more amazing, perfect for each other, delicious couple than you two.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 8, 2012 at 6:12 am

I simply love these! Great flavours :)

Irvin October 12, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Katrina. The cookies really were great!

cindy October 8, 2012 at 7:40 am

These cookies have so many of my favorites in them, and, I’m a sucker for intimate weddings and head-over-heels couples!

Irvin October 12, 2012 at 7:27 pm

The couple really was utterly adorable and so very much in love. Such a fab day!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen October 8, 2012 at 10:55 am

I love Garrett’s blog! That’s awesome that you were part of his special day!

I have never even heard of mesquite flour, but I’m going to keep an eye out for it! I love trying new ingredients.

Irvin October 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Mesquite flour is kind of hard to find, but totally worth tracking down. It has that slightly smoky deep earthy flavor that really adds an great subtle flavor to chocolate or gingerbread. The only problem (other than it being hard to find) is that it’s a bit expensive…

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. October 8, 2012 at 11:23 am

Wouldn’t you know I’ve been holding on to a pound of mesquite flour in my freezer? Clearly it’s been waiting for these cookies!

Thanks for sharing the recipe and the wedding action shots – since I took exactly one photo that night (must have been the homebrewed beer… oops), I’m glad you and Guy were on hand to document everything. :)

Irvin October 12, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Get to it! I adore mesquite flour. Such a wonderful addition to cakes and such. SO fantastic to see you. And I actually wish I had taken MORE photos. But what are you going to do?

Garrett October 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm

So this actually made me get all teary eyed atmy desk at work. Thank you, Irvin. It was so wonderful having you and AJ there to celebrate with us. The wedding wouldn’t have been complete without you buys there. Plus, those cookies were AMAZING. We destroyed the leftovers on the honeymoon. ;)
eating with love,
Garrett

Irvin October 12, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Yay! I was so thrilled to get to celebrate you and Brian’s wedding. And I’m extra thrilled that you guys liked the cookies. You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for having us.

Belinda @zomppa October 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Here’s to the happy couple!! And with these cookies, they are off to a life full of bliss and sweetness!

Irvin October 12, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I can only hope! So happy these cookies could be a part of their wedding. May they have a lifetime of bliss and sweetness.

Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen October 9, 2012 at 8:06 am

Not knowing any of these at your celebration.. I am certain this blog post will bring back wonderful memories of a lovely day! I can only imagine the food at a food writer’s wedding would be remarkable! All the best to the Garrett and Brian!! ps.. the cookies and your photography.. fantastic!

Irvin October 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm

You are so right. As expected, the food at a food writer’s wedding was incredible! I can only hope that Garrett and Brian will occasionally come back to this post now and then to reminisce.

Stephanie October 9, 2012 at 9:45 am

Best wedding ever. Best food ever! And, best couple ever. :)

Irvin October 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Agreed! Best. Ever.

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal October 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I’ve been looking for a recipe to use pistachios with. Great recipe. I don’t have any mesquite flour though, what could I use instead?

Irvin October 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm

If you read my headnotes, in the second paragraph, I talk about substitutions. If you don’t have mesquite flour, just use 1/4 cup of all purpose flour in it’s place.

Annie October 17, 2012 at 10:25 am

Great wedding! That looks like quite a party and a feast.

I have mesquite growing on my property. I should go out and find my own mesquite pods and grind my own flour. Too bad I am such a lazy slut. ;D

Gail October 23, 2012 at 5:48 am

You KNOW I’m a sucker for a cookie. And a wedding.
Congrats to the happy couple!