Apple Cookie Recipe – Caramel Apple Snickerdoodle Cookies & a trip to the Indianapolis Museum of Art

by Irvin on January 23, 2012 · 15 comments

Apple Cookie Recipe, caramel apple snickerdoodles! By Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. | www.eatthelove.com

I’ve had this terrible cold that morphed into a cough that morphed into sinus infection that’s morphed back into a cough. Or, at least, that’s what I think is happening to me. AJ has told me I should go to the doctor since it’s been so long since I’ve been hacking up nasty stuff, and I probably should listen to him. In the meanwhile, I’ve been thinking of different posts and different things I want to bake, but I can barely make it out of bed, and every time I do rally to get out of the house…I find myself relapsing ever so slightly. Of course today’s post was suppose to coincide with the Lunar New Year. I had every intention of creating a stunning new contemporary twist on a classic Chinese dessert like I did last year…and I didn’t. I mean I tried, trust me, I tried. I made one version, which turned out…not bad, but not really blog-worthy, and then I got side tracked even though I meant to revise the recipe and make them again, and then AJ looked really cute when he laid down in bed for a nap, and I thought I would maybe lie down next to him for ten minutes and then an hour and half went by and apparently I needed more rest than I thought. So no Lunar New Year post today; maybe later this week. But for now, I present to you an apple cookie recipe that rocks, my Caramel Apple Snickerdoodles Cookies that I whipped up last month, back when I was on a cookie baking binge for the holidays. I hope you aren’t cookie’d out, because I kind of love them. (Jump directly to the recipe.)

Last month AJ and I had gone back to Indiana for the holidays, which is AJ’s hometown. Usually we split the time between Indiana and St. Louis (my hometown) but circumstances had us just going to Indiana for Christmas. This meant we actually had more time to spend in Indiana, running around to see the sights and visit with friends. It also meant we were able to get to the Indianapolis Museum of Art, which has changed a lot since I’ve last been there. Though they still have their iconic LOVE sculpture by Robert Indiana, they also have renovated the Lilly house, restoring it to it’s old glory.

Robert Indiana Love Sculpture. Photo by AJ Bates for Eat the Love. | www.eatthelove.com

AJ caught me instagramming love.

The desk in the Lily House at the Indiana Art Museum by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love. | www.eatthelove.com

The desk in the Lily House at the Indiana Art Museum

Silver punch bowl at the Lily House at the Indiana Art Museum by Irvin Lin of Eat the Love | www.eatthelove.com

As I took this picture I wondered how I could sneak out the punch bowl and cups under my coat, but AJ stopped me.

The best part of my visit there, however, was wandering around the 100 Acres, a gifted land to the museum that they have created (and are still creating) into an art and nature park. I, of course, want to call it the 100 Acre Woods (after Winnie the Pooh’s 100 Acre Woods) but this one seems both more real, and more magical than Christopher Robin’s woods. AJ and I spent a little bit of time exploring the various sculptures and environments, wandering to and fro.

AJ and Irvin at the Indiana Art Museum. Photo by AJ Bates for Eat the Love. | www.eatthelove.com

Time was catching up on us, and we realized that we needed to head out to dinner. So we left the museum and head over to AJ’s brother’s house where we they were planning on making dinner for us. I decided I wanted to make some cookies for them as dessert. I had been experimenting with adding burnt sugar caramel to cookies, and figured why not experiment me some more? Turns out they loved the cookies, which was both a good thing and bad thing as AJ’s sister-in-law was trying to limit her sugar, flour and dairy intake for the new year. Had she told me that before hand, I would have made something more suitable for dessert, but oh well. I don’t think she was too unhappy as took a third cookie. All in all, it was a great day in the Midwest, made even better with these cookies.

Walking the 1000 Acres wears one out.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods January 23, 2012 at 5:29 am

Fun post and gorgous photos! Love snickerdoodles and art museums. Looks like you had a great time!

Shawn January 23, 2012 at 5:53 am

Thanks for the lovely tour! I’m definitely trying your recipe(what’s better than caramel apples & snickerdoodles?!) See a doctor, please :)

sippitysup January 23, 2012 at 7:49 am

I am serving Hot Toddies over at Sippity Sup. Can’t make you feel worse can it? Feel better than get to work on those moon cakes. GREG

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 23, 2012 at 9:29 am

these look great! I made white chocolate snickerdoodles a couple weeks ago and the caramel apple sounds heavenly!

Jay @ LocalFood.me January 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

The intersection of food and museums! Two of my favorite things.

Deanna B January 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh this cookie has everything I want to eat. Especially almost burnt caramel. I’m a nut for the stuff.

Lynn Lovejoy from Order in the Kitchen January 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm

ok first of all these look amazing and snickerdoodles are my favorite cookie… also, I love that LOVE sculpture, it’s like my favorite of all time (up there with the classics like Pieta in Rome) but anywayyy I’m so jealous you went to see it! I love that in the picture of you instagraming you can see LOVE on your screen… the whole moment was captured beautifully…I also love the picture of you in the tunnel and when you were wiped out on the big red ball…priceless. hope i do get to meet you IRL at BHF :)

Lynn Lovejoy from Order in the Kitchen January 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm

i just noticed that i used the word favorite twice and loveX 5 LOL

Steph January 24, 2012 at 11:19 am

I’m not all about apples in baked goods, but the boy loves snickerdoodles, so I may have to try these!

The Suzzzz January 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm

That photo of you standing next to one wall looking at the other one is fantastic, I love the composition and the light. I have to try these cookies. For the last 2 weeks I’ve been working on a 5x Chocolate cookie for my little sister who LOVES chocolate and frankly I’m all chocolate-ed out, as is my chief taste tester, aka my husband. These seem like they’d be a nice switch up for dessert this week.

Annie January 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I want to like homemade caramel but it often just tastes burnt, even though I am careful not to go beyond a deep golden color. :( I like the idea, though.

Do go to the doctor. You may have an infection that needs antibiotics if it’s lingering this long. Take care of yourself.

Irvin January 27, 2012 at 2:42 am

Thanks Annie! I do need to make an appointment. I’ve just been too preoccupied by other things…

That said, you might want to try to stop the caramel from going to deep golden brown and just stopping it at a lighter brown. I sometimes will turn off the heat once it brown starts to appear, and just let the residual heat of the pan turn the rest of the sugar to caramel. Perhaps that will help with the burnt taste.

Of course, we all have different palates and it’s possible that yours is just more sensitive to the flavors of burnt sugar!

Danae February 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

I love the addition of a lifestyle post and the recipe. Makes me feel like we are getting to know the chef behind these wonderful creations even more, keep it up!

merri March 9, 2012 at 4:21 pm

love the photos! i don’t think i’ve ever had burnt caramel..

vanessa October 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Love this recipe! I substituted 115 g of shortening with ~115g of apple pulp left over from my homemade cider. I omitted the apple chips because I didn’t have any on hand! Delicious and cannot wait to share with family and friends :)