by Irvin on March 5, 2012 · 29 comments

Carrot-Cake-Marshmallow-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-1

You need these in your life.

Have I mentioned how much I love my food blogging friends? I’m not talking about the ones I chit-chat with on Twitter late at night but haven’t met in real life yet (though I love them as well, and I hope that we can all meet sometime soon). I’m talking about the ones that I go and get brunch with here in San Francisco, scheming about taking over the world, one sugary treat at a time. Take, for instance, my friend Shauna Sever. She and I immediately bonded over our love of cake, cookies and brownies back when I was just a newbie blogger, barely a month old and crashing the First San Francisco Food Blogger Bake Sale. So when she told me that she was writing a cookbook called Marshmallow Madness!, I immediately knew it was going to fantastic and I couldn’t wait to get my sticky sweet hands on it. Thankfully her publisher sent me a review copy of the puffilicious publication and I started flipping through the book to figure out what to make. My final ‘mallow creation, which isn’t in her book, but uses one of her techniques, coincidentally would work perfectly with the upcoming Peep™-tastic holiday of Easter. Visualize how awesome your Easter basket will be, filled with these homemade Carrot Cake Marshmallows featuring Carrot Marshmallows and Cream Cheese Marshmallows.

Carrot-Cake-Marshmallow-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-6

I'm just going to pretend that these are good for me. I mean carrots are good for your eyes right?

It turns out that carrot marshmallows and cream cheese marshmallows are not the easiest thing to make however, which may have been why Shauna did not include them in her book. Not that there aren’t fantastic other recipes in her book, and not that Shauna couldn’t have just whipped these up with her eyes closed. Making marshmallows at home are super duper easy, especially if you follow the methodology that Ms. Sever has developed. But the problem with both the carrot part, and the cream cheese part is that my original test batch fell flat and turned dense and rubbery like a joke chicken pulled out of a top hat. I needed something with more fluff. Enter the egg white.

Carrot-Cake-Marshmallow-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-4

Fluffy bites of carrot & cream cheese love.

Most of Shauna’s recipes eschew the egg white for a couple of reasons. It’s one extra step in making the marshmallows and you have to make sure that you are using quality fresh egg whites, as the egg whites don’t heat up enough to kill any bacteria that might be in them. I’ve never had a problem with egg whites in my marshmallows, and in fact, prefer the extra bounce they give, but if it’s an issue with you, maybe this recipe isn’t for you. Since nearly every other recipe in Shauna’s book is egg white free (including an awesome vegan marshmallow) by all means, don’t let my silly carrot cake marshmallow stop you from wading (or waddling as the case may be with my expanding waistline) into the m’mallow madness.

Carrot-Cake-Marshmallow-Eat-The-Love-Irvin-Lin-5

I can't stop eating these. Someone help me out please.

Of course, if you aren’t scared of the egg white (or you want to use pasteurized egg whites, which don’t quite fluff up but will work) I definitely recommend these. Though Shauna doesn’t have my carrot cake marshmallow recipe in her book, it’s definitely keeping in the spirit of her book, which includes some pretty tasty little gems like Key Lime Pie, Fuzzy Navel Marshmallows and Maple Bacon Marshmallows. Turns out marshmallows are a pretty blank slate in which you can impress all sorts of fabulous flavors onto. of course, once you taste fresh made marshmallows, in the myriad of varieties that you can make them in, you’ll never go back to the grocery store kind. With this book, I expect marshmallow expert Shauna to have taken over the world sooner rather than later. You have been forewarned.

Special thanks goes to Quirk Books for sending me a review copy of Marshmallow Madness. Though I received a complimentary review copy of the book, all opinions stated above are my own and I was not compensated for this post.

Lora March 5, 2012 at 6:33 am

These are so fabulous. I love the beautiful color.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 5, 2012 at 8:05 am

I was part of the west coast competitors in Marsh Madness and clearly, you are extremely stiff competition because these look…ridiculously good.

Amazing job & gorgeous photography!

Irvin March 6, 2012 at 1:15 am

No worries about me being competition, I’m not part of the Marsh Madness. In fact, I didn’t even know about it until you left a comment. That’s how out of it I am! But good luck with representing the west coast. Your ‘smores bar looks out-of-this world.

Belinda @zomppa March 5, 2012 at 10:07 am

These are the COOLEST marshmallows ever!! They are perfect and so creative – you need to get these to market.

Irvin March 6, 2012 at 1:16 am

Ha! I don’t know if I’m cut out to be a small batch artisan food creator. I do it every now and then but it’s WAY too much work, and I’m WAY too lazy for that…

tracy March 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm

and the salivation begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria March 5, 2012 at 12:26 pm

These look absolutely amazing!

