Bergamot Orange & Thyme Semolina Olive Oil Cake with Honey Vodka Glaze & Inn at Cedar Falls

by Irvin on May 14, 2012 · 19 comments

I had been in Ohio for a couple of days and I was already impressed with Amish Country. We had stayed at the charming Inn at Honey Run as well visited a small Amish bakery called Miller’s Bakery. We took off from the bakery for the next inn, the alluringly named Inn at Cedar Falls after stuffing ourselves with baked goods. I expected rustic and woodsy and it didn’t disappoint, but was surprised with the the addition of spa treatments and sophisticated fine dining (no roughing it here!). The dessert we had for our dinner inspired this Bergamot Orange & Thyme Semolina Olive Oil Cake with Honey Vodka Glaze.

Bergamot-Orange-Thyme-Olive-Oil-Polenta-Bundt-Cake-Honey-Vanilla-Vodka-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Lead

The meandering drive through local roads, before we hit the highway, offered plenty of postcard worthy shots, as us food bloggers kept on sticking our cameras out the window to try to capture the scenery. From Amish men walking their horses, to red barns and cows lazing about, every way I looked, I had my camera out taking shots, trying to capture a part of the country I had never seen before. Had they actually slowed down for at ever single picture opportunity, I don’t know if we would have made it to our destination at all.

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-1

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-2

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-4

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-18

The Inn at Cedar Falls is located, as you might guess, right near Cedar Falls, a glorious waterfall. I’ve seen my fair share of waterfalls, especially with my trips to Hawaii, but the Cedar Falls hike is pretty spectacular. I can only imagine the beauty of the waterfall in Autumn, walking through the turning leaves, as you hike down to the falls, and then walk under the falls itself. As it was, it was pretty stunning when we saw it. I don’t know if my camera did it justice, but I did my best.

Ohio-3-Great-Inns-Tour-Amish-Country-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-cedar-falls-2

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-500-3

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-6

Ohio-3-Great-Inns-Tour-Amish-Country-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-cedar-falls-1

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-500-2

The Inn at Cedar Falls is pretty rustic, but don’t let that fool you. I had a wonderful relaxing massage (there might have been some light napping involved with it) and a sprawling grounds and solidly built buildings that made all of us want to curl up and chat late into the night next to the fireplace. Waking up early for the sunrise had me walking with Greg of Sippity Sup to a nearby lake.

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-9

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-20

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-7

Ohio-3-Great-Inns-Tour-Amish-Country-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-cedar-falls-4

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-8

Ohio-3-Great-Inns-Tour-Amish-Country-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-cedar-falls-3

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-500-5

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-15

Of course, the highlight (well, one of our highlights) of our stay there was the food. Chef Anthony created a stellar menu, using local distiller Middle West Spirits vodka and whiskey for a memorable experience. Starting with the Bibb Greens salad with OYO whiskey sour vinaigrette to the Cowboy steak with OYO Whiskey Demi-Glaze to the final Lemon Thyme Cake with OYO vodka each bite was better than the last. I had privilege of visiting Middle West Spirits on my last trip to Columbus and their story was pretty unique. The dinner itself had me thinking of all the things I could make with their vodka and whiskey, if only it was distributed out here in San Francisco. Someone get on that!

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-10

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-11

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-12

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-13

The next morning, the inn provided us a wonderful down home breakfast to make sure that we were up for the hard arduous journey ahead of us. We were heading to another inn, with food, food and more food. Oh and some more scenery in between. It’s a tough life, and I for one thank the Inn at Cedar Falls for taking care of us.

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-14

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-500-1

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-17

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-16

Amish-Country-Inn-At-Cedar-Falls-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-Vertical-500-4

Special thanks goes to The Inn at Honey RunThe Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls and Murphin Ridge Inn for hosting me for this trip to Ohio Amish Country. All travel, accommodations, meals and tours were provided by the hosts. That said, I was not compensated otherwise for what I wrote above and everything I have written is my own opinion.

SMITH BITES May 14, 2012 at 7:57 am

oh Irvin, you’ve outdone yourself and captured this part of the trip perfectly – right down to the photography and this absolutely fabulous cake!! am a big, big fan of Earl Grey tea – have a feeling i’ll be making this rendition!

