Gluten Free Maple Oat and Dried Cherry Shortbread Cookies

by Irvin on September 3, 2012 · 17 comments

Gluten Free Maple Oat and Dried Cherry Shortbread Cookies by Irvin Lin of Eat The Love

I started to write a post about AJ’s love of oatmeal for breakfast. I wanted to write about because I made these Gluten Free Maple Oat and Dried Cherry Shortbread cookies based on a recipe from The Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook. But as I wrote the post, I realized I had single handedly written the most boring post ever. Even more boring than the Julie parts of Julie and Julia (you know what I’m talking about, no matter how adorable Amy Adams was, she couldn’t save those parts of the movie). Yes, my blog posts was EVEN more boring than that. I couldn’t do that to you guys. More importantly I couldn’t do that to Sara and Hugh of The Sprouted Kitchen.

The problem is that most of my life is fairly unexciting. I know that it sometime seems like I live a fun packed, crazy life. Jetting off to exotic locales like St. Louis and Indianapolis at a moment notice. Hanging out with goats. Occasionally get crazy with the Amish. But really, my life is rather sedate. In fact, for the entire month of August, I mostly stayed within my apartment and buckled down and did work. I mean, I did get out about a bit, including helping to teach a class with my friend Dianne on food blogging for travel writers (where I got to meet Susan Orlean, who is an amazing individual, as well as Andrew McCarthy who is a super nice guy. Yes, that Andrew McCarthy). But otherwise, I stayed in, did work, and baked a lot.

Sometimes I wished my life was as jet-set marvelous as some other bloggers out there (but really who doesn’t wish that?). But instead it’s mostly made up of little things like steel cut oats for breakfast or making Sunday dinner with AJ or doing dishes – lots and lots of dishes (I would kill for a dishwasher…and an apartment that could fit a dishwasher in it). But one of the reasons I love cookbooks like The Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook, is that I can live vicariously through their recipes. Whenever another blogger comes out with a cookbook (and there have been many) it makes me even more excited because it means I can just sit on my couch and flip through their book, peering into their lives, one page at a time. Sure I can do that on their blog, but the feel of the pages on my fingers makes it all the more real to me I guess. Cookbooks by chefs and professional cookbook authors are wonderful, I own tons of them, but when I get a cookbook by a food blogger, I get that special thrill because I feel like I already know them a bit. I go to people’s food blogs for the recipes but also for their stories and to get to know them. Isn’t that why people come to this blog? I mean you guys can get recipes anywhere. But you can only get my utterly charming personality here at Eat the Love!

So when I stumbled upon (not virtually Stumbled Upon but real life stumbled upon) their recipe for an oatmeal shortbread cookie in their book, I knew I wanted to adapt it. Sara makes it with regular all purpose flour and adds a drizzle of chocolate which makes it look really seductive. But I wanted to keep the cookie more similar to the way AJ eats his steel cut oats in the morning. AJ thanked me when I made the cookies for him and I think you will too once you eat them.

Sara and Hugh of The Sprouted Kitchen will be visiting San Francisco and signing books at one of my favorite bookstores in the world, Omnivore Books this coming Sunday, September 9th from 3 to 4pm. Sadly I won’t be able to attend as I am a hermit (no no, I actually have a prior commitment), but if you can make it, tell them I say hello!

Special thanks to Ten Speed Press for sending me a review copy of The Sprouted Kitchen. Even though they provided a complimentary copy of the book for me, all opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for this post.

Belinda @zomppa September 3, 2012 at 5:14 am

Nothing wrong with chilling out with loved ones making and eating delicious “breakfast” items like this!

Irvin September 4, 2012 at 12:17 am

Seriously! I love chilling out. Sometimes too much. I need to find a healthy balance of hanging out with people and not overdoing it…

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 3, 2012 at 6:27 am

These sound lovely! What a unique treat :)

Irvin September 4, 2012 at 12:17 am

Why thank you Katrina!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen September 3, 2012 at 9:41 am

I love cookbooks from bloggers too. Ever since Joy the Baker’s cookbook came out, I’ve had a hard time baking from any other books!

It seems like AJ and I must enjoy our oats the same way – I love adding dried cherries to mine as well!

Irvin September 4, 2012 at 12:17 am

Yes! And Joy’s cookbook is lovely. So very much like hanging out with Joy!

Teresa September 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Nice adaptation! The texture looks perfect, too. It’s nice to see folks embracing gluten-free baking, even when they don’t have to. I think it helps to push the quality of g-f baking forward, as more good recipes appear.

Irvin September 4, 2012 at 12:16 am

Well, you know that I’ve been baking gluten free for eight or nine years now right? I love baking gluten free! It’s been a huge part of my life, and has opened me up to a world of different flours and flavors. In fact, I think one of my very first recipes on this blog was gluten free…

Teresa September 4, 2012 at 7:21 pm

It’s something I’ve always appreciated about your blog.

Brian @ A Thought For Food September 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Can’t wait to get my hands on that freakin’ book! Soon… very soon. And now I’m going to watch Julie and Julia (and skip over all the Julie parts).

Irvin September 4, 2012 at 12:18 am

I really REALLY wish the DVD had a “Play only Julia parts” selection. It would have been such a better movie. ;)

sara September 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm

thanks so much for the nice words! they look fabulous. wish you could be there on sunday, would have loved to meet you. another time. thanks again, take care!

Irvin September 4, 2012 at 12:20 am

Another time for sure. Enjoy your time here in San Francisco! Omnivore is the best. Tell Celia I say hello!

Sarvani @ baker in disguise September 4, 2012 at 1:48 am

haha.. couldnt agree with you more.. we all put up a more charming version of ourselves on the blog… !! and absolutely love the sound of these..go on the must-bake list!!

thelittleloaf September 4, 2012 at 5:19 am

I really want this cookbook! I’ve recently fallen completely in love with the Sprouted Kitchen blog, it’s just brilliant.

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet September 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

Oh stop…you are a rockstar and you know it. ;) I love the idea of oatmeal shortbread. And now I will have to make them! My daughter lives on oatmeal. She eats it every morning as well. I bet she’d go bonkers for these cookies. Thanks for sharing Irvin!

xo
Heather

Dave M. September 7, 2012 at 5:22 am

I love the honesty of this post. It must be very hard to not only come up with an inventive recipe but also to have an engaging story to complement it. You do a great job!