Garrett March 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I think this is one of the most creative things I have ever seen ever.

Irvin March 6, 2012 at 1:16 am

Awwww. Thanks Garrett! Coming from you, that’s a great compliment.

Fil March 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hey Irvin! I was just thinking about making some passion fruit marshmallows with passion fruit syrup I got from Kauai… but I love carrot cake so this really has my mouth watering, so I think I’ll try these too!

Irvin March 6, 2012 at 1:18 am

Hey Fil! Passion fruit syrup sounds FANTASTIC. Oh, how I miss Hawaii. Darn it. Now you have me mentally visualizing hanging out on a beach. *sigh*

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen March 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Whoa. I’m not going to lie – the length of this recipe TERRIFIES me, but they sound absolutely amazing. If I could have just 10% of your creativity I’d be a happy lady!

Irvin March 6, 2012 at 1:20 am

Ha! Yeah, after I wrote out that recipe I was all WHOA. That’s why I put that little disclaimer in my header, about the fear factor of the length.

BUT… don’t be scared! Don’t be. It’s that long because you have to make two batches of marshmallows. But each batch is pretty easy to make. The first one requires you to reduce the carrot juice. The second batch requires you to whip the cream cheese. Otherwise, they are both pretty standard marshmallow recipes. If you have any problems or questions, just holler. Happy to help out!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray (Soon to be Rachel Cooks) March 5, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Amazing!

Jonathan March 5, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Let me be the first to mention how much I love your opening photograph. Larger-than-life food couture editorial. Thank you for sharing, Irvin!

Irvin March 6, 2012 at 1:20 am

Yay! Thanks Jonathan. I decided I wanted to give the opening photo a big “HERO” shot of the marshmallows. Then everything else fell into place. Glad you liked it!

thelittleloaf March 6, 2012 at 5:32 am

This post is so much fun! LOVE the idea of two tone marshmallows, and making them carrot cake flavoured? Amazing.

Ken┃hungry rabbit March 6, 2012 at 7:29 am

You and these bouncy marshmallows makes me smile from ear to ear. I MUST get my hand on Shauna’s book to make my own marshmallow madness.

vanillasugarblog March 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

fabulous my dear, just freaking fabulous!

Valerie March 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Irvin
My boyfriend and I tried making these by spitting up the tasks. Little did I know that he didn’t read the 1/4 tsp of salt and added instead 1/4 cup. :( so we had to toss the batch and try again another time.

I do have a question about the vanilla bean. Could you use extract instead of the bean and get the same effect because those suckers are freaking expensive !?!

And thank you for sparking our need to bake with these fun recipes

Irvin March 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm

OMG! Man 1/4 cup of salt. Crazy!

And yes, vanilla beans are crazy expensive. I like the look of the tiny specks of vanilla beans floating in the white cream cheese marshmallow, as well as the extra dimension that fresh beans give the marshmallow, but you can certainly either skip it or add an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract in it’s place.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) March 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I will so be making these! Such a fun idea! Beautiful photos.

rachel jane March 14, 2012 at 1:46 am

What an incredible concept. My mouth is watering!

Lesley March 17, 2012 at 9:38 am

I cannot wait to make these, what an inspired idea!!!!

Shila March 18, 2012 at 9:33 pm

My first task upon getting Shauna’s book will be to make a Titanic, a poorly-but hilariously named coffee drink that my local barista makes with a latte and vanilla bean marshmallow.
I am so so excited for the vegetarian marshmallow recipe, as making veggie marshmallows would be a dream come true

Candace July 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hi! I have tried my hand at several variations of marshmallows and would love to try incorporating the cream cheese marshmallows you made into some new variations, but I was wondering about the food safety factor of using cream cheese? Do you refrigerate these?

Irvin July 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Oh good question! Actually I DO refrigerate them. I went ahead and added a note about that at the end of the recipe. Thank you for pointing that out.

I actually did serve them to people after they had been sitting out on the counter for four hours and there was no issue, but if you have them around for a few days, I would stick them in the fridge.

Sandra Veeremaa May 14, 2013 at 12:29 pm

How much is 2 packages gelatin in grams? And can i use gelatin leaves?

Irvin May 14, 2013 at 6:36 pm

1 package of gelatine is roughly 7 g, so two packages would be 14g. That said, converting to gelatin sheets is a hard question. Depending on the gelatin sheet strength bloom (usually it’s gold, but sometime it’s silver or platinum) it can be anywhere from 3 to 5 sheets per package. I know David Lebovitz usually finds 3.5 sheets per 1 package of gelatine works for him. You can bounce over to his post on gelatine for more information about conversations.