Belinda @zomppa May 14, 2012 at 10:43 am

Sounds like such an AMAZING trip. Rustic, romantic with all the amenities and luxuries. The photos take me away…no really, please take away to here! The cake…well that goes without saying. A slice of that and a cup of tea in this rain would be perfect.

Barbara May 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I once visited friends in Cleveland Ohio. I wish I had known about this area, it would have been lovely to visit. I have semolina as a cereal for breakfast each morning. Going to try baking with it now I’ve seen this.

merri May 14, 2012 at 3:15 pm

yum that food looks great and the scenery is beautiful.

marla May 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm

This cake you created sounds amazing! Looks like it has the perfect crumb. I love the idea of olive oil with the fragrant thyme and bergamot. Great shots from Cedar Falls!

Jenny (vintagesugarcube) May 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm

This is the best foodie post I’ve seen in a long time! Beeeeeeutiful pics and that cake you reconstructed looks devilish good.

Jenny (vintagesugarcube) May 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm

PS…And the great shots from Ohio make me swoon. :)

Russell at Chasing Delicious May 14, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Look at those clydesdales – or whatever draft breed they are – they’re freakin huge! or that man was very short. Either way it looks like a fun trip. And This cake looks wonderful. I love the bergamot and that honey vodka glaze sounds scrumptious too.

Katherine Martinelli May 15, 2012 at 12:23 am

What a gorgeous trip! I’ve never spent any time in Ohio but you’ve got me rethinking that.

Tina@flourtrader May 15, 2012 at 2:12 am

Lovely shots from your time in Amish country. A great place to go when you are wanting to get back to the basics and revitalize.
This cake does have some wonderful flavor ingredients and your picture conveys a perfect crumb. This one is a keeper, saving the recipe so I can enjoy it at home!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com May 15, 2012 at 2:13 am

You’ve captured the essence of Cedar’s Falls oh so beautifully :)

Love olive oil cake — cannot get enough every single time!

baker in disguise May 15, 2012 at 5:07 am

it’s tea time here right now.. please can I have a slice of that cake of yours!! I promise to be good.. just one piece.. please!!!

Cookin' Canuck May 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I lived on the east coast for several years and regret that I never made it to Amish country. You painted such a wonderful picture of the winding roads, horse-drawn carriages and old inns. This thyme cake sounds fantastic and the honey vodka glaze is a really nice touch.

Rachel Jane May 18, 2012 at 5:55 am

This cake reminds me of my favourite black tea, Lady Grey – it has that beautiful bergamot flavour that is just so tantalising! I do love the cake tin you chose, I really need to get myself one of those.

Lauren May 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Where are you finding all these late season citrus? I tracked down what I believe to be the last of all of Southern California’s blood oranges last week–I have two left and my biggest problem is deciding whether to make your cake or cookies. It’s a hard life. ;) Wish I could get bergamots this late in the season–well, and by get I mean order. Bergamots and sevilles are extremely rare in Los Angeles–I usually have to order them from upstate to get them. In any case, I will be making this recipe next winter. :D Thank you for the endless inspiration!

Brian @ A Thought For Food May 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I love how you can always find a way to take a dessert to the next level. I’m going to have to try this bergamot orange at some point. Sounds interesting!

Hope we can all return to these inns one day. How lovely that would be!

Devon @ the food bitch blog May 20, 2012 at 7:01 am

I visited Ohio Amish country as a teenager & was so intrigued by it. I’d love to go back as an adult so I can fully appreciate all its glory.

Ki May 21, 2012 at 1:53 am

thank you so much for posting this recipe, it looks wonderful and i can’t wait to try it!

Barbara | Creative Culinary May 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I’m originally from the Midwest and my ex was from Indiana where there are a number of Amish or Mennonite communities. I loved traveling there; if in a hurry it would be a mistake but something about their absolutely laidback yet still hardworking lifestyle was very compelling. The Midwest is too often blown off as not comparable to living on either coast; I’m glad you got to experience some of the beauty and certainly some of the